[Event] 24 Hours Of Oak Valley

Dirtopia MTB Events

Njoy! Wish I could be there, but my wife is more important.

Haha. My girlfriend isn't keen on camping, so I'm riding the 3 hours instead this year. Still going to be fun, the singletrack is awesome!

Edited by MH for short

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my race report.

Braais: 2

Beers: 4

Hours slept: 8

Total Laps: 6 :blush: (nothing like a short camping weekend with a bit of MTB in between)

Night Laps: 1

HUGE respect to men's winner and ladies' winners. Pieter Erwee did 33 laps and Tracey Lentin did 21 laps. That's roughly 390 km and 6,270 m ascent, and 248 km and 3,990 m ascent, respectively (if my Polar's correct). That's a massive feat of endurance. :clap: :clap:

And a big thumbs up to the team from Dirtopia once again. Well organised, great venue and a fantastic loop. :thumbup:

Well done Meurant and team, this was excellent as usual.

I was a slacker and only rode the 3-hour slot, but still the singletrack was absolutely worth it.

Much respect to the top guys, serious dedication. I rode most of my 3rd lap with Lance, who was at that point on his 29th. On the climbs I could ride away from him, but damn, staying with him on the DH leg was only just possible. Crazy skills to be able to go that fast after going that far!

It was pretty fun..

My right quad blew up at about 2 a.m after 13 laps.. The endurence legs arent back yet and the gradient on some of the climbs was awkward.

Finished on 18 or 19 laps limping round a few times in the morning.

Next year I will ride it 32/20 not 34 and hopefully not be recovering from a broken ankle!

Big up to the Dirtopia crew, to the racers and the supporters who made the atmosphere fantastic which really helped us people dying of being 'not quite fit enough'...

Thoroughly enjoyed the event even if I did finish about 5 laps short of my goal.

Thank you!

Pieter was a machine - a fantastic solo ride from start to finish. Also - hats off to Tracey. Most of all - well done to Dirtopia. I'm so glad the numbers are up again - it's great to see the camp site crammed with tents and gazebos.

The schools competition is a stroke of genius, and compared to previous years, the kids this year were polite and courteous when asking for track - despite the urgency of the racing.

Well done Meurant and team, this was excellent as usual.

I was a slacker and only rode the 3-hour slot, but still the singletrack was absolutely worth it.

Much respect to the top guys, serious dedication. I rode most of my 3rd lap with Lance, who was at that point on his 29th. On the climbs I could ride away from him, but damn, staying with him on the DH leg was only just possible. Crazy skills to be able to go that fast after going that far!

Such a nice smooth rider that Lance chap is ... really not bad for a guy with a "pony tail"

I had a blast...until I came VERY short (at 5:45 AM...on my last of the double laps) and landed in that stream (after hitting the tree trunk lyuing over it) where the ticker tape indicate the bridge...

:thumbup: Thanks to Ruan??? (from one of the PWC teams) who was first to stop (in spite of racing for first spot - they were lying 2nd at that stage) and brought me back to conciousness (i gather I took a much deserved little rest just there in the water :blush: :blush: ) You sir, deserve a medal!! Hope they gave you an extra lap...as allowed per the rules.

Thanks to all the guys who all offered assistance...particularly the bloke who gave me a GU to get over the shock. It helped a lot...

Thanks to Meurant and his bakkie who bundu bashed to get to me and get me back out...also the paramedic lady for cleaning & patching me up...

post-5709-0-48028500-1391435864_thumb.jpg

Luckily for me, nothing broken! slight concussion...(I simply cannot believe how lucky i was...hitting that tree trunc with my back and flipping over it AND walking away from it) Just bruises and a buggered bike!!

Oak Valley - i'll be back in 2015 with a vengeance!! you haven't seen the last of me...

Ouch Cassie! Sounds like your crash was a bit worse than my wheel fold and cracked collar bone last year (I seem to remember you mentioning on my post that you passed right after I crashed).

I hope that you're soon fully recovered!

Such a nice smooth rider that Lance chap is ... really not bad for a guy with a "pony tail"

Haha, true. He was making me look bad, even with my neat haircut!

Ouch Cassie! Sounds like your crash was a bit worse than my wheel fold and cracked collar bone last year (I seem to remember you mentioning on my post that you passed right after I crashed).

I hope that you're soon fully recovered!

Dude, I did not ride last year...I rode 2 years ago!

The crash was actually worse than the injuries I walked away with...i.e no broken limbs...just heavy bruising and light concussion.....actually unbelievable, the more I think about it....(perhaps its due to the fact that I'm "big boned" and weighs 95kg's!! they just don't break as easy as weight weeny bones...)

Oak Valley is sneaky ... I have had trees jump out in the middle of the trail before and knock me off the bike head first into nice rocks ... helmet did not look as bad as yours, but was a wright off.