Calling the Fly fishing manne

Pieter1

http://www.flyloops.net/latest.php

You can have a look on there, people sell stuff there too. You can check under trade, there is a map with shops on, so you can choose the place closest to you.

I know there were some xplorer had a combo, rod reel, line for something like R600 each. There was also a sensation symnphony combo at a similar price.

Nice beginner sets within your price range. You can buy 2 combos for you and the lady

http://www.xplorerfl...ing.co.za/rods/

http://www.fanaticfi...hony-combo.html

Awesome! Thanks. Just got off the phone with the guys from Western accesories and they have a decent sounding sensation combo for R500. I'll go check that out later.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Barbel on a fly rod must be fun as ....

They say carp is insane, gets you onto your backing in a matter of seconds. Its my next goal

Awesome! Thanks. Just got off the phone with the guys from Western accesories and they have a decent sounding sensation combo for R500. I'll go check that out later.

Pleasure. The sensation is a good buy.

*Sensation Combo

-5/6 wt Stok, graphite,medium-fast action.

-Sensation Viking reel

-Floating line

-Backing 20lb (ten minste 50m)

-DoubleX leader (3X dikte)

-Braided loop

-R499

They say carp is insane, gets you onto your backing in a matter of seconds. Its my next goal

Very very very very tricky quarry...closest us vaalies get to sightfishing....there is no better feeling than stalking a single fish(keeping low, waiting till it feeds), presenting a fly to him under pressure(cause they spook easy), setting the hook gently and bringing it in.

They have a strong initial run, but nothing like a yellow....My favourite specie. When you hook a LM you better know what you doing....

*Sensation Combo

-Sensation Viking reel

-Floating line

-Braided loop

-R499

Perfect pieter....how long is the rod...how many ft? Like I said 9ft will make it the best allrounder, which is what you want out of a starter setup

Perfect pieter....how long is the rod...how many ft? Like I said 9ft will make it the best allrounder, which is what you want out of a starter setup

No idea. I'm on my way there. Shot for the info.

Very very very very tricky quarry...closest us vaalies get to sightfishing....there is no better feeling than stalking a single fish(keeping low, waiting till it feeds), presenting a fly to him under pressure(cause they spook easy), setting the hook gently and bringing it in.

They have a strong initial run, but nothing like a yellow....My favourite specie. When you hook a LM you better know what you doing....

Not quite in the same league as a leervis, or garrick. Buddy of mine does a lot of off shore fishing, he owns a 24ft ski boat, chucked a line in when the tuna were biting, he says it's the fastest his reels ever been stripped.

Big barbel are good sport too, read an article in Complete Flyfisherman about one chap that fishes barbel in the Liesbeek river when he gets stuck on evening traffic.

No idea. I'm on my way there. Shot for the info.

Lekker the fast medium action is perfect...but if you can get a 9ft go for it....the reason is your rod will then double up a czech nymphing rod for the vaal where reach is important when catching SM yellows. It will still be perfect for stockie troot though. If you can splash a little more, do so on the line, forget about upgrading the rod, your line is the most important part of your tackle....also a good roll of tippet(3x will do for most species and application...don't skimp here...get rio) and a roll of maxima ultragreen(5,5kg) for tying leaders

Not quite in the same league as a leervis, or garrick. Buddy of mine does a lot of off shore fishing, he owns a 24ft ski boat, chucked a line in when the tuna were biting, he says it's the fastest his reels ever been stripped.

Big barbel are good sport too, read an article in Complete Flyfisherman about one chap that fishes barbel in the Liesbeek river when he gets stuck on evening traffic.

Look salt is the big leagues....nothing like a GT or even bonefish on light tackle...I am talking freshwater only. My dream vacation would be to go for tarpon in Angola or Cuba

SM Yellows forces you to become a complete fisherman in the sense that you need to completely understand the "fish"(season, entomology / hatches, flow, mending, conditions, time of day)

LM yellows are brutes...but can be very frustrating, you cast your mielie off the whole day and might get one or two bites. But whooo nelly, they are worth it.

Edited by rouxtjie

*Sensation Combo

-Sensation Viking reel

-Floating line

-Braided loop

-R499

Ja thats a nice combo.

Was at the vaal this weekend with some mates, took the rod with, while we were braaing I quickly threw some line, but I gave up quickly because I had no idea what I was doing and it just didnt feel right, also packed in the wrong line. :blush:

Going to do some proper research next time and be back soon for those yellows :w00t:

Edited by Gandalf

Ja thats a nice combo.

Was at the vaal this weekend with some mates, took the rod with, while we were braaing I quickly threw some line, but I gave up quickly because I had no idea what I was doing and it just didnt feel right. :blush:

Going to do some proper research next time and be back soon for those yellows :w00t:

I wish I had someone to teach me the ropes on the vaal so to speak....tought myself but with alot of time and effort.

Biggest thing with sm yellows are to know where they are....spring and summer and they are in the rapids eating and spawning in shallow gravel beds...don't cast to spawning fish its just not cricket. Late autumn and winter the yellows are in the deeper pools and you will need a boat to get them and different tactics than in the summer.

Summer you use nymphing / high sticking techniques...where you attach up to three flies to your line using droppers to cover the whole water column...no casts, merely chucking the flies upstream with you wrist at 1 o'clock...mending as they start moving...KEEP YOUR FLY LINE OFF THE WATER....this will induce drag that will make the flies move unnatural and no fish will take them. Let the flies drift drag free till 5 o'clock upon which point you stop mending and let the flies "swing up" from the rocky bottom....Quite a few fish take on the swing since it imitates the nymphs natural action of trying to hatch(getting to the topwater asap). Strike when you see / feel anything that isn't the river taking your line...people are often amazed at how gentle yellows take. When I show someone the technique for the first time, they often strike too late or not at all. Sometime I even see 3 takes on a single drift and the fly fisherman is none the wiser...so rather strike, also no need for bass / blue marlin strikes...simple flick of the wrist is enough to set the hook into the yellow...then fight him but strike in the direction the river is flowing...yellows will run from pressure, so if you strike in the direction the river is flowing it will run upstream making your chances must better ito landing him....if heads downstream, stop applying pressure, take up slack while walking to the fish....you will need a wading stick to do this. For this time of the year, you will catch yellows on rock worm / caddis larva imitations, brassies and hotspot PTN's...make sure your flies have tungsten beads to ensure fast sinking into the watercolumn to where the fish are feeding

I wish I had someone to teach me the ropes on the vaal so to speak....tought myself but with alot of time and effort.

Biggest thing with sm yellows are to know where they are....spring and summer and they are in the rapids eating and spawning in shallow gravel beds...don't cast to spawning fish its just not cricket. Late autumn and winter the yellows are in the deeper pools and you will need a boat to get them and different tactics than in the summer.

Summer you use nymphing / high sticking techniques...where you attach up to three flies to your line using droppers to cover the whole water column...no casts, merely chucking the flies upstream with you wrist at 1 o'clock...mending as they start moving...KEEP YOUR FLY LINE OFF THE WATER....this will induce drag that will make the flies move unnatural and no fish will take them. Let the flies drift drag free till 5 o'clock upon which point you stop mending and let the flies "swing up" from the rocky bottom....Quite a few fish take on the swing since it imitates the nymphs natural action of trying to hatch(getting to the topwater asap). Strike when you see / feel anything that isn't the river taking your line...people are often amazed at how gentle yellows take. When I show someone the technique for the first time, they often strike too late or not at all. Sometime I even see 3 takes on a single drift and the fly fisherman is none the wiser...so rather strike, also no need for bass / blue marlin strikes...simple flick of the wrist is enough to set the hook into the yellow...then fight him but strike in the direction the river is flowing...yellows will run from pressure, so if you strike in the direction the river is flowing it will run upstream making your chances must better ito landing him....if heads downstream, stop applying pressure, take up slack while walking to the fish....you will need a wading stick to do this. For this time of the year, you will catch yellows on rock worm / caddis larva imitations, brassies and hotspot PTN's...make sure your flies have tungsten beads to ensure fast sinking into the watercolumn to where the fish are feeding

Thats good advice, damn. Thanks.

Now i want to go fish :whistling:

Thats good advice, damn. Thanks.

Now i want to go fish :whistling:

Sweet :thumbup: ...its quite easy once you have got it, but moer frustrating if you don't...I have seen guys at venues storm down to the river kitted from head to toe, casting these beautiful "river runs through it" casts, just to blank....I literately fish behind them and catch fish 1.5 to 2 m from where I stand, sometimes between my legs...When they notice I start catching fish where they were, they always try and figure out what I am using...soon they gather up enough courage and suck their pride and wade over to ask me. I then show them trying to explain the technique, but they are most times so focused on the fly I am using they don't listen....couple hours later I am standing on double digits for the day and they are still blanking, they wander over again and ask me what they are doing wrong...I love nothing more than showing them, letting them feel the correct technique and then mostly they hook they first slab of gold....with the flies they used in the beginning....drag is probably the biggest thing to eliminate when fishing in a river.

Also when you get to a venue take 10 minutes before you kit up to go down to the water and just sit and watch...you will notice activity of the caddis and may's that are hatching...see good spots and also turn over some rocks on the shore to gauge how big your flies need to be...in other words...match what is hatching ito colour and size. Your normal instinct is to kit up asap and just head into the water....DON'T... take some time to do this and I will guarantee you, you will catch more fish.

Sweet :thumbup: ...its quite easy once you have got it, but moer frustrating if you don't...I have seen guys at venues storm down to the river kitted from head to toe, casting these beautiful "river runs through it" casts, just to blank....I literately fish behind them and catch fish 1.5 to 2 m from where I stand, sometimes between my legs...When they notice I start catching fish where they were, they always try and figure out what I am using...soon they gather up enough courage and suck their pride and wade over to ask me. I then show them trying to explain the technique, but they are most times so focused on the fly I am using they don't listen....couple hours later I am standing on double digits for the day and they are still blanking, they wander over again and ask me what they are doing wrong...I love nothing more than showing them, letting them feel the correct technique and then mostly they hook they first slab of gold....with the flies they used in the beginning....drag is probably the biggest thing to eliminate when fishing in a river.

Also when you get to a venue take 10 minutes before you kit up to go down to the water and just sit and watch...you will notice activity of the caddis and may's that are hatching...see good spots and also turn over some rocks on the shore to gauge how big your flies need to be...in other words...match what is hatching ito colour and size. Your normal instinct is to kit up asap and just head into the water....DON'T... take some time to do this and I will guarantee you, you will catch more fish.

Some guys are not open to learn or change their ways. If someone is catching and I ask them for advice, listen and do. I have even taken advice from a friend that was flyfishing for the first time, because its something different, and the only way to know if it works or not is to try it. I'm open to learn.

I also try to check out the water before jumping straight into it, but I dont inspect it enough that I do know.

Seems like we need to have a fishing session sometime, then you can show me the ropes :clap: