skewer moving

mtbrider

Good evening fellow hubbers.

Please assist me with my small problem that makes me absolutely mad.

Every time I go hard on my front brakes the wheel pulls to the left stanction and I have to open the quick release to get it in the original position. I realized that the wheel moves to the side because the quick release is slipping. Its on my training bike that has a Suntour 29er fork on.

Please help me think what i can do to sort it out. :cursing:

Guest DieBees

Never heard of a problem like this before. Could be interesting.

Every time I go hard on my front brakes the wheel pulls to the left stanction and I have to open the quick release to get it in the original position. I realized that the wheel moves to the side because the quick release is slipping. Its on my training bike that has a Suntour 29er fork on.

What skewer do you have?

Guest DieBees

I think it could be that the axle body is way smaller than the opening in the fork where it fits in. So there could be too much play. When you hit the brakes, it moves.

The solution? Im not sure...

DT Swiss back lock action skewer?

Replace it or tighten it with the key nut after you close it with the back lock action.... If it isn't one of these skewers, hhhmmmmm.....

Also, check the spacers/axel position on your bearing pressure caps. If it sits loose in the drop out and wiggles then you will pull left when the brake is applied and because the stanchions can flex, you will get movement. (explanation not good but I think in pictures... sorry)

If it persists take it to your LBS or send me some pictures and I will try to help better....

DT Swiss back lock action skewer?

Replace it or tighten it with the key nut after you close it with the back lock action.... If it isn't one of these skewers, hhhmmmmm.....

Also, check the spacers/axel position on your bearing pressure caps. If it sits loose in the drop out and wiggles then you will pull left when the brake is applied and because the stanchions can flex, you will get movement. (explanation not good but I think in pictures... sorry)

If it persists take it to your LBS or send me some pictures and I will try to help better....

The best QR skewers to use are Shimano (IMO), the mechanism just works so well.

Also heard things like this about Titanium skewers (the movement I mean)

is the hub bearing not shot and that is where the movement is. Had to adjust my rear wheel like that and found the bearings had play.

New skewer. Shimano or DT Swiss. I'm going to hazard a guess that the one you've got on there now is KCNC? If it is, a new skewer's way cheaper than a dentist.

New skewer. Shimano or DT Swiss. I'm going to hazard a guess that the one you've got on there now is KCNC? If it is, a new skewer's way cheaper than a dentist.

Either that or something similar also of oriental origin

Either that or something similar also of oriental origin

Would you like to see an Easton one with the same problem?

Does it have a similar cam design?

No idea - fatigued at the base of the thread on the skewer... and broke.... luckily didn't cause a crash.... almost, but not...

And it's not like it was very old and used a lot either - maybe 6 months of road riding - my material engineer mate had a look and said it was the way they had made the threads that lead to the failure.

Hi guys. Thanx for all the feedback. I have a cheapish skewer. One that you probably get in a lucky packet. I am scared of pulling the skewer too tight because I can only imagine what happens when it fails :eek:

Looks like the inside of the fork is to plain with no grooves or slot where the wheels fits in. I'll take pics and try to upload them. How do I upload them? :blush:

Hi guys. Thanx for all the feedback. I have a cheapish skewer. One that you probably get in a lucky packet. I am scared of pulling the skewer too tight because I can only imagine what happens when it fails :eek:

Looks like the inside of the fork is to plain with no grooves or slot where the wheels fits in. I'll take pics and try to upload them. How do I upload them? :blush:

Press the "More reply options" button below the reply window and Attatch files - pretty easy to do

Is the skewer tight enough?

It should leave a mark on your hand when you close it.

The new Shimano DA skewers are so pretty.

Is the skewer tight enough?

It should leave a mark on your hand when you close it.

The new Shimano DA skewers are so pretty.

It is quite tight, I struggle to open it again. I replaced the cheap no name skewer with a shimano one. So I will post tomorrow and tell you if it worked.

Thanx V12 man for the help with photos.