Paarl Leaque's kamakazi commisaire!

mp321

I had a long talk to Craig after the race. He said may be he was a bit harsh but he never slamed on brakes' date=' he said the riders were all on the right hand side of the road when he came passed he moved to the right, the riders were doing about 60kmp/h and he slowed down to 35 -40kmp/h so 20kmp/h is quiet a big difference.

Craig said he was quiet happy to give the riders lee way with the white line rule but when 2 cars have to stop dead for riders and the riders go up a blind rise and can,t see whats comming it is unexseptable.

May be the riders should look at them selves first if we stayed left and now and then crossed the line Craig would have been happy we are always quiek to moan.

Craig said he may have been harsh by slowing down but, he should maybe just have gone to the front and stoped the race.

We No when we join the league we sign there rules and the main rule os Safety and the White LINE.

The Officials are there to see it is safe and fare and today it was no way safe.
[/quote']

and he only thought about it now?
AuctionLamb2008-02-17 10:38:40

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sat near the front, and if you didnt notice, we wheren't riding in the yellow lane, if you where at the back, then im sure you where in the yellow.... Did any car nearly hit some one? NO!!! there was a vehchile ahead of the bunch warning the motorists, and there was just ONE instance of a blind rise on that rode that I can recall, and  there where more people on the left there.....

Basically, if you are riding over the line, then thats your choice, because YOU are following the slipstream... Maybe next time just make your own echelon....

The closest the bunch came into contact with any car what so ever was when the comm nearly took the out!!!!

racing heart - yep, maybe people who can't abide by rules shouldn't race - that would certainly help makes things much safer for those who can abide by the rules.

I just want to know how it is possible that GL can get rolling road closure for the Tour de Boland, which was over 3 days and in the Paarl area, but PPA cannot get rolling  road closure for the same area??

I sat near the front' date=' and if you didnt notice, we wheren't riding in the yellow lane, if you where at the back, then im sure you where in the yellow.... Did any car nearly hit some one? NO!!! there was a vehchile ahead of the bunch warning the motorists, and there was just ONE instance of a blind rise on that rode that I can recall, and  there where more people on the left there.....

Basically, if you are riding over the line, then thats your choice, because YOU are following the slipstream... Maybe next time just make your own echelon....

The closest the bunch came into contact with any car what so ever was when the comm nearly took the out!!!!
[/quote']Amazing technology these cell phones & digital cameras. Thing is you never know when someone is clicking away. LOL

THANK YOU MP321!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are quick to charge riders an arm and a leg to enter the racing league, but are far from fast to provide us with the racing conditions required, that as seen at The Tour de Boland, can be done with the right people as organisers......

It would be GREAT to get full road closure, please get it organised for us!  I still have the feeling it is easier to get it for a single tour like the Tour de Boland than it is for seven league rides.  If not, then please get involved GL.

On the other hand it is amazing how two groups do a ride and have a completely different experience.  In sub-vets we had the comms who drove behind us and came up to the riders who crossed and talked to them.  They quickly moved back and after that it was pretty much guttering on the white line until the wind direction changed.  I still don't know why the Elits struggle with it so much.  If you don't have full road closure (even if you don't agree with it!) don't cross the line. It might be a stupid rule, but it is the rule.  Otherwise you will get the same cancelled ride week after week...

It would be GREAT to get full road closure' date=' please get it organised for us!  I still have the feeling it is easier to get it for a single tour like the Tour de Boland than it is for seven league rides.  If not, then please get involved GL.

On the other hand it is amazing how two groups do a ride and have a completely different experience.  In sub-vets we had the comms who drove behind us and came up to the riders who crossed and talked to them.  They quickly moved back and after that it was pretty much guttering on the white line until the wind direction changed.  I still don't know why the Elits struggle with it so much.  If you don't have full road closure (even if you don't agree with it!) don't cross the line. It might be a stupid rule, but it is the rule.  Otherwise you will get the same cancelled ride week after week...
[/quote']Ditto for the Vets!

It would be GREAT to get full road closure' date=' please get it organised for us!  I still have the feeling it is easier to get it for a single tour like the Tour de Boland than it is for seven league rides.  If not, then please get involved GL.

[/quote']

do not take it personally or see it as a fight but I think the Elites has a bit more racing involved than SV. I think with the racing being faster and more unpredictible it is more difficult to control the race....personal opinion on that.

racing heart - yep' date=' maybe people who can't abide by rules shouldn't race - that would certainly help makes things much safer for those who can abide by the rules.

[/quote']

The term is RACE!!!! so if you race you use the whole road because of swelling and gutters and other tacital NECASSARY reasons...

So let my translate that in Rugby terms since the average South african actually understands it..Rugby players use the whole field they dont dodge spectators and motorbikes driving around on the field.So competive/proffesional cyclist shouln't have to too
Racing Hart2008-02-17 10:50:45

Windbreaker, i don't know what you trying to say, but you whern't in the bunch, yet you are trying to judge a situation you didn't see???

Maybe you should keep you judging of the riders in the elite group to yourself untill you know the full story???

I agree with the race being cancelled, as the bunch was over the white line for a long time, I actually even said to a fellow rider that its going to be cancelled.... But i personally didn't even hear the com give the riders a warning, maybe he did, but his job is to tell EVERYONE...

I had to hear from my manager the race had been cancelled...

Thanx must go to Chris willemse who took over as lead vehchile after the incident, the cars where aware and very obliging... So its also not IMPOSSIBLE for someone just to drive up front and warn motorists about the riders for that very short section...

The races that cant organise rolling road closures musnt be leagues then.

And then stay left. Lets see what we can do....

The idea of rolling road closures is noble and can work for events such as yours last week; however you only had one bunch to deal with not 4 or 5. so what should happen?

Should all leauges start together? this way it is easy to arrange rolling road closures, but with different start times and groups.

Further to this, I believe it will be impossible to get passed in the s/suburbs, especially on a Saturday. so what are PPA to do, apply the white line rule sometimes when they are in the platteland and not at other times?

Just something to think about.

[/quote']

do not take it personally or see it as a fight but I think the Elites has a bit more racing involved than SV. I think with the racing being faster and more unpredictible it is more difficult to control the race....personal opinion on that.
ooohhhh! I see glove lying on the ground and many toppies waiting in line to pick it up. LOL

Maybe you are right, but maybe it is for the same reason that insurance costs you so much more than it costs me - because society has decided that as we get older we get a bit more sensible and when we toppies see a rule that makes sense in terms of our safety we generally obey it.?? not always but mostly. Wink

racing heart, the rugby players have to stay ON THE FRIGGIN FIELD and not cross the lines on the sides. your "field" is the allocated section of road. really this is NOT FSCKING ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!!

now a REALLY REALLY REALLY simple question - no long answers needed - it's really a "yes" or "no" one:

DID YOU OR DID YOU NOT SIGN A RACE ENTRY FORM IN WHICH IT STATED THAT THERE WAS NOT ROAD CLOSURE AND THAT THE WHITE LINE RULE WOULD BE APPLIED???????

gee whiz, you lot behave like a bunch of friggin nursery school kids having temper tantrum cos you want to play when you're meant to eat, etc, etc

the only reason the vets are better is that they've actually started to GROW UP!

and this applies in gauteng as well as the cape

Windbreaker' date=' i don't know what you trying to say, but you whern't in the bunch, yet you are trying to judge a situation you didn't see???

Maybe you should keep you judging of the riders in the elite group to yourself untill you know the full story???

I agree with the race being cancelled, as the bunch was over the white line for a long time, I actually even said to a fellow rider that its going to be cancelled.... But i personally didn't even hear the com give the riders a warning, maybe he did, but his job is to tell EVERYONE...

I had to hear from my manager the race had been cancelled...

Thanx must go to Chris willemse who took over as lead vehchile after the incident, the cars where aware and very obliging... So its also not IMPOSSIBLE for someone just to drive up front and warn motorists about the riders for that very short section...
[/quote']I'm trying to say that the race was stopped because of persistent flagrant disregard of the rules. I was given the same story by 2 different elites from different teams and at different times. I also know thta there are pictures already doing the rounds. How it was stopped was wrong - 'nuff said.