Paarl Leaque's kamakazi commisaire!

mp321

Just a quick overview in today's leaque ride where all the elite riders were disqualified for crossing the white line. The race was called off after just 10km, allthough the commisaire decision was fair to cancel the race? His actions was not.

The commisaire raced to the front of our bunch and slammed on his breaks in an attempt to stop the race. The whole front of the race nearly crashed into the vechile and one rider rode into the side mirror smashing it completely off.

I think the commisaire actions was completely reckless. Maybe they need to take a leaf out of Hendrik Lemmer's race book about how to control and marshall a race.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick overview in today's leaque ride where all the elite riders were disqualified for crossing the white line. The race was called off after just 10km' date=' allthough the commisaire decision was fair to cancel the race? His actions was not.

The commisaire raced to the front of our bunch and slammed on his breaks in an attempt to stop the race. The whole front of the race nearly crashed into the vechile and one rider rode into the side mirror smashing it completely off.

I think the commisaire actions was completely reckless. Maybe they need to take a leaf out of Hendrik Lemmer's race book about how to control and marshall a race.
[/quote']

THAT WAS HECTIC!!!! He came flying past rode to the front and just slammed the breaks....imagine a cyclist slammed into the car and got paralised....wanted to know what he had to say!!Angry

The mirror thing was funny!! The cyclist hit that mirror so hard it flew over to the other side of the road.....wonder how he gonna explain that to the insurance!?Confused

AuctionLamb2008-02-17 09:48:26

The referee in the cricket between Aussie and India was send home recently after India complained. I think its time the riders complain and stand together. I refuse to ride league, 99er and the other big races before the race organisers, commisaires and PPA sort things out.

tHis type of behaviour by the comm, I heard its little Craig Hawtrey, he was a schoolboy rider when I was elite, is reckless and uncalled for.

Lay a complaint at PPA. Have a meeting with the powers that be. Dont take the nonsense answers that the cops dont want you to cross the line.

Or all racing will cease to exsist. did you guys see the cops at TdB! THey are just too happy to have a rolling road closure. But PPA are there to do funrides, they dont understand racing. I'm willing to join at such a meeting.

The referee in the cricket between Aussie and India was send home recently after India complained. I think its time the riders complain and stand together. I refuse to ride league' date=' 99er and the other big races before the race organisers, commisaires and PPA sort things out.

tHis type of behaviour by the comm, I heard its little Craig Hawtrey, he was a schoolboy rider when I was elite, is reckless and uncalled for.

Lay a complaint at PPA. Have a meeting with the powers that be. Dont take the nonsense answers that the cops dont want you to cross the line.

Or all racing will cease to exsist. did you guys see the cops at TdB! THey are just too happy to have a rolling road closure. But PPA are there to do funrides, they dont understand racing. I'm willing to join at such a meeting.
[/quote']

GL FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!Clap

The referee in the cricket between Aussie and India was send home recently after India complained. I think its time the riders complain and stand together. I refuse to ride league' date=' 99er and the other big races before the race organisers, commisaires and PPA sort things out.

[/quote']GL, I heard a couple of elites talking about this afterwards and they were saying how dangerous the situation was before the comm called the race off. Cars driving onto gravel at speed on blind corners etc. etc. By all accounts his actions were also dangerous but the circumstances that caused his actions should be highlighted as well.

For this ride THERE WAS NO ROAD CLOSURE so the white line rule applied. If there is any prospect of getting rolling road closure then that is definitely the way to go. Good luck with that but in the meantime if we want to race then we must stick to the rules.

By the way the Vets did a pretty good job of it after someone in the bunch got vocal. And it was aggressive racing.

I coul not see a car for km's on that road where comm stopped!!

Did not see one car driving on the gravel on blind corners...maybe he rode a different route cause there was not blind gravel corners.

My point is that PPA or the race organiser NEED to get rolling road closure for the racing bunches. Maybe the guys were so used to race on the wrong side of the road after the weekend they thought it was stage 4 of TdB.Wink How can we get cars stopped on du Toitskloof pass and in a national race like Die Burger they cant? i dont get it. Its like they dont want it? I agree the riders were wrong, but the comm was also wrong.

And this *** of allways making the road NARROWER for the sprint! It needs to be wider! And then you had 5 routes finishing together! In one lane!

Sorry, I did not make myself clear. I was told, so this is not necessarily fact, when I asked why someone would do something as stupid as the comm did, that on a blind corner an oncoming car had to take to the hard shoulder (gravel) (at speed) to avoid the bunch that was in the yellow on the right hand side of the road. This was from 2 elites, separate accounts.

After the bunch completely ignored his hooting he tried to stop the race - kamikaze style.

Windbreaker2008-02-17 10:10:21

My point is that PPA or the race organiser NEED to get rolling road closure for the racing bunches. Maybe the guys were so used to race on the wrong side of the road after the weekend they thought it was stage 4 of TdB.Wink How can we get cars stopped on du Toitskloof pass and in a national race like Die Burger they cant? i dont get it. Its like they dont want it? I agree the riders were wrong' date=' but the comm was also wrong.

And this *** of allways making the road NARROWER for the sprint! It needs to be wider! And then you had 5 routes finishing together! In one lane!
[/quote']GL, I agree with you - if there is any chance of it being done then it should! You are probably the best suited person to pursue this. But even if we have rolling road closure for some of the races - for the races that we don't then we must stick to the rule - Fullstop.

Sorry' date=' I did not make myself clear. I was told, so this is not necessarily fact, when I asked why someone would do something as stupid as the comm did, that on a blind corner an oncoming car had to take to the hard shoulder (gravel) (at speed) to avoid the bunch that was in the yellow on the right hand side of the road. This was from 2 elites, separate accounts.

After the bunch completely ignored his hooting he tried to stop the race - kamikaze style.
[/quote']

agree with you....not right to ride on the "wrong" side of the road....but there was no danger at all when we did. I just think that we can race like that when it is safe to do so....and it was. Like Groot Lem said...they need to have rolling road closure for League....WE RACE AND THAT IS WHY WE TAKE OUT A RACING LICENSE!!!

I had a long talk to Craig after the race. He said may be he was a bit harsh but he never slamed on brakes, he said the riders were all on the right hand side of the road when he came passed he moved to the right, the riders were doing about 60kmp/h and he slowed down to 35 -40kmp/h so 20kmp/h is quiet a big difference.

Craig said he was quiet happy to give the riders lee way with the white line rule but when 2 cars have to stop dead for riders and the riders go up a blind rise and can,t see whats comming it is unexseptable.

May be the riders should look at them selves first if we stayed left and now and then crossed the line Craig would have been happy we are always quiek to moan.

Craig said he may have been harsh by slowing down but, he should maybe just have gone to the front and stoped the race.

We No when we join the league we sign there rules and the main rule os Safety and the White LINE.

The Officials are there to see it is safe and fare and today it was no way safe.

The races that cant organise rolling road closures musnt be leagues then.

And then stay left. Lets see what we can do....

well said windbreaker. it is not always possible to get rolling road closure, and here in gauteng it's close to impossible. the only wayt o race is then to abide by the rules.

here at the R4S today the vets were apparently abulous - one or two requests to stay left and this was done no problems at all, so clearly it is possible to do this.

equally so, the actions described above were totally uncalled for. the comm should simply have driven next to them, informed them the race was off and if they ignored him - so what - they were on their own and no further libility could be claimed or inferred - he should simply have driven off to the finish without them and advised that the whole bunch was DQ'd.

To the people who wheren't in the race today, Don't try say it was a dangerous situation with traffic swearving off the road, we where there, and it WAS NOT.....you are talking bullsh*t....

I've had enough of people who know absoloutly nothing aboout a situation coming and giving their oh so wise opinions....

What the com did today was stupid and ridiculous, and he is lucky no serious harm was done to any of the elite riders due to his actions....

If you worried about the riders health, WHY THE F*#K do you slam on brakes 10metres ahead of the bunch when they sitting at 50km/h.....

At stages along that road(only a 10km section where this happened), we could see up to 4km  of clear road ahead of us......

Maybe the com needs to take better control of a situaton in a case like that when its a PPA "funride race", like prehaps just neutralising the race for that short period where the wind is at a precuriou angle and then continue racing just down the road, where we had turned, and the wind was from the front............

To the people who wheren't in the race today' date=' Don't try say it was a dangerous situation with traffic swearving off the road, we where there, and it WAS NOT.....you are talking bullsh*t....

I've had enough of people who know absoloutly nothing aboout a situation coming and giving their oh so wise opinions....

What the com did today was stupid and ridiculous, and he is lucky no serious harm was done to any of the elite riders due to his actions....

If you worried about the riders health, WHY THE F*#K do you slam on brakes 10metres ahead of the bunch when they sitting at 50km/h.....

At stages along that road(only a 10km section where this happened), we could see up to 4km  of clear road ahead of us......

Maybe the com needs to take better control of a situaton in a case like that when its a PPA "funride race", like prehaps just neutralising the race for that short period where the wind is at a precuriou angle and then continue racing just down the road, where we had turned, and the wind was from the front............

[/quote']so you were never in the yellow on a blind corner nor on a blind rise? You sure??

My point is that PPA or the race organiser NEED to get rolling road closure for the racing bunches. Maybe the guys were so used to race on the wrong side of the road after the weekend they thought it was stage 4 of TdB.Wink How can we get cars stopped on du Toitskloof pass and in a national race like Die Burger they cant? i dont get it. Its like they dont want it? I agree the riders were wrong' date=' but the comm was also wrong.

[/quote']GL, I agree with you - if there is any chance of it being done then it should! You are probably the best suited person to pursue this. But even if we have rolling road closure for some of the races - for the races that we don't then we must stick to the rule - Fullstop.

Disacgree!! EVERYBODY KNOWS THE WHITE LINE RULE DOENS'T WORK AT ALL AND LIVES ARE AT STAKE!!

we should stand togeteher...PROPER ROLLING ROAD CLOSURE OR WE BOYCOTT THE RACE..