Clicking sound on crank

Velo Racer

I have the same and I removed the crank and checked the BB which was fine... cleaned and put new grease, but sound was still there..

turned out being my skewer at the back, the one side didn't have the spring in, with swapping between the IDT, I was too lazy to go upstairs to get the spring, so rode a while without it....I put the spring back and the click was gone..

it could be something as simple as that...

Guest DieBees

I had the same issue. After replacing half the bike and not finding what it was, we found out that it was my cleat all along...

I usually find it is the BB, remove, drop in some clean green and water (usually leave over night), rinse, clean and regrease and reassemble.

Look on parktool website, will tell you what to do and what tools you need

Crank removal http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/categories/crank-service

BB removal http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/categories/bottom-brackets

Also youtube there plenty of instructional videos

After new crank, bb, and pedals I have come to grips with the click on my bike. I find I only hear the noise when I am not working hard enough. (Noise still there, but noise drowned out by my heart beating in my ears)

The bb is the last thing I have yet to DIY yet. Done chain breaking, removal cassette, headset, setting gears and brakes. (bought the tools along the way)

I had the same thing after Tour de tuli. Turns out I had a little bushman jammed in my front derailler.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

It might well be the BB or crank or pedals, but...

Does the sound go away when you stand on the pedals (no weight on saddle)? A clicking/creaking seatpost can sound like it's coming from the BB area. If the noise is there when you pedal hard but goes away when you stand up, clean and grease the seatpost where it is in contact with the frame. If either the frame or seatpost is carbon, do your research about what to use instead of grease. There are some carbon-friendly anti-slip compounds for that purpose.

Another elusive source of creaks can be the top cap on your handlebar stem. It can help to tighten it or put some grease on it where it contacts the stem. If it's that, I would expect the creak to come and go depending on how hard you are pulling on the bars.

Had a problem like yours, after everything was checked, stripped and rebuild it turned out to be the hub on the rear wheel that does that (in my case and on a MTB)