Dreamy Long Travel / AM Hardtails

Hairy

I have had 4 rides on the HT beast. The thing is an absolute ripper. I managed to beat a Strava time on a segment I don't know very well and equaled or was close on some others.

It really doesn't feel like you need to hold back at all and the steep stuff is as easy as my big bike. You do feel the chunkier terrain more in the legs, but with a 160mm stiff fork, the back seems to fly over the worst bumps while the front takes the sting out. One massive benefit of a HT is that the front end grip stays great no matter where your weight is. The thing steers like a demon and jumps nicely although I haven't hit anything big yet. I was amazed how fast it could tackle off camber rooty terrain.

What this bike has shown up is how much better my SLX brakes are than the Guides and how grippy a 2.35 26" Magic Mary is compared to a 2.6 650b Butcher. Time for a brake bleed on the enduro I think. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking great Headshot, would love to get one of these DeeDar frames for my son to join me on enduros....

I wonder how much shipping from Ireland would be....my sister lives there.

@headshot, there was a Bike / MTBUK / Singletrack article a year or two ago, put the SLX brakesets at 4th most powderful on the market. Outstripped the Saints too surprisingly.

Guides are nice, but IMHO, not great.

Bike sounds like a ripper, what are the specs....or has that been posted before?

I have had 4 rides on the HT beast. The thing is an absolute ripper. I managed to beat a Strava time on a segment I don't know very well and equaled or was close on some others.

It really doesn't feel like you need to hold back at all and the steep stuff is as easy as my big bike. You do feel the chunkier terrain more in the legs, but with a 160mm stiff fork, the back seems to fly over the worst bumps while the front takes the sting out. One massive benefit of a HT is that the front end grip stays great no matter where your weight is. The thing steers like a demon and jumps nicely although I haven't hit anything big yet. I was amazed how fast it could tackle off camber rooty terrain.

What this bike has shown up is how much better my SLX brakes are than the Guides and how grippy a 2.35 26" Magic Mary is compared to a 2.6 650b Butcher. Time for a brake bleed on the enduro I think. 

@headshot, there was a Bike / MTBUK / Singletrack article a year or two ago, put the SLX brakesets at 4th most powderful on the market. Outstripped the Saints too surprisingly.

Bike sounds like a ripper, what are the specs....or has that been posted before?

worrying, always prefer and preferred shimano brakes, bought me a set of Guides last week, not yet fitted but now i'm starting to think this is an expensive test...

got XT M8000 levers with M785 calipers on the 45650b and bled right, they are amazing amazing brakes

Looking great Headshot, would love to get one of these DeeDar frames for my son to join me on enduros....

I wonder how much shipping from Ireland would be....my sister lives there.

It would be great for enduros here, especially ones with shorter stages. I think if you used Aramex Global Shopper you might get away with 100 pounds or so to SA. 

Its basically all the bits off my old 26er Enduro so 160mm Pike 26. XT/Saint 10 speed drivetrain, SLX cranks, SLX brakes with 200/180 rotors. Stans Flow rims with  a Magic Mary SS up front and a Rock Razor SG out back. Dropper is a tired Giant 125mm which is run with a shim to allow for the 31.6mm seat tube. Saddle is my old Spesh Phenom, not the Rapide one in the pic. The Spesh seat is softish and comfy - perfect for a HT.

I have been hitting some big jumps and drops with mine.

I must say if you dont finesse your landing, you gonna hurt.

I also had the same thing @Headshot where I was faster on some segments. But then I went back on my duallie and I was alot quicker with that.

My AM HT is 140mm 650b and my dullie is 160mm 26er

It would be great for enduros here, especially ones with shorter stages. I think if you used Aramex Global Shopper you might get away with 100 pounds or so to SA. 

Forgot to say that the airlines charge extra baggage for the big frame box which my BIL paid and used the extra space to bring in pressies etc. they also didn't charge him any duty on the new frame. So I scored a very good deal. BA charge 120 pounds for an extra bag.

I have been hitting some big jumps and drops with mine.

I must say if you dont finesse your landing, you gonna hurt.

I also had the same thing @Headshot where I was faster on some segments. But then I went back on my duallie and I was alot quicker with that.

My AM HT is 140mm 650b and my dullie is 160mm 26er

I reckon a HT makes you a better rider perhaps? On the small stuff I have ridden I could feel the lack of rear suspension. I found landing front high seemed to work in some places. Looking forward to how the big bike feels after this thing.

I reckon a HT makes you a better rider perhaps? On the small stuff I have ridden I could feel the lack of rear suspension. I found landing front high seemed to work in some places. Looking forward to how the big bike feels after this thing.

Probably yeah. although small technique differences between a HT and duallie. One tends to support the squash more on a duallie and not on a HT. The HT is lighter so you are able to move it around better as well.

For sure. First time I got on my hardtail after building it up I realised just how lazy I had gotten with line choice and technique on my dual sus - I have taken the bulldozer approach without even realizing it. And my hardtail is a 27.5+ bike - which is relatively still able to bulldoze, I wonder just how lazy I have really gotten then!

Didn't take too long to get used to a hardtail again though, and the benefits have trickled over to riding my big bike as well. Everyone should have a hardtail, keeps you sharp.

Probably yeah. although small technique differences between a HT and duallie. One tends to support the squash more on a duallie and not on a HT. The HT is lighter so you are able to move it around better as well.

Well you're faster on a hardtail. I know you don't wanna hear it. But I've noticed that about you. If you enter any enduros. I advise you take the hardtail. 

Edited by popcorn_skollie

Well you're faster on a hardtail. I know you don't wanna hear it. But I've noticed that about you. If you enter any enduros. I advise you take the hardtail. 

Thats your visual perspective. Strava times says something else.

Thats your visual perspective. Strava times says something else.

maybe you are so out of control on the HT that it looks like you are really really sending it :P