Dreamy Long Travel / AM Hardtails

Hairy

heres another - bike shredding starts at  ~1:20

vids like all the ones posted above is what exemplifies mountain biking to me...always has. having fun, doing silly stuff...in whatever clothes you happen to have on..be it your school uniform or jeans and T's. No fancy kit or shoes or whatever....bring what you got and go play.

I don't think any of the guys in those vids care what size wheel their bike has...they are there to have a jol. To be honest...i could have easily built a new decent spec 29'r or 650 with the money i spent on the BFE26 but i saw the frame for sale...and with it an opportunity to relive those fun days i used to have just messing around...when wheel efficiency was reserved for those roadie weirdos  :P

I'm older now, and with that unfortunately comes responsibility and more sense of self preservation LOL. But that does not mean I want to cruise along on some jeep track ticking down the kms. That sucks donkey balls...id rather ride a road bike then and go fast instead.

yes a new 911 is better in every single way than a 70's or 80's one...but id still have the old school one if i had to choose between them with a gun to my head.

fine, call me sentimental, but 26" steel LTHT's are metal AF :devil:

I just rode 130 km over 3 days on my trusty little white bike. I was up against a host of carbon marathon 29ers and some relatively fit riders. The bike has a 70mm stem to make it fit me a bit better and I haven't really noticed that it hinders me on the downs.  In fact I had a blast on the treacherous Haarkappers descent which is loose and rocky.

Riding it blind at speed was a rush and i never felt that the wheels or frame were outgunned. The long fork makes up for any shortcomings of a HT. When I first started riding the bike at the beginning of this year, I took a while to develop  the leg strength and stamina to ride it fast on choppy trails. That curve has been learned and i hardly notice the lack of suspension even on the longer descents. The only areas I felt the lack of  a rear shock was on the rocky climbs where the back wheel hooked up a bit on edges and on fast but bumpy flat bits, where I would lower my seat a tad to make the ride a bit better.

The switch to fatter, faster rolling and yet grippy rubber in the form of Ardent 2.4s has taken nothing away from its descending performance and aided traction and comfort on climbs and in the rough. 

This is  all good news and I love the bike even more than ever but the downside is it has made me dislike my long travel enduro bike a bit. Riding it after the three days on the HT really shone a spotlight on the shortcomings of the big bike. 1. Weight 2. pedal efficiency 3. lack of playfulness 4. lack of precision in the cornering and steering department. 

Some of these things can be addressed but not without dropping a wad of cash on new wheels and rubber. I also think it needs to be ridden in really rough terrain and at speeds which start becoming dangerous so maybe its my Tokai and JH bike and I must keep it off the mellower stuff where my HT excels. 

Edited by Headshot

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

or maybe you need to sell the big bike and get a sexy Ti LTHT :P

I just rode 130 km over 3 days on my trusty little white bike. I was up against a host of carbon marathon 29ers and some relatively fit riders. The bike has a 70mm stem to make it fit me a bit better and I haven't really noticed that it hinders me on the downs.  In fact I had a blast on the treacherous Haarkappers descent which is loose and rocky.

Riding it blind at speed was a rush and i never felt that the wheels or frame were outgunned. The long fork makes up for any shortcomings of a HT. When I first started riding the bike at the beginning of this year, I took a while to develop  the leg strength and stamina to ride it fast on choppy trails. That curve has been learned and i hardly notice the lack of suspension even on the longer descents. The only areas I felt the lack of  a rear shock was on the rocky climbs where the back wheel hooked up a bit on edges and on fast but bumpy flat bits, where I would lower my seat a tad to make the ride a bit better.

The switch to fatter, faster rolling and yet grippy rubber in the form of Ardent 2.4s has taken nothing away from its descending performance and aided traction and comfort on climbs and in the rough. 

This is  all good news and I love the bike even more than ever but the downside is it has made me dislike my long travel enduro bike a bit. Riding it after the three days on the HT really shone a spotlight on the shortcomings of the big bike. 1. Weight 2. pedal efficiency 3. lack of playfulness 4. lack of precision in the cornering and steering department. 

Some of these things can be addressed but not without dropping a wad of cash on new wheels and rubber. I also think it needs to be ridden in really rough terrain and at speeds which start becoming dangerous so maybe its my Tokai and JH bike and I must keep it off the mellower stuff where my HT excels. 

Out of interest, how comfortable would you say that bike is i.t.o. terrain absorption and fatigue resistance? I'm currently on a HT 29er XC bike (2.1" tyres). I'm looking at getting a bike that's a bit more comfy to ride, but I really don't have the cash for a FS bike, so I'm looking at a plus bike (26" or 650B) as a happy medium.

Also, your bike is metal AF (|m|), so I'd love to build one (excluding the juicy Hope components unfortunately).

So I've been riding a steel hardtail for about 18 months now. It's been in both 27.5+ and 29 formats, with fork length ranging from 110mm to 130mm.

In 27.5+ format is was comfy, but steering was vague and I found having just those wheels a bit limiting (this is my XC bike). Very comfy though.

In 29 format I fitted it with wide rims and 2.4" tyres. It rolls much faster and offers up very little in terms of comfort.

To your question though, steel frames are very comfortable. I suffer from back pain and cannot even dream of riding a carbon or alu hardtail, but a steel one I can ride. Wide volume tyres and a steel frame does not in any way feel like you have suspension, it just soaks up a bit of chatter and smaller vibrations better.

You do sacrifice a bit in the weighr category - mine comes in at 13.5kg with 29x2.4 alu wheels, and a dropper. The only carbon bits on the bike is the handlebars - so you can save weight if you want to. I'd be quite keen to try a set of carbon wheels on a steel hardtail at some point.

In short, steel hardrails are frigin awesome. Every time I ride mine I am smiling ear to ear - there is just something it offers that my carbon dual suspension trail bike doesn't. It's not faster, it's not lighter, it cannot do the same gnarly trails (well I can't) - but there is just something I can't put my finger on that makes me love this bike. The carbon trail bikes will come and go, but my Cotic Solaris will be in my arsenal for a loong time!

Go for it - you won't regret it!

Oh, and with wheel size, it doesn't matter if you go 26, 27.5, or 29. The one thing I will just say is that 27.5+ restricts you a bit. If it is between 27.5 and 29 I would go 29" with some high volume tyres. As a second wheelset it is fun though....

I would also tend to stay away from 26" - not because it will be any less fun or awesome, but purely because parts like replacement rims and tyres are becomming less available (there are still tyres available, but just less choice ito tread pattern, casings, widths etc etc).

Edited by Grease_Monkey

i concur about probably not that smart to go with 26".

BUT - Another reason why i built the 'bmx' up was because at the time there were all those high end/ premium New in box 26" parts floating around on the classifieds for basically beer money...so i made the choice that i would be able to get an awesome 'new' hard hitting toy for about half of what a 650b or 29r equivalent would cost me now...just because 26" is considered outdated. It is NOT gonna be 50% less fun though....AND i can be the tall wierdo still messing about on a 26r.   :thumbup:

Edit: And being a 2016 model, my BFE26 frame is recently current geometry wise...not like its an Oldschool 26'' bike. Not the newest breed of longshot type hardtails but not that short either. as mentioned already...it has XL numbers compared to my old bike.

Edited by morneS555

BUT - Another reason why i built the 'bmx' up was because at the time there were all those high end/ premium New in box 26" parts floating around on the classifieds for basically beer money...so i made the choice that i would be able to get an awesome 'new' hard hitting toy for about half of what a 650b or 29r equivalent would cost me now...just because 26" is considered outdated. It is NOT gonna be 50% less fun though....AND i can be the tall wierdo still messing about on a 26r. :thumbup:

Edit: And being a 2016 model, my BFE26 frame is recently current geometry wise...not like its an Oldschool 26'' bike. Not the newest breed of longshot type hardtails but not that short either. as mentioned already...it has XL numbers compared to my old bike.

Nothing wrong with 26" at all! It's probably gonna be more fun than a 29er. In terms of size there is not much in it between a 26 and 27.5" anyway...

When the funds have slightly replenished themselves from my recent spending spree I am also gonna start hunting down a 26" BFE. I really want one as an SS play bike...

BUT - Another reason why i built the 'bmx' up was because at the time there were all those high end/ premium New in box 26" parts floating around on the classifieds for basically beer money...so i made the choice that i would be able to get an awesome 'new' hard hitting toy for about half of what a 650b or 29r equivalent would cost me now...just because 26" is considered outdated. It is NOT gonna be 50% less fun though....AND i can be the tall wierdo still messing about on a 26r.   :thumbup:

I think a reason to go 26 is that BMX feeling. I'd agree on the bigger volume tyres in 27.5. I think that is what ruins my enduro bike but you can probably get away with it more on a HT. If i could I'd run 2.6 tyres on my 26er for some additional comfort although i really can't fault the 2.4s. Much of what people put down to wheel size is actually improved suspension and geometry IMO. 

Ya have found exactly the same thing, riding my canyon is great in really rough stuff but the steel hardtail is what makes me smile most on the trails. It just brings everything to life, a bump on my canyon barely gets felt but on the hardtail it becomes something you can really boost off.

Do you even ride a bike? Everyone knows its wheel size that matters.

Yeah man, on FB groups I see everyone's response to any question is "get a 29er". Must be true if so many people are saying it!

Yeah man, on FB groups I see everyone's response to any question is "get a 29er". Must be true if so many people are saying it!

probably the same people who swore by those 'power bracelets' way back when haha.

I have wrist pain - "get a power bracelet"

....sheeple :D

Glad I'm not on any of those groups. Mods will probably ban me quicker than a fat kid smashes a cupcake.

This is all good news and I love the bike even more than ever but the downside is it has made me dislike my long travel enduro bike a bit. Riding it after the three days on the HT really shone a spotlight on the shortcomings of the big bike. 1. Weight 2. pedal efficiency 3. lack of playfulness 4. lack of precision in the cornering and steering department.

I reckon just putting lekker tyres in 2.3-2.4 size would already make your enduro so much better.

Glad I'm not on any of those groups. Mods will probably ban me quicker than a fat kid smashes a cupcake.

I reckon just putting lekker tyres in 2.3-2.4 size would already make your enduro so much better.

Yes I agree. Am thinking of a 2.4 Ardent out back for speed and a 2.5 DHR or F up front. I do think its also the wheels. The front is boost with 24 spokes and the rear 28. I reckon they flex like damp spaghetti and then there's the play in the rear hub...

Yes I agree. Am thinking of a 2.4 Ardent out back for speed and a 2.5 DHR or F up front. I do think its also the wheels. The front is boost with 24 spokes and the rear 28. I reckon they flex like damp spaghetti and then there's the play in the rear hub...

I have a similar setup, sixxfiddy. Roval Traverse, 24/28h, 30mm internal, 2.4ibex on front, 2.3 aggressor out back. They are lekker square, so give a good rail for cornering. It turns out that Spezs idea of plus wheels make lekker trail wheels when used with narrower rubber than intended.

I reckon those low-fat tyres are rounding too much, and that your riding style would benefit from some proper rails to support you.

Is that red rocket 29 or 27.5?

I have a similar setup, sixxfiddy. Roval Traverse, 24/28h, 30mm internal, 2.4ibex on front, 2.3 aggressor out back. They are lekker square, so give a good rail for cornering. It turns out that Spezs idea of plus wheels make lekker trail wheels when used with narrower rubber than intended.

I reckon those low-fat tyres are rounding too much, and that your riding style would benefit from some proper rails to support you.

Is that red rocket 29 or 27.5?

27.5 with 2.6 Butchers. Don't like the tyres too much. The back  rim has hardly been abused by my standards but already has several dents - not just bent at the bead, rather buckled inwards on the upper surface of the rim where the nipples are. I have never seen anything like it. One spot no longer seals the tyre bead that well unless you run the tyre super hard. Had me pumping the tyre up half way to Kloof Neck last weekend...