Rave - Wynns - Clean Green

Sportsworld.co.za

Guest DieBees

Clean green is the biz. Yes it is safe. Dont let it soak too long. Just scrub.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DieBees

I boil my chain in it on the stove...

Serious? If so, any injuries after your wife caught you?

But seriously. Do you boil it?

I was chatting to a friend who's a bike mechanic on the way to the One Tonner on Sunday, and funny enough, the topic of bikes came up.

I asked him what do they use in the shop to clean the bikes and he said they used something called 'Clean Green' which is sold in Builders Warehouse (or as my son calls it - Daddy's Warehouse).

I got some today and I have to say I am really impressed. I diluted it down to about 10 parts to 1 with water (even though you don't have to) and sprayed it onto my cassette.

I left it there a couple of minutes and then just rinsed it off using the hose and the grime literally just washed away. For the more stubborn bits, and nooks and crannies, I used a toothbrush with it and it really did work.

I then washed the whole bike with it and it's what I'm going to be using from now on.

I think for R35 it's a bit of a bargain.

Just thought I'd let you guys know.[/quote

Where are you from

Serious? If so, any injuries after your wife caught you?

But seriously. Do you boil it?

yep, light simmer get the dirt out

she doent like it, but she prefers it to solvents stinking up the kitchen

I was chatting to a friend who's a bike mechanic on the way to the One Tonner on Sunday, and funny enough, the topic of bikes came up.

I asked him what do they use in the shop to clean the bikes and he said they used something called 'Clean Green' which is sold in Builders Warehouse (or as my son calls it - Daddy's Warehouse).

I got some today and I have to say I am really impressed. I diluted it down to about 10 parts to 1 with water (even though you don't have to) and sprayed it onto my cassette.

I left it there a couple of minutes and then just rinsed it off using the hose and the grime literally just washed away. For the more stubborn bits, and nooks and crannies, I used a toothbrush with it and it really did work.

I then washed the whole bike with it and it's what I'm going to be using from now on.

I think for R35 it's a bit of a bargain.

Just thought I'd let you guys know.[/quote

Where are you from

Its been around for years.Never diluted it.Buy it in a 2L container and decant into a spray bottle.You can get it at Spar or PicknPay or anyone who stocks Wynns products.Use it for cleaning wooden floors.Mag wheels and engine and insects on cars and just about anything including our bikes.

Bike shops generally use much stronger and cheaper in bulk degreasers

Top product range is our Wynns

Prepsol works a charm as a few have already stated.... I use a bucket, drop cassette, chain, crank and pedals and spray full prepsol and allow to soak.... Use a pot scrubbing brush for cassette and Crank and toothbrush for those hard to reach places....

Used clean green before, Prepsol cheaper and and more effective in my opinion....

• 3 weeks later...

Keep it away from bearings

Explain a little more please... Would spraying it onto the casette be dangerous?

What is the effect if you get it into the bearings?

#newbie

Guest DieBees

Take the casette off and clean it. The green clean nasty cleaning machine degreases the bearings. That wil cause dry bearings and a damaged hub.

best cleaning solution i have used is a mix of 1/3 clean green and pink stuff, both sold at builders, cleans absolutely anything and doesnt cost a fortune.

wife tends to steal my spray bottle to clean stove/ batchroom etc.

Clean green works very well for me. I have used prepsol it also works. I find that clean green easier to find in stores. But ill go for cheaper one if i buy.

Trick is dilute with water for cleaning bike after ride then remove chain & cassette.

Clean the chain and cassette in pure clean green/presol/paraffin.

I use paraffin as i get it for free semi used. 

Also remember when rinsing bike no pressure washer.... I use a soak setting on hand held nozzle. Gives the bike a nice rinse but without the pressure.

I have at times had stuff stay behind reapply the diluted stuff maybe use a brush and rinse again. 

Engine Cleaner also works well with a high pressure hose. Never had issues yet.

Yeah, I like to use engine cleaner as well, I water it down and use thru a spray bottle

Rule when using degreasers(yes they are brilliant at doing it) is take stuff(cassette, chain, chainrings) to a tub of degreaser, don't spray it on or even worse...wash it off with a high pressure hose. 

The components that are supposed to stay greased will stay happy.

I think I may have some school fees coming.

My bike's chain and cassette was really dirty. I sprayed Clean Green on it, waited a few second, then used a brush to clean everything. I rinsed everything really well with water. I allowed everything to dry, applied lube and went for a ride.

Towards the end of the ride my chain had a really bad slip, making a loud clank noise.

When I went cycling the next day, everything towards the rear of the bike was noisy. The gears are noisy and when I pedal its noisy too. The gears are also out of index, and despite my best efforts, I can't manage to index them myself.

At first I thought that I didn't lube enough, but a little more lube didn't help. When I pedal or spin the backwheel with my hand I can hear a slight grinding noise.

Now for the questions:

Did I damage something with the Clean Green that caused the chain slip and the grinding noise?

OR

Is the chain slip unrelated to the degreasing, but caused the gears to become out of whack and the grinding noise I hear?