Swim Stroke Correction

scuzzy

Good day all

Could anybody here point me in the right direction to get some help with my freestyle swim stroke? It is proving to be quite a challenge.

I spoke to the guys from Raynard Tissink Academy and although it seems quite affordable and high tech, it will be a bit difficult to get there during working hours, especially because it is in Hout Bay and I'm in the Northern Suburbs.

I also got some info from the guys at the Bellville, Fairmont High, Durbanville High pools, but it seems that one has to join the club to get help.

The Ryk Neetling swim school at Val de Vie seems like it is catering for children.

Anybody with any other suggestions?

Swimsmooth have a nice app that demonstrates their suggested swim stroke.

Also try and get someone to record your swimming, even with a GoPro underwater.

Is your swimming for pools or open water? Open water swimming might need adjustment for the rougher conditions.

Edited by Jacquers

I'm in the same boat, I'm in Goodowood & need a swimming school. I could do Kenilworth area as well for maybe before or after work, any recommendations?

Swimsmooth have a nice app that demonstrates their suggested swim stroke.

Also try and get someone to record your swimming, even with a GoPro underwater.

Is your swimming for pools or open water? Open water swimming might need adjustment for the rougher conditions.

I've downloaded that simulator, its quite cool & tried implementing some of the techniques but once in the water i find it difficult to focus on more than one thing, for example if I'm working on my arm stroke then i would forget how i'm suppose to kick, or even forget to breath sometimes, hence I need a swimming instructor to teach me all the basics from scratch.

Cape Town Masters has a group that swims at the Bellville public pool Monday through Thursday from 6pm-7:30pm. Neil is on deck twice a week to help with stroke correction. There is a set every night. Cost is R50 for the tag to get in to the pool and R100 as a donation towards the pool rental. If you guys want more info, just PM me.

Cape Town Masters has a group that swims at the Bellville public pool Monday through Thursday from 6pm-7:30pm. Neil is on deck twice a week to help with stroke correction. There is a set every night. Cost is R50 for the tag to get in to the pool and R100 as a donation towards the pool rental. If you guys want more info, just PM me.

yes please Lizzy, pm on its way.

You need someone to watch you swim from above and help you.

You will see the results in 6 weeks with a good coach.I have seen guys and girls go from 28-30 strokes on a 25m pool to 18-20 strokes in a few weeks.

Yeah, the videos and simulators are a good start, but only go so far and a good coach will get you more results.

@milky4130 I know what you mean, you focus so much on one thing that you forget to do the other. Maybe you can alternate between practicing arms and legs by using those floater things. So when you focus on legs you use a board and only use your legs, and when doing arms you use a buoy so that you only use arms, until you have both well practiced.

Yeah, the videos and simulators are a good start, but only go so far and a good coach will get you more results.

@milky4130 I know what you mean, you focus so much on one thing that you forget to do the other. Maybe you can alternate between practicing arms and legs by using those floater things. So when you focus on legs you use a board and only use your legs, and when doing arms you use a buoy so that you only use arms, until you have both well practiced.

great idea, but would still like the services of an expert, one on one. Did xterra lite grabouw early this year and nearly drowned ....40 times, came out of water after the 3rd lady, so I have unfinished business.

I've downloaded that simulator, its quite cool & tried implementing some of the techniques but once in the water i find it difficult to focus on more than one thing, for example if I'm working on my arm stroke then i would forget how i'm suppose to kick, or even forget to breath sometimes, hence I need a swimming instructor to teach me all the basics from scratch.

I found it easiest to work only one aspect of the stroke at a time and continue doing it until I get that right (even if it takes days) before moving onto the next thing to correct. Using a pull buoy and one of those snorkels that rise in front of the face are helpful for stroke correction as they allow you to concentrate on the stroke itself and not everything else. Once the stroke is corrected, then worry about the rest.

Spoke to Neil last night, he is on deck Mondays and Thursdays to help with stroke correction/technique/learning to swim. If anyone is interested, you can come and check it out before committing.

We will also be adding in a morning session 6:30am-8am tues and thurs

I must agree with Blacksmith - Total Immersion. 2 Day course and i have never looked back. Best money i have ever spent. Battled to swim 3 laps without being out of breath and being tired. went for the course and within a few weeks i was swimming 1km without much effort.

Done 5 swims since 70.3 this year, and i swam the swim leg of 5150 without any issues on sunday....which was apparently over 2km's!

Teaches you basics....and how to be more comfortable in the water. Read up on it...or let me know if you need more info.

Edited by bigjoe

I must agree with Blacksmith - Total Immersion. 2 Day course and i have never looked back. Best money i have ever spent. Battled to swim 3 laps without being out of breath and being tired. went for the course and within a few weeks i was swimming 1km without much effort.

Done 5 swims since 70.3 this year, and i swam the swim leg of 5150 without any issues on sunday....which was apparently over 2km's!

Teaches you basics....and how to be more comfortable in the water. Read up on it...or let me know if you need more info.

Hey Joe, thanks. Please forward me more info.

Hey Milky :D

See the website for total immersion. http://www.totalimmersionsa.co.za/

I did the course 2 years ago before my 1st 70.3 and Full IM. I have never felt more comfortable in the water. I know of 2 people that never learnt to swim....literally could not get into the water. Did the course and 4 months later they finished 70.3 swim well within cut-off. At the same time i know someone that bought the DVD and is still struggling.

i would suggest, if you have the cash to go for the course. But, i dont want to promise you any miracles. I find that i can go without swim training....and focus on the bike and run as i am comfortable in the water now. The only time i swim now is in open water over a weekend, as i find the pool boring. Gives me more time to improve my bike and run during the week.....an rest at night when i am tired.

Read up and make up your own mind. I went to a swim coach for 3 months....and they told me I am fine....but still battled doing more than a few laps. did the course over a weekend and i love the swim now.

Good luck!