Rave - Wynns - Clean Green

Sportsworld.co.za

not likely related to the de-greasing, the cleaning however may have cleaned some dirt around the cable housing which in turn has given you a small amount of additional or less cable movement hence the slipping, this can normally be sorted by adjusting the barrel adjusters on the bars. if not then a cable tension adjustment needs to happen on the derailleur itself. 

check the vid for a how to or go to a lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH43OCmArUw

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having done a bit of car detailing i was shocked to see the pricing of shampoo's, cleaning equipment for bikes. 

You can use any form of All Purpose Cleaner to clean your chain or bike and it will work.

My recommendation is that you don't dilute it for your chain. 

1/4 ratio for your body. 

Green clean, Shield Blade, etc etc all do the same thing. 

My only recommendation is if you going to use this on your paint work is that you use some sort of polish afterwards to keep the shine (liquid polish, quick detailer spray, etc etc)

not likely related to the de-greasing, the cleaning however may have cleaned some dirt around the cable housing which in turn has given you a small amount of additional or less cable movement hence the slipping, this can normally be sorted by adjusting the barrel adjusters on the bars. if not then a cable tension adjustment needs to happen on the derailleur itself. 

check the vid for a how to or go to a lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH43OCmArUw

Thanks.

What about the slight grinding noise? Could this be residual dirt stuck somewhere?

Thanks.

What about the slight grinding noise? Could this be residual dirt stuck somewhere?

difficult to diagnose without knowing where the grinding noise is coming from, if is while peddling is most likely the chain catching the front derailleur, if while freewheeling i suspect some dirt may have made its way into the bearings on the freebody of your hub. unfortunately these problems could be many things and where probably masked by the dirty grease prior to the clean green approach. they may be new symptoms too. 

i know that doesnt really help you much but if you can identify where the grinding is coming from it will be easier to diagnose.

Ok, so the noise seems to be less this evening. Go figure.

I managed to index the gears going up (small to large), but the downshifting still slips. According to the bike radar video this may be due to dirty/ damaged cables.

I am relatively convinced at this stage that the degreasing with Clean Green did not cause this, but rather actually getting everything properly cleaned revealed a problem.

So for a novel use of Clean Green - I came off in the Argus as a teenager, some nasty roasties with tarmac embedded in my shoulder, elbow and knee. Hobbled on to the first aid station at Jubilee square and the paramedic sprayed Clean Green on all the grazes! I am not kidding, right out of the green spray bottle.

Can't say I ever came across this in any of my training but no scars remain from that incident.

I also use it to wash my bibs. No bleach, ammonia or fabric softener in it, works great. Only thing, I noticed that the stickers on the bike does not like it very much.

how many of you put Mr Min on your frame after the wash ? Helps keep dust off and makes cleaning easier next time round.

never tried the spray & cook. wait my bike doesn't fit into the oven, although the garage in this heat is an oven.

So for a novel use of Clean Green - I came off in the Argus as a teenager, some nasty roasties with tarmac embedded in my shoulder, elbow and knee. Hobbled on to the first aid station at Jubilee square and the paramedic sprayed Clean Green on all the grazes! I am not kidding, right out of the green spray bottle.

Can't say I ever came across this in any of my training but no scars remain from that incident.

you cannot see mental scars ....

• 5 years later...