Cape Town Giants at Durbanville HS FUNRIDE!

lucmccann

Indeed. Although it is always best to make sure one's own house is tidy before shining the spotlight on another.

you certainly made me see the light on this one, i get so caught up in all the noise and i always need someone to pint me in the right direction. thanks man, appreciate it. I now see it starts with my house first the spotlight on the bigger pciture willl follow...on another form maybe. Anyway, thanks again, really appreciate the insight.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How i know this is a simple Google search...every year PPA releases who they will be providing assistance to, it will be in the clubs best interest to keep a positive image.

Nothing political or any other reasoning behind my post, i saw stuff i was unhappy about at the ride and wanted to bring it to other cyclists attention as well as the attention of the club in case they weren't already aware of the actions of their members.

Im not linked to any other club or association and the hubbers who know me personally will be able to vouch for this.

Simply enjoy my sport and would like the best for it

Point taken, let us all know what the speedy outcome was after your meeting. Looking forward to the resolution to all the issues and emotions that flew around today.

you certainly made me see the light on this one, i get so caught up in all the noise and i always need someone to pint me in the right direction. thanks man, appreciate it. I now see it starts with my house first the spotlight on the bigger pciture willl follow...on another form maybe. Anyway, thanks again, really appreciate the insight.

post-4334-0-49098400-1382964104_thumb.jpg

It does seem that often in the lower racing groups there is more agro than up at the pointy end. That fact was picked up by a girl who was fairly new to the sport on the weekend.

There generally there has to be a bit more responsibility from the faster groups (and the leaders of those groups) when passing the slower groups and especially those who are there as families for the fun angle. I've seen a lot of good riding in this regard and a lot of very close passing and shouting that is intimidating for people who don't race. The group I was in on west coast express was an example this year.

It also passes down with the attitudes for the riders coming up, if we're racing then it's our responsibility to watch out for the limitations of others. We're the better skilled and should be ambassadors and guides on how to act and what to do so those that carry on know what to do and treat people with respect rather than turn them off the sport.

It does seem that often in the lower racing groups there is more agro than up at the pointy end. That fact was picked up by a girl who was fairly new to the sport on the weekend.

There generally there has to be a bit more responsibility from the faster groups (and the leaders of those groups) when passing the slower groups and especially those who are there as families for the fun angle. I've seen a lot of good riding in this regard and a lot of very close passing and shouting that is intimidating for people who don't race. The group I was in on west coast express was an example this year.

It also passes down with the attitudes for the riders coming up, if we're racing then it's our responsibility to watch out for the limitations of others. We're the better skilled and should be ambassadors and guides on how to act and what to do so those that carry on know what to do and treat people with respect rather than turn them off the sport.

Agree, I've been passed several times in the past at MTB races where I do the shorter distance with the RE:CM boys (as an example) coming past with even less space to pass, and are out to win it with pressure and guys on their asses, and they have been polite without fail. Not shouting and bumping and being "windgat". That is how it is done.

ESPECIALLY at a fun ride Omar! And I'll tell you why! SAFETY!

That is where my youngsters are riding on their own for the 1st time this year. I've shepherded them the last two years and protected them bodily from this type of thing myself. They've learnt good road manners and technique from me (I trust) and they are now ready to go it alone. That's why they don't need a BULLY to stuff it up for them. Going into a ditch or a barrier at 40km/h is not a little issue, it is BIG TROUBLE! There are enough dangers out there as it is.

What I said above is true for every young rider, not just mine. You have been around cycling for long enough to know that!

i've been following this thread and i think everyone misses the point. ppa don't organise races, Brogue can vouch for this & ppa have stated this in a court of law. so i don't know where racing etiquette or competitive events comes into the equation. it should be just about pure road safety and good manners. i have been a ppa member for a long time as well as a competitive cyclist - i know racing etiquette and it doesn't include asking slower riders to 'keep left'. it is up to the ppa to enforce their safety rules and take bad riders to task. i know it won't go down well but maybe they should force riders to ride in their designated seeded group - like for like. faster seeded riders dropping down so they can dish out the pain are imho just bullies. i would have liked to have seen these riders at the lights by linea race that afternoon tryin to do the same.

Lets look at this from a different angle. At first glance it seems like CTG feels victimised. Should they be? That may be.

Do they have a stigma of poor etiquette, bad manners and horrendous riding skills? that may also be

Is it because they are from a big club and now we like to name and shame?

But I can promise you that all the people here share a similar feeling against CTG (and some others) . I have had issues with lots of bigger clubs in peletons (mohammadeya comes to mind). People shouting at the rest of the riders to keep left, get out the gutter, stay on the yellow line etc etc. i for one are very very gatvol of this, and that is the main reason that i mtb a lot more. One of these days i might just give one a PK. I don't have to listen to the attitudes or riders sprinting for a C bunch win, but we all endure it for the love of the sport.

If it is true about them pushing guys from the road... i also have a daughter that rides, and i can promise you that i as a father will not take it kindly if some aggro wannabe took it out on her.

I think that CTG should go and take lessons from the outriders. Now that is a proper club, and i would become a member instantly if they were in my area !

Is it not the same club that was implicated for abusing a female Cyclist in the Houtbay / Chappies area a while back?

"Peleton" that came flying past her and dangerously pushed infront of her. Led to some sort of confrontation.

There was a Hub Thread about that too.

Ps. This was pre Hub meltdown.

Edited by Wannabe

Is it not the same club that was implicated for abusing a female Cyclist in the Houtbay / Chappies area a while back?

"Peleton" that came flying past her and dangerously pushed infront of her. Led to some sort of confrontation.

There was a Hub Thread about that too.

Ps. This was pre Hub meltdown.

yes, that does ring a bell...

if confirmed...shame on you Cape Town Giants!!

yes, that does ring a bell...

if confirmed...shame on you Cape Town Giants!!

Eish Cassie you are late on the shame part already....look at the previous posts first. Lets add value to the conversation and not merely placing a comment for the sake of placing an empty comment. i hope you understand that this is matter that we need to deal with on a collective basis and not on individual finger pointing.

Edited by TEAM CTG

i know it won't go down well but maybe they should force riders to ride in their designated seeded group - like for like. faster seeded riders dropping down so they can dish out the pain are imho just bullies. i would have liked to have seen these riders at the lights by linea race that afternoon tryin to do the same.

I agree for the same reason as you, but I can add another, that it also messes up the PPA seedings which the people then complain about.

i know it won't go down well but maybe they should force riders to ride in their designated seeded group - like for like. faster seeded riders dropping down so they can dish out the pain are imho just bullies.

I agree for the same reason as you, but I can add another, that it also messes up the PPA seedings which the people then complain about.

Would that mean for example I would not be able to ride with my wife if I wished. Or my daughter when she is old enough (if she shows an inclination). Not everyone drops down the groups to 'dish out pain'.

Would that mean for example I would not be able to ride with my wife if I wished. Or my daughter when she is old enough (if she shows an inclination). Not everyone drops down the groups to 'dish out pain'.

i would think that you dropping down to ride with a family member (i've done it with my son & daughter) is a bit different than a group of e-f riders dropping down to M and then riding as fast as they can. another problem that crops up is that they pull the 'dropped ones' of the group ahead back. this just makes the groups bigger than what the start marshals originally intended and compromising safety.

the West Coast Express was a classic example of 3 start groups merging and swamping the entire R27 in both directions.