I got my bike back

snowbeast

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had your bike been data dotted, it would have provided refutable proof that you were the owner of the bike and it holds up in court. For under R200 once-off with no monthly subscription, it is a cheap and simple way to prove that you own the asset. Plus, your details remain on the database for 20 years, longer than any of us would own a specific bike.

Had your bike been data dotted, it would have provided refutable proof that you were the owner of the bike and it holds up in court. For under R200 once-off with no monthly subscription, it is a cheap and simple way to prove that you own the asset. Plus, your details remain on the database for 20 years, longer than any of us would own a specific bike.

More details?

More details please

My concern is why the insurance did not originally pay out? It sounds ridiculous that it was because you never had a picture of yourself on the bike. Let me know which insurance company this is because I would hate to advise clients of mine to insure bicycles with a company that has that as an exclusion?

Snow_beast do this via pm pls.

Name and shame the underwriter PUBLICLY, we all want need to know which insurer to avoid.

What exactly did your insurer want from you in order to pay out originally?

A photo of you with the bike?

Haven't heard that one yet

Well done man!!!!

Cool story

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Shame - poor Rasta if he bought it from somebody....

Then again - he would have known he was buying something shady!

Name and shame the underwriter PUBLICLY, we all want need to know which insurer to avoid.

Social Media is a dangerous thing and I cannot afford a lawsuit for slander.

I just intended this post to be a happy I got my bike back one, I know I was totally in the wrong. I had the Police hammer this into me.

I don't support vigilantism either, it was just a case of I can't afford another bike and the heat of the moment I took it back, knowing 110% it was my bike.

Please provide more details, that is an awesome idea.

The bike was under household, the long story is the frame has been replaced due to the original cracking so I couldn't go into bike shop records, I did however provide insurance with the bike shops and the importers number should they want to contact them, but they wanted a pic of me on the bike to prove ownership.

It wasn't just my bike that was stolen, our garage was broken into and they helped themselves - we did get paid for items that we have the slips for.

this is not a go at the insurance companies - I should have had separate insurance for my bike

I didn't go into details on the insurance part as the aim of the post is "I got my bike back".

Regarding data dot , go have a look at www.datadot.co.za. Was told when i bought my new car that all new cars from 2013 must have it.

Yeah, I need to start taking some pictures of myself with some dream bikes at my LBS.

The bike was under household, the long story is the frame has been replaced due to the original cracking so I couldn't go into bike shop records, I did however provide insurance with the bike shops and the importers number should they want to contact them, but they wanted a pic of me on the bike to prove ownership.

It wasn't just my bike that was stolen, our garage was broken into and they helped themselves - we did get paid for items that we have the slips for.

this is not a go at the insurance companies - I should have had separate insurance for my bike

I didn't go into details on the insurance part as the aim of the post is "I got my bike back".

But that's BS, household cover is for cover of all goods while they are at home, incl bikes - when they are at home, which yours was, so the bike was well within the schedule of your insurance cover.

Did they specifically request a pic of you with the bike because I have never heard of a request like that, a pic is hardly proof of ownership, you could be standing next to anyone's bike?

The picture was a last port of call as I had no slips when the assessor came around.

Haha, if I had known this thread was going the insurance route I would have added a lot more detail in the original post.

A couple lessons learnt:

If your frame gets replaced remember to take down the new serial number.

Make sure you have pictures for just in case.

Make sure the cops come to the scene when you reclaim what is yours ( although I am certain I would have been stabbed)

Worst part about all of this is knowing your bike (which you've invested serious money into) gets sold to some guy for a couple of hundred bucks!! O_o

In any case, great news that you got your bike back!

This sounds like Outsurance to me- slips, photos, full of crap :eek: