SanParks lock the gate at the back of Plum Pudding

ABastard

I'd shudder to think what you make of the "boulders" trail in tokai, or even faerie garden, for that matter!

It really is easier than Faerie Garden, even if you exclude the bridge that many people dislike.

P.S. Are we being trolled?

Edited by Nick.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It really is easier than Faerie Garden, even if you exclude the bridge that many people dislike.

No, there really is a meeting on Friday to discuss the track.. :blink:

No, there really is a meeting on Friday to discuss the track.. :blink:

Hoping for the best.... Really enjoy this track, even though it's short, it atleast some fun to all the climbing!

Hoping for the best.... Really enjoy this track, even though it's short, it atleast some fun to all the climbing!

Agreed.

I reckon the Plum Pudding descent will claim more casualties than this piece of single track.

Can SANParks not install a turnstile at the gate? Or are they trying to stop people riding through their offices?

Edited by Nick.

Not many people like the bridge? Damn.. it is actually my favourite section of the trail :P Have seen numerous people fall into the riverbed after getting the angle wrong, however its awesome to get it right and power out the other end. This is on the way back to the start though.

Had a nice little technical climbing section on the way to silvermine alone the top path that has also been dumped with sand and made smooth. Was so hopping for it to be tricky, but it wasnt :(

Edited by Surv0MTB

Not many people like the bridge? Damn.. it is actually my favourite section of the trail :P Have seen numerous people fall into the riverbed after getting the angle wrong, however its awesome to get it right and power out the other end. This is on the way back to the start though.

Had a nice little technical climbing section on the way to silvermine alone the top path that has also been dumped with sand and made smooth. Was so hopping for it to be tricky, but it wasnt :(

Don't stress, many wheels and winter rains will soon transform it into its gnarly self again. ;)

That final climb section where you just have to bliksem your cranks and keep your momentum going to get over the rocks!? Are. You. Serious!?

Shows how long it's been since I went that side of the area. Been concentrating on doing the ST only. Up, down, up down...

That final climb section where you just have to bliksem your cranks and keep your momentum going to get over the rocks!? Are. You. Serious!?

haha yeah, loved it.

I spoke to the OP last week about his concerns around this piece of ST and asked for the meeting with San Parks so that he could raise his concerns directly. I am more interested in the San Parks response. Meurant Botha went and had a look at the trail last week and didn't think it was an overly difficult track. I agree with Meurant. We don't want to "dumb down" the little bits of single track we have . There is enough jeep track all over the mountain which is easy to ride. I doubt that San Parks will allow the construction of a B Line , but let's wait and see. They built this single track without informing anyone , so you never know. TMNP don't occupy Mount Pleasant, it's San Parks Provincial that have moved in there. The closure has been on the cards for a number of months and it was done to safeguard the equipment (computers) inside the offices. We knew the closure was coming, just not when. The single track was completed well before the closure of the gates.

Let's look at the positive spin-off this little piece of track has brought. Without it we would not have been given permission to ride the single track lower down.

Friday's meeting on site is at 12, if anyone has time to come along. I need to see what the OP finds difficult about it and how it is discouraging a certain segment of mountain bikers from riding in this area. The entry on the low side is steep, but how steep is the Plum Pudding climb from the Newlands side?

Is it correct to say that the difficulty of 200m of single track is keeping riders off the mountain? Mmmm....OP needs to have a compelling argument.

I can ride the piece no problem ,it is not a major challenge for me.

I have encountered single track that I choose to portage over, but I don't ask for it to be made easier.

I'd like to see skilled and unskilled riders come to the site visit to get a balanced perspective. OP felt that I had initially only received feedback from skilled riders who were happy with the track as it is. Not true, I had newbies telling me they liked the challenge of trying to master the track and it was fine as it is.

San Parks are not trail builders,they did not go in there with the intention of spoiling anyone's fun. The built the trail with the best of intentions.

I have no authority over the trails on the mountain, the final word belongs to San Parks.

Edited by kandui

And this is the actual track....post-49914-0-93961500-1384276513_thumb.jpg

SanParks have kindly agreed to have a look at this track over the enxt week.

Thanks for all the views!

That bit of track is much better than ou helshoogte pass which die burger road race is going up again this year! Don't see the problem.

I can offer a friendly coaching lesson after the meeting on Friday. I promise that it won't take more than a few goes to get any beginner riding that trail.

I doubt that San Parks will allow the construction of a B Line , but let's wait and see.

TMNP are already allowing the construction of B-lines.. Snake Eyes has a whole trail of equal length set for this purpose.