Calling the Fly fishing manne

Pieter1

Some guys are not open to learn or change their ways. If someone is catching and I ask them for advice, listen and do. I have even taken advice from a friend that was flyfishing for the first time, because its something different, and the only way to know if it works or not is to try it. I'm open to learn.

I also try to check out the water before jumping straight into it, but I dont inspect it enough that I do know.

Seems like we need to have a fishing session sometime, then you can show me the ropes :clap:

We should organize something sometime...not a pro, but know a few things about yellows on the vaal. Everytime I go, I learn something new myself...also love tying my own flies...luckily yellow flies are fairly easy, not like size 22 adams or RAB with difficult hackles, techniques and exotic materials. You mostly need some hooks, tungsten beads, lead wire and dubbing.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We should organize something sometime...not a pro, but know a few things about yellows on the vaal. Everytime I go, I learn something new myself...also love tying my own flies...luckily yellow flies are fairly easy, not like size 22 adams or RAB with difficult hackles, techniques and exotic materials. You mostly need some hooks, tungsten beads, lead wire and dubbing.

Saturday was my first time trying the river, I usually fish the dams, so I was hopeless when I was there, didn't know how to catch yellows or even catch in the river, but i definitely want to learn.

There it is. Had some spare cash for extra tippets and a fly box each. Shot for all the info guys!! We must wet a line (and our throats) some time.

post-25481-0-99864700-1383577015_thumb.jpg

1385966_673759759315665_1801562895_n.jpgWould like to try some light tackle out on this big boy caught at PE

Yoh!! Huge Kob. Did you let it go? Are thay good eating at that size? Edited by Pieter1

I'm just raising my hand as a fellow flyfisherman. :)

At one stage, years ago, I used to combine flyfishing and cycling by riding the mtb up to the Witte River in Bains Kloof, hiding the bike in the fynbos some way off the trail and then fishing from there.

Yes, I admit, I'm addicted and I can do nothing about it except getting a regular fix of both (and some other fun stuff too).

So, just a gentle warning that you are getting yourself into another very addictive thing.

I'm just raising my hand as a fellow flyfisherman. :)

At one stage, years ago, I used to combine flyfishing and cycling by riding the mtb up to the Witte River in Bains Kloof, hiding the bike in the fynbos some way off the trail and then fishing from there.

Yes, I admit, I'm addicted and I can do nothing about it except getting a regular fix of both (and some other fun stuff too).

So, just a gentle warning that you are getting yourself into another very addictive thing.

Hahahaha! Awesome! Thanks. I really dig fishing. Used to fly when I was younger, varsity put a stop to that as beer and girls were more enticing. Got back into it via Bass and then Rock and Surf with a spot of deap sea here and there. I'm glad my wife is keen on the fly fishing, I hope it lasts cause it is great fun, from what I can remember any way.

Yoh!! Huge Kob. Did you let it go? Are thay good eating at that size?

Hope it was released looks like a tag in the dorsal fin.Smaller cob more tasty

Hope it was released looks like a tag in the dorsal fin.Smaller cob more tasty

Once read that every fish you catch is a gift from another fisherman. I battle to kill stuff so I try to release as many as I can.

ah pieter congrats mate!

Next plan? Like DJR. I think its an awesome idea

post-42648-0-50174400-1383584467_thumb.jpg

Thanks!! That looks good! Mabey do a ride to Lake herratige, catch a bass or two, rode to Gilroys, have the wifes or whoever pic us up...

ah pieter congrats mate!

Next plan? Like DJR. I think its an awesome idea

post-42648-0-50174400-1383584467_thumb.jpg

I want to get a 4 piece 9wt to use on my trips up the Transkei coast.

Most frustrating is sight casting to cob on the flats at the Kei River mouth.

Only Grunter on the Breede can be more infuriating! :cursing:

There it is. Had some spare cash for extra tippets and a fly box each. Shot for all the info guys!! We must wet a line (and our throats) some time.

post-25481-0-99864700-1383577015_thumb.jpg

Nice setup Pieter. You'll catch plenty with that. Agree with Rouxtjie that your upgrade from that is line. Good luck. Your first trout on a new rod always a special thing.

And most exciting is sight casting to shad off the rocks a bit North of that. Nothing quite like seeing them smash the fly from underneath at pace.

Nice setup Pieter. You'll catch plenty with that. Agree with Rouxtjie that your upgrade from that is line. Good luck. Your first trout on a new rod always a special thing.

Thanks man! Yea the first fish on a rod is awesome! Hope my wife nails some. She is already talking about salt water fly fishing so if the bug bites I know what to get "us" for xmas.