Entering the MTB scene

Ryno van der Bijl

Hi I've just sold my road bike a week ago. I am eager to buy me a mtb but didnt know it would be so hard to find the right one. There are a lot of features to choose from and I dont know what is important and what not. Im not looking to spend my whole bank (4-5k) and would really appreciate any advice?

I saw there are some good deals. The road bike I had had a 60cm frame, what is equal to that when choosing between small medium and large?

Difficult to say depending on the frames in question. But I ride a 60cm road bike and a 19" or large MTB.

I saw there are some good deals. The road bike I had had a 60cm frame, what is equal to that when choosing between small medium and large?

60 road will be a large mtb frame .Even an xl in some frames .You will need an effective top tube of around 60cm

Rather go for a 29er or the new 27,5er depending on your size but not high end or expensive,then you can decide if you like off road without breaking the bank straight off the bat.

If you like it after 6 months to a year then sell it on the hub and get a better bike, the choice is single or double suspension with the double being more expensive.

Another idea is to go to the Cycle fare on the 25 to 27 Oct in JHB, then you can try and ride and see whats out there and get advice.

Ok thanks for the info, so im looking for large. I will visit a local shop tomrw and get a feel for the size. Do they have good deals a the mentioned cycle fare?

And also I saw disc brakes using cables and other using hydraulic, I know hydraulic is better but Ive never personally felt the difference, is the improvement found in hydraulic worth the extra cash?

Rather go for a 29er or the new 27,5er depending on your size but not high end or expensive,then you can decide if you like off road without breaking the bank straight off the bat.

If you like it after 6 months to a year then sell it on the hub and get a better bike, the choice is single or double suspension with the double being more expensive.

Another idea is to go to the Cycle fare on the 25 to 27 Oct in JHB, then you can try and ride and see whats out there and get advice.

your R4k will go much further with a 26 inch bike.

And also I saw disc brakes using cables and other using hydraulic, I know hydraulic is better but Ive never personally felt the difference, is the improvement found in hydraulic worth the extra cash?

Stay away from cable disks like you would avoid a date with George Michael.

Rather go for a 29er or the new 27,5er depending on your size

Why do you say this ? For the budget, the Fat Boy has it right. A second hand 26" bike off the hub will be a MUCH, MUCH better bicycle.

I only have one 26er and many 29ers. But I agree - much more bang for buck on 2nd hand 26 er. For your bucks it might be better to keep it simple. Hardtail 26 with better parts meaning less initial breakage and maintenance. Roadbikes have MUCH less running costs than MTB!

So I listened to everyones advice and got my frame size measured yesterday, which was a 26 large or 29 medium and went the hub and eventually found and bought me a Mongoose Meteore Elite 26" large for less than 4k. The components are excellent and it has fitted tubeless tires. The only thing is I cant find a 26 meteore elite on the interwebs, all it brings up are 29 ers. I am very happy with it, the only thing is it has a somewhat dirty chain, does anyone have tips to easily cleaning it?post-50122-0-67287800-1381913371_thumb.jpg

So I listened to everyones advice and got my frame size measured yesterday, which was a 26 large or 29 medium and went the hub and eventually found and bought me a Mongoose Meteore Elite 26" large for less than 4k. The components are excellent and it has fitted tubeless tires. The only thing is I cant find a 26 meteore elite on the interwebs, all it brings up are 29 ers. I am very happy with it, the only thing is it has a somewhat dirty chain, does anyone have tips to easily cleaning it?post-50122-0-67287800-1381913371_thumb.jpg

That is a good buy for 4K.

Also look at getting a slap sock to protect the frame from the chain slapping on it!

Google chain cleaning and you will find a bazillion good methodes

I will get that for the frame definitely. And I tested paraffin for a few min today and it worked great. Heard degreasers remove the lubricant from inside the chains connections which leads to all kinds of ****. Built me a stand and fitted the cleats and after falling two times got to ride my bike! And man does it feel good :clap:. Thanks again for the advice. Glad I stumbled across this website. Check you guys in the forums

Do 26 inch wheeled bikes just not work? Refuse to leave the garage?

If the right bike is available buy it no matter what the wheel size.

a better specced and handling bike will be found in the 26er second hand market and would give a better riding experience vs a more entry level new bike or sometimes over priced 29er .... let's not even go where the (Not newer as the 650B / 27.5 format has been around for many many years, just going main stream now) 650b's pricing would be

does a double suspension have two forks on the front or is that like a left, but combined with a righty?