S.A. downhill ladies

Wyatt Earp

But with no local exposure and no local support how do you expect a local rider to make it to the international scene? You don't just fall into international cycling. There has to be progression...

And trails that help the rider build a skill set and mindset that would allow him/her to compete overseas .... strong local competition is also key to help riders become more competitive / push themselves harder and thereby become better racers.

Interesting point, a very good provincial DH racer that just missed out the podium at the worlds made the comment this week in conversation that his speed / DH racing has improved drastically since using Strava as he can use this tool to compare to others and also push himself / train himself more efficiently.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct, and thats's why I started the thread, as I said in the original post, we were discussing this on our ride yesterday and it raised quite a few questions.

I heard via someone that there was a lady they met who claimed to have raced on the international circuit, if this is the case, I would like to hear her views.

It would be great to see the growth of downhill in this country and in particular ladies.

As long as they don't start turning lesbian :ph34r:

And trails that help the rider build a skill set and mindset that would allow him/her to compete overseas .... strong local competition is also key to help riders become more competitive / push themselves harder and thereby become better racers.

Interesting point, a very good provincial DH racer that just missed out the podium at the worlds made the comment this week in conversation that his speed / DH racing has improved drastically since using Strava as he can use this tool to compare to others and also push himself / train himself more efficiently.

I'll buy the popcorn

My comment was also in reference to the exposure and the comments made regarding broadcasts.

As I said, locally we don't se the exposure DH gets, internationally it's very different.

That's because local DH gets very limited exposure.

Correct, most of our trails are hand built tracks that are built and maintained by the riders. Prep for race days also often calls for riders to come and help maintain the track prior to a race. Our tracks also tend to be binary in that often riders get to a point where they feel fast and confident on the ground (so can get to the finish fairly briskly on B-lines only), but tend not to be comfortable in the air. So to progress from running B-lines to A-lines can often be a serious mental undertaking with not many other options for progression (this doesn't seem to phase the kids much but for people who get into the sport later it can be a challenge).

TBH I'm amazed that we have any representation in DH at an international level (male or female). We just don't have the numbers, the facilities nor the infrastructure (like chair lifts) to give ourselves an advantage to crack the world scene and to actually be competitive, yet we are.

I find it weird that in a country where XC is so huge and pushed for the whole time we have a world champ DH rider, and some runner up DH riders which are pretty awesome.

We need big sponsors to back up DH in the country + we have more than enough terrain to host world class events, build trails and improving skills.

Downhill is also much more fun to watch than XC :ph34r:

XC event organisers are coining it lately, and the sheep, they follow.

Put that kind of money into DH and development programs for kids and see people do some proper mountain biking

That's because local DH gets very limited exposure.

Correct, most of our trails are hand built tracks that are built and maintained by the riders. Prep for race days also often calls for riders to come and help maintain the track prior to a race. Our tracks also tend to be binary in that often riders get to a point where they feel fast and confident on the ground (so can get to the finish fairly briskly on B-lines only), but tend not to be comfortable in the air. So to progress from running B-lines to A-lines can often be a serious mental undertaking with not many other options for progression (this doesn't seem to phase the kids much but for people who get into the sport later it can be a challenge).

TBH I'm amazed that we have any representation in DH at an international level (male or female). We just don't have the numbers, the facilities nor the infrastructure (like chair lifts) to give ourselves an advantage to crack the world scene and to actually be competitive, yet we are.

Never a truer word spoken. If you don't have an extensive BMX or MX background, getting your wheels off the ground is a daunting task. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground. There aren't any (as far as I know) beginner/intermediate jump parks where us old folks can go practise our jumping skills.

XC event organisers are coining it lately, and the sheep, they follow.

Put that kind of money into DH and development programs for kids and see people do some proper mountain biking

Somebody say popcorn...?

Guest Omega Man

I find it weird that in a country where XC is so huge and pushed for the whole time we have a world champ DH rider, and some runner up DH riders which are pretty awesome.

We need big sponsors to back up DH in the country + we have more than enough terrain to host world class events, build trails and improving skills.

It's funny that Canada has only one truly successful DH rider despite all their amazing terrain while the UK, Aus and NZ are cleaning up.

Guest Omega Man

There aren't any (as far as I know) beginner/intermediate jump parks where us old folks can go practise our jumping skills.

Come to Cape Town. I'm building it specifically for that purpose

I support that a million times over.

It's a great spectator sport, what I also like about it ,and no reference to anyone before any people take it as personal.

The posers and wannabes quickly get eradicated, so you generally end up with a good field of riders.

It's funny that Canada has only one truly successful DH rider despite all their amazing terrain while the UK, Aus and NZ are cleaning up.

Canadian beer is k@k and seeing as beer is classified as a recovery drink in the DH community.... Think that clears it up...... :ph34r:

Come to Cape Town. I'm building it specifically for that purpose

Would you perhaps be willing to make Durban your next holiday destination of choice..... :whistling:

Never a truer word spoken. If you don't have an extensive BMX or MX background, getting your wheels off the ground is a daunting task. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground. There aren't any (as far as I know) beginner/intermediate jump parks where us old folks can go practise our jumping skills.

Enter the world of Enduro ... hopefully this will also stimulate interest in Gravity riding and specifically DH Racing.

One day when I am all grown up I will give it a spin and I am sure there are many ladies out there who would also follow into DH in a similar manner.

Archived