5150 Africa Champs

Metzet

The lady that was hit by the car is ok. My daughter and i were coming back from our club ride and saw the incident happen.The car was not at fault as the EMPD officer was on his cell and waved a car through the intersection without looking.My daughter who is a nursing sister checked her and although a bit sore she was ok and continued her ride leg. straightened her brs and Sti and she was good to go.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The accident I saw the bike was in pi

The lady that was hit by the car is ok. My daughter and i were coming back from our club ride and saw the incident happen.The car was not at fault as the EMPD officer was on his cell and waved a car through the intersection without looking.My daughter who is a nursing sister checked her and although a bit sore she was ok and continued her ride leg. straightened her brs and Sti and she was good to go.

the accident I saw, the bike was in pieces.. what car was it that was in involved in the accident you saw?

The accident I saw the bike was in pi

the accident I saw, the bike was in pieces.. what car was it that was in involved in the accident you saw?

There were two women knocked off their bikes. First one I saw coming back was the one with the bike in pieces - looked quite serious as she was lying motionless between cars but was being tended to.

The second happened right in front of me. To be fair to the metro cop, he waved the car (silver polo I think) to go through, but the idiot hestitated, then stoped, then went. By this time the other woman was entering the intersection, but she had slowed a lot and really just got bumped off. The metor cop only pulled out his cell phone after she went down, presumably to call for help or report it.

Oh, and my Suunto measured the swim as 1985m. I sighted well and mostly didnt swim off-course.

Most of of the guys with GPS watches I spoke to afterwards measured their swim at 2000+ metres.

I'd say the swim was definitely 400m+ long. Screwed my time goals (that and the traffic stop-gos), but hey that's racing...

Oh, and my Suunto measured the swim as 1985m. I sighted well and mostly didnt swim off-course.

Most of of the guys with GPS watches I spoke to afterwards measured their swim at 2000+ metres.

I'd say the swim was definitely 400m+ long. Screwed my time goals (that and the traffic stop-gos), but hey that's racing...

My internal GPS in combination with my arm fatigue meter said it was at least 2500m but I will submit to your superior technology. :eek:

If anyone has a map plot of their swim course, please post. In the 40+ group it looked like the group swam in a massive arc on the first leg. I started inside and think I swam reasonably straight. Will be interesting to see if my perceptions are correct.

Edited by davem

Like a tomato. At least I am back to being a triathlete from being a cyclist, tanwise anyway.

I wore an open top peak, couldn't get to my sunscreen after race (was in transition)... Got a lekker rooi kop :P

I have a ridiculous trisuit tan - seeing clouds in the AM and deciding not to put sunscreen on was a schoolboy error.

Must have visited the 5150 site 10 times already today looking for times but nothing yet.

Also saw one athlete that looked like he collided with a cop coming down one hill in the beginning portion of the course. He looked sore as I rode past - hope nothing serious

some of the cops were a bit clueless, I was coming down the first hill and a cop stepped out in front of me, I managed to dodge him to the right - close call..

before any sports event all volunteer officials, cops and medical personel should be taken through a basic session on what to do and what not to do. Marshalling a run is very different to a cycling evet where participants are travelling a lot faster.

My internal GPS in combination with my arm fatigue meter said it was at least 2500m but I will submit to your superior technology. :eek:

If anyone has a map plot of their swim course, please post. In the 40+ group it looked like the group swam in a massive arc on the first leg. I started inside and think I swam reasonably straight. Will be interesting to see if my perceptions are correct.

Here you go, a little wonky as always but I did better than some it would seem - measured 2.01km

post-23367-0-18932700-1383568821_thumb.jpg

A birdie told me there were issues with the swim timing mats. I don't think we will see splits.

Here you go, a little wonky as always but I did better than some it would seem - measured 2.01km

post-23367-0-18932700-1383568821_thumb.jpg

JOH!!!!

They made you swim that route?

Any idea of what lives in those reed beds opposite to the start / finish (1 on your map)

Have all the swimmers been accounted for?

A birdie told me there were issues with the swim timing mats. I don't think we will see splits.

I will be bleak if this is the case