Toe cramps while cycling, why?

bebop

Not sure if anyone has had this or have any idea how to prevent/cure this.

Background:

I do about 240 - 300km a week thats about 9-10hr split between MTB and road riding.

I have good shoes "Mavic's" and been riding with them for the past year and a half. I ride with the same shoe on the road so both pedals on the MTB and the road bike is SPD's.

Problem:

2 weeks ago on a MTB ride my left foots toes cramped so badly after about 55km, that after we stopped at about 72km my toes where blue as a result of the cramps and sore for about 2 days after. From that day I have been having toe cramps every time I ride, regardless if its road or MTB.

What I have tried so far (nothing has worked from below):

Move cleat positioning

Bought a expensive inner that can be lifted at the toe or bridge

Loosening shoe

Tightening shoe

Solution:

?????????????????

Sounds like the shoe is too tight and cuts of blood flow to your foot. Maybe try different shoes

A While back I also had cramps in my toes. I found that when I'm pedalling hard I tend to curl up my toes which caused them to cramp. Maybe you're doing the same???

In my case it was just a matter of relaxing whilst cycling.

I had the same issue when using shoes with a flexible sole (old style Olympics). My theory (unproven) was that the flex was allowing the cleat to press on nerves in the ball of my foot and that was the cause of the pain, not actually a cramp. If I stopped and massaged the ball of the foot I could get it to go away but it would repeat at ever increasing frequency once it had started (3 hours or so).

I moved to a stiffer soled shoe for long rides and while I still get the problem on occasion it is nowhere as painful or chronic as it used to be

Since you say that it happens more frequently it might also mean that your shoe is worn out and like Trek Fan said it could be that the cleat is pressing on some nerves or placing pressure on arteries and restricting blood flow.

A While back I also had cramps in my toes. I found that when I'm pedalling hard I tend to curl up my toes which caused them to cramp. Maybe you're doing the same???

In my case it was just a matter of relaxing whilst cycling.

Is your shoe wide in the toe section or narrow? This can also cause your toes to cramp up.

Hi Hennie thanks for the advice, I think I do curl my toes and I have tried to relax them but its not really working. Seeing that it only started when the weather got warmer, it might be that my feet swell in the narrow italian shoes, will have to go look for shoes made for the "african plat voet" its just a bit sad that the shoes only lasted a year and a half as they where expensive.

I had the same issue when using shoes with a flexible sole (old style Olympics). My theory (unproven) was that the flex was allowing the cleat to press on nerves in the ball of my foot and that was the cause of the pain, not actually a cramp. If I stopped and massaged the ball of the foot I could get it to go away but it would repeat at ever increasing frequency once it had started (3 hours or so).

I moved to a stiffer soled shoe for long rides and while I still get the problem on occasion it is nowhere as painful or chronic as it used to be

Thanks trek fan I will go try some shoes and see if I can get a set that works. Thanks for the advice.

Hi Hennie thanks for the advice, I think I do curl my toes and I have tried to relax them but its not really working. Seeing that it only started when the weather got warmer, it might be that my feet swell in the narrow italian shoes, will have to go look for shoes made for the "african plat voet" its just a bit sad that the shoes only lasted a year and a half as they where expensive.

Pleasure. Hope you get it sorted out.

300km a week bound to get some cramps..... :lol:

I got it the one day,after messing with my setup..... seat was bit to high and tilted up bit too much.Dont think my ankle/heel was dropping enough .

300km a week bound to get some cramps..... :lol:

I got it the one day,after messing with my setup..... seat was bit to high and tilted up bit too much. Dont think my ankle/heel was dropping enough .

Hahaha I was waiting for that one....

I got both my bikes ergofit and I have not messed with it but I will have a look, the only thing is I get it on the indoor trainer as well, so im blaming the shoe or maybe its because Im close to 40 and im starting shrink :whistling:

Due to too much riding your toes are curling around from all the pleasure experienced while riding. Please either cycle less or immediatly stop enjoying aproximately 34.23% of your rides.

Problem solved :clap: