26" SS Build - work in progress

Tractor

Just when I thought all the work was finished - now it's not just any polish but only the Chip Foose special edition super wax :)

The difference a good wax makes is huge. Not only in hte application, but also in the longevity and sheen.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just when I thought all the work was finished - now it's not just any polish but only the Chip Foose special edition super wax :)

If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing properly.

The difference a good wax makes is huge. Not only in hte application, but also in the longevity and sheen.

:) The words that got me sold on the good stuff - don't think I could polish a bike every month or so, unless I wanted to go for the Nadel fiddler arm look :)

I threw the packaging away so got this off the Tork Craft website - I just used the green compound. There's a chart on the back of the insert that tells you which compound to use for the different types of metal and the finish you want. The disk just attaches to a power drill. I found that my smaller Makita worked way better than the bigger one - it's lighter so easier to handle and it can be set to a slower speed which seemed to work better. I also found that reversing the direction of the drill helped in some of the harder to reach places. It is dirty work and I eventually ended up wearing a dust coat, my cheap ass running gloves and a pair of old clear cycling glasses and still ended up looking like an 18th century coal mine worker afterwards. At first I tried doing big sections of the tube at a time but found that if I concentrate on a small area and get that to where I wanted it to be before moving on it actually went faster than doing the big sections over and over. The kit cost me R160 at the local Builders Warehouse.

post-49804-0-46866800-1384458846_thumb.jpg

looking good man!!!!

Thanks, it turned into a bit of a "labour of love" but I'm really happy with the results :)

If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing properly.

So true, I can't start being half assed about it now only to regret not doing it properly later

I managed to find some decent car polish and spent an hour or so polishing the frame. I wouldn't say the polish made the frame any "shinier" for lack of a better word but it did make it feel a whole lot better if that makes any sense - you know that smooth new car paint feel? :)

post-49804-0-33823400-1384784362_thumb.jpg

While I'm trying to source or manufacture the derailleur hanger I was cleaning up the crank set that I'll be using (Shimano XT) and ended up making something else ... a bash ring or guard. Basically took the big chain ring and cut the teeth off using the Dremel and then filed that smooth before polishing up with sandpaper. If I want to add some bling later I can always have it powder coated or just spray it.

post-49804-0-97757100-1384961678_thumb.jpg

post-49804-0-73234100-1384962027_thumb.jpg

post-49804-0-81364100-1384962048_thumb.jpg

While I'm trying to source or manufacture the derailleur hanger I was cleaning up the crank set that I'll be using (Shimano XT) and ended up making something else ... a bash ring or guard. Basically took the big chain ring and cut the teeth off using the Dremel and then filed that smooth before polishing up with sandpaper. If I want to add some bling later I can always have it powder coated or just spray it.

WRT the hanger/tensioner, why don't you use a BB mounted tensioner? Makes it a much cleaner look at the back

WRT the hanger/tensioner, why don't you use a BB mounted tensioner? Makes it a much cleaner look at the back

Flowta thanks man - will definitely look into that, any idea who stocks locally or am I going to have to order from CRC or one of the other sites?