[Event] NISSAN TRAILSEEKER #5 Down & Dirty

Tim_Fair

Well yesterday I proved what not to do on one of those downhills.

It was on the half marathon at about the 30km mark. There was a steep rocky decline with the 3 arrows. Most people were walking down there.

I rode down and about halfway down I released all brakes and went for it.

I got all the way to the bottom with a hell of a speed and then I was going over the handlebars. In that split second I still remember thinking this is going to hurt.

I remember coming down on the side of my head and the top of my right shoulder. My helmet took a good thud. I wasn't knocked out but I had instant pain in my shoulder.

I then soldiered on and the last 10km was painful.

I went through to hospital last night because by that stage I knew this was not going to go away.

Result torn ligaments and tendons. One times very sore shoulder.

One other thing, anybody else battle with that dust getting into your lungs. I am struggling with that. If I cough I can almost taste that dust.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Live and learn that 3 arrows mean something. A similar thing happened to me comingng off the mountain at Van Galens. OTB and a big gash on the head and concussion. A very classy unconventional dismount!. Get well soon..

I got a seeding of E... So asked the as seeding guys to bump me up and they did, put me in C.

I now know I AM NOT IN THAT CALIBER. In my seeding batch I normally overtake quite allot. In the c batch rider after rider overtook me... Even D batch riders.

Ended the 70km with a time of 3:29.

So yes il stick to what's sas say, the constant overtaking knocked my confidence a bit. But overall I'm happy with my time

I got a seeding of E... So asked the as seeding guys to bump me up and they did, put me in C.

I now know I AM NOT IN THAT CALIBER. In my seeding batch I normally overtake quite allot. In the c batch rider after rider overtook me... Even D batch riders.

Ended the 70km with a time of 3:29.

So yes il stick to what's sas say, the constant overtaking knocked my confidence a bit. But overall I'm happy with my time

I also finished 3:20-something on Endo, official time usually slower from E batch so you would've fit right in :-) Managed 2:50 for 60km but with my walking the rocky bit the last few kays was slow ...

One other thing, anybody else battle with that dust getting into your lungs. I am struggling with that. If I cough I can almost taste that dust.

The dust yesterday was nothing compared to last year when the event was in the middle of winter. But I know what you're talking about, whoever rode the MTN Rooiberg race this year would know! There was about 2hrs of involuntary coughing after finishing the race because of all the dust that we had in the first 20 or so kilometres. Funny that you don't cough while riding but once you stop it feels like the coughing never ends.

I also finished 3:20-something on Endo, official time usually slower from E batch so you would've fit right in :-) Managed 2:50 for 60km but with my walking the rocky bit the last few kays was slow ...

Was seeded E batch, got bumped to D, also got to the last water point at around 2:45. Walking the rocky section really killed the time and was a bit blown in yhe last 2km... finished 3:22. Was pretty happy with that.

Is there not an option of having a longer chicken run for those rocky sections? Not being able to ride them cos there is a solid line of people walking on the trail is a bit of an issue. Or at least some marshalls keeping the walkers off the track.

I'd also like to see a distance/difficulty split, ie ride 2km further or ride up the side of Table Mountain.

Funny that no-one commented on the tour of the school at the end yet :) I must say I would have loved to have legs left by then, woul'd blasted it lol.

What a lekka race to end the year! Advendurance sets the standard for hosting big events. Still wish riders would walk to technical bits off the track as walking in the track spoils it for guys that want to ride...

Anyway, looking forward to doing some training over December and being a bit fitter for Sabie next year.

Dust was pretty intense in the first couple of km's. Sinus all clogged up. Got my Nexomist and Fexo 180 this morning so all will be better in a day or 2.

Check everybody next year!!!

Can you believe it. I am not in the Sa Seeding results. Having entered and completed all 5 Nissan Trail Seeker events in order to qualify for the Columbia T-shirt, I am now recorded as DNF at #5!!. At the time of finishing I thought the guy with the scanner was a bit casual. I asked him to verify whether he had scanned me correctly to which he confirmed that he had. Did anyone else have the same issue? I have emailed Advendurance to investigate.

What is the best site to look at results. I am using Sa Seeding, is this the best option?

Can you believe it. I am not in the Sa Seeding results. Having entered and completed all 5 Nissan Trail Seeker events in order to qualify for the Columbia T-shirt, I am now recorded as DNF at #5!!. At the time of finishing I thought the guy with the scanner was a bit casual. I asked him to verify whether he had scanned me correctly to which he confirmed that he had. Did anyone else have the same issue? I have emailed Advendurance to investigate.

What is the best site to look at results. I am using Sa Seeding, is this the best option?

Go to spectrum sport.

Don't worry bud, my better half is not in the results but got called up for the podium. Explain that?

Yoh, that upsets me. Has happened to me lots of times.

Makes my pimp hand twitch

There was actually two ladies writing down numbers and times as well as the hand held scanner as well as the overhead scanners ... they will have your time somewhere, probably a finger fault when transcribing (or some such)

Agree fully with Beet, they set the standard :)

Hi guys!

Tim you and your team can be very proud of how you took the input from the riders after last year's event and what you hosted for us this year.

Thank you for all the effort, I am sure that you guys do not hear this often enough but you can be sure that each of us sincerely appreciate everything that you put in to host these events!

It was truly a great day out and an awesome race!

We are all excited and looking forward to a great season next year! I'll be gunning for the 2014 columbia T!

Cheers

Excellent all-round series will defiantly do them next year again. Was well organised, wasn’t aware Gauteng had so many beautiful riding spots. This series was my introduction to mountain biking. Hope to improve my time from here onwards. So much fun !!!!

Thanks

Edited by CMK