Moonlight mass - Canceled indefinitely!!!

Icycling

Hey, im not calling for anarchy on the streets, but at the same time everything is so regulated and organised these days that a bit of chaos can be fun. Ride, dont ride . Its your choice and thats the point.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could not be even if you wanted to be.

Kranswurm please take one step forward

I have been stepping forward all my life

Its just I consider militant action to be taking one step back

At a time when confrontation between cyclists and motorists appear to be at an all time high I would have thought this type of behaviour would be counter productive....however,do as you wish

I'll just ride my bike normally without making a big issue of it every time I hit the road or trails

I would not want to be part of this.

No problem with that at all.

As long as the option is open to people who would like to do it, within legal parameters and without causing harm to others.

I don't think it is more chaotic than the parking situation in Green Point on Argus day. It is nothing compared to the destruction and mayhem caused by "legal" demonstrations over everything from service delivery to higher wages.

Personally I think it is a very healthy way to express our solidarity as cyclists from all walks of life and all cycling disciplines. The Cape Town ride brought out anything from road, mountain, downhill, single speed, commuter, bmx, classic collectables, weird rides, the lot. People wore jeans and T-shirts, cow suits, baggy pants, even lycra. Helmets ranged from invisible ones to full face and everything in between. The bikes were anything from stealth black to lit up like a Christmas tree. The riders were anything from tattooed rebel marvels to very normal looking boring business types letting their hair down a tiny little bit. Lots of families brought their youngsters along too, as it sure beat watching TV on the health scale. It really had a circus fairground atmosphere and I think absolutely everyone could associate with some part of it.

No problem with that at all.

As long as the option is open to people who would like to do it, within legal parameters and without causing harm to others.

I don't think it is more chaotic than the parking situation in Green Point on Argus day. It is nothing compared to the destruction and mayhem caused by "legal" demonstrations over everything from service delivery to higher wages.

Personally I think it is a very healthy way to express our solidarity as cyclists from all walks of life and all cycling disciplines. The Cape Town ride brought out anything from road, mountain, downhill, single speed, commuter, bmx, classic collectables, weird rides, the lot. People wore jeans and T-shirts, cow suits, baggy pants, even lycra. Helmets ranged from invisible ones to full face and everything in between. The bikes were anything from stealth black to lit up like a Christmas tree. The riders were anything from tattooed rebel marvels to very normal looking boring business types letting their hair down a tiny little bit. Lots of families brought their youngsters along too, as it sure beat watching TV on the health scale. It really had a circus fairground atmosphere and I think absolutely everyone could associate with some part of it.

Sounds great.properly organised with approval.Everything changes when that approval is withdrawn

Work on the issues that caused this.Get it reviewed.And move forward

Acting in contravention of the law and causing a disturbance is just going to end up in tears

I cannot find the law on an organize ride with 6 or more cyclist (vehicles) requiring permission.

But I suspect the same would applied to Motor bike and car (which then become a rally of sorts) thats why I have used the word vehicles above.

So I would like to point this out as nobody has actually organized Moonlight mass on Sunday the 17th except mother nature herself by offering a full moon - is a whole bunch of cyclist just pitch at a particular point to ride under the moon lit african sky and causing a traffic problem no different to what happen every morning / evening Monday to Friday when a whole bunch of people get into cars to go to work? Maybe motorist should need to get permission to go to work during rush hour as they KNOW they will be causing traffic!!! Just saying. Yes cyclist are also traffic and part of the traffic problem but on most occasions part of the traffic solution!

On the subject of helmets - if you race your motor car on Killarney race track (track day) you required to where a helmet, If I recall correctly the same applied to car road races like the one that used to be held in Ceres. I understand this and even in my car I would not have a problem wearing a helmet if in "racing mode!" But why has the law not changed that all motorist passengers need to wear helmets - again in the past 48 hours about 30 people have been killed on SA road in just 1 accident. I think the answer is, it is not particle to enforce this laws and if it was law it would just thus be stupid - may argument is exactly the same for people commuting by bicycle, should be law a law on helmets- it should be encourage and associations like PPA should continue with their good work of handing out helmet, but should it really be law? I understand full well when cyclist are racing helmets is a must and agree whole completely with PPA "NO helmet NO ride" rule at Fun rides / races.

Road riders ride through Cape Town with many riders in there "peloton" or whatever you call it. What's the difference between that and Moonlight Mass? Just cause it's been done at night doesn't change anything or does it?

Ok, what is the purpose of Moonlight Mass? If you can give me one good reason for having it, what would it be?

Does anyone perhaps have a tandem, maybe Mamphela Ramphele likes to cycle at nights!

Things are still going to get interesting in the western cape in the next year.

Guest Frail4Life

If i cycle home from work after 22h00, Am i Moonlighting?

In my 12 years i have been Stopped by Police/ Metro, Four times!

The one time i was Brutalized by the Police, arrested twice, received a Fine three times.

I have always been a Law abiding citizen but do not tell me I CANT cycle because its after dark, its dangerous. Life is one big Danger.

All just because I wish to use a Bicycle as a means of transport!

See I'm not sure that was the reason it started, sure it was fun and we had a permit so we could, but if there was no real agenda for the greater good, then I don't see why this thread even exists? Go ride!

Ok, what is the purpose of Moonlight Mass? If you can give me one good reason for having it, what would it be?

You ever been to the beach? What the propose of that? Skin cancer or having some fun in the sun? Same kind of fun (emotions / endorphins) is had at moonlight mass - purpose is fun!!!

Now they will put police on for beach goers along with lifeguards (especially new year / Easter weekend etc) - don't think you need permission to go to the beach, so with my tax paying money why can they not put on some police for us moonlight mass cyclist?

You ever been to the beach? What the propose of that? Skin cancer or having some fun in the sun? Same kind of fun (emotions / endorphins) is had at moonlight mass - purpose is fun!!!

Now they will put police on for beach goers along with lifeguards (especially new year / Easter weekend etc) - don't think you need permission to go to the beach, so with my tax paying money why can they not put on some police for us moonlight mass cyclist?

No, but someone will tell you that wearing sunscreen is advisable.

Have you requested it? As far as I know, MM has never had the same issues with drinking and theft on beaches over holiday season. It also doesn't attract thousands of cars..

Are we still blaming the city btw? I lost track..

Have you requested it? As far as I know, MM has never had the same issues with drinking and theft on beaches over holiday season. It also doesn't attract thousands of cars..

Are we still blaming the city btw? I lost track..

So on a comparative note Moonlight mass is a piece of cake!

Archived