2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2

nolipoli

Guest Omega Man

Evan getting his whip on in Morzine on the 10m table. After watching him do the huge stuff over there on that bike I have a new found respect for the Trance.

post-18968-0-82472000-1408693147_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Trance did this gap 2 weeks ago.

post-18968-0-56188100-1408693051_thumb.jpg

Did you and the Tracer fly handsomely over that one? O wait, I'm hearing poultry.... ;)

New Trance is extremely capable. Just need to upgrade a few components and there is not much it can't do. Perfect do it all bike.

Guest Omega Man

Did you and the Tracer fly handsomely over that one? O wait, I'm hearing poultry.... ;)

Lol. Dude I don't like the smell of p!ss on my kneepads if you get my drift.

Lol. Dude I don't like the smell of p!ss on my kneepads if you get my drift.

Haha! Nee fokkit. That's where my gonads shrivel into nothingness.

New Trance is extremely capable. Just need to upgrade a few components and there is not much it can't do. Perfect do it all bike.

Think the 2011 with 5" could do even more... its always been good :thumbup:

A Trance did this gap 2 weeks ago.

post-18968-0-56188100-1408693051_thumb.jpg

Holy crap that is a mother! That is a bit above my underwear size!

As I'm still getting my 'training wheel' in terms of fitness - I heard this bike is specifically designed with 2x10's and an extra gear on the cassette...so my question is if I upgrade my current bike (30 speed) 3x10's to this bike how much different will the gears be?

As I'm still getting my 'training wheel' in terms of fitness - I heard this bike is specifically designed with 2x10's and an extra gear on the cassette...so my question is if I upgrade my current bike (30 speed) 3x10's to this bike how much different will the gears be?

Depending on what cassette you have now and/or current wheel size.

Asssuming the same, then it's basically like dropping your big chainring and putting a bigger middle ring on

OK cool thanks guys.

Also after digging around a bit comparing the specs you're spot on...

Current bike:

Crank= Shimano XT 3x10 42-32-24

Freewheel= Shimano CS-HG81-10 11-36

Wheel size= 26 inch

Giant Trance 2:

Crank= Shimano SLX 2x10 24/38T

Cassette= Shimano HG62 11-36, 10s

Wheel size= 27.5 inch

So it looks like it won't make a difference if I read this correctly?

OK so where can i get one of theese.......i love the look and i must upgrade my bike now so who can put me on the right trail please.....contact me on 0761514356

Thanks

Heinz

OK cool thanks guys.

Also after digging around a bit comparing the specs you're spot on...

Current bike:

Crank= Shimano XT 3x10 42-32-24

Freewheel= Shimano CS-HG81-10 11-36

Wheel size= 26 inch

Giant Trance 2:

Crank= Shimano SLX 2x10 24/38T

Cassette= Shimano HG62 11-36, 10s

Wheel size= 27.5 inch

So it looks like it won't make a difference if I read this correctly?

Only a v slight difference, but that's only down to the tyres that are on the 2 bikes. Overall, the "easy" gear will be ever so slightly harder.

Only a v slight difference, but that's only down to the tyres that are on the 2 bikes. Overall, the "easy" gear will be ever so slightly harder.

Gearing is identical for both options at the the low end (24F/36R). It is only at the high end that the 2x10 loses out on length (38F/11R vs 42F/11R). This means you have to crank 10.5% faster in the longest gear for the same speed (or for the same Cadence you will go 10.5% slower)

Different tyres will have a neglible effect on gearing IMHO as you tend to run lower pressures in the higher volume tyre, creating a very similar rolling radius.

Gearing is identical for both options at the the low end (24F/36R). It is only at the high end that the 2x10 loses out on length (38F/11R vs 42F/11R). This means you have to crank 10.5% faster in the longest gear for the same speed (or for the same Cadence you will go 10.5% slower)

Different tyres will have a neglible effect on gearing IMHO as you tend to run lower pressures in the higher volume tyre, creating a very similar rolling radius.

As I said - the tyres will be the decider. I know the gearing is the same ito clusters, teeth and chainrings, but you HAVE to consider the larger diameter wheel when telling someone that pedalling will be harder / easier than another bike. If he has crossmarks on his existing bike, and Hans Dampf 2.3's on the new one, there WILL be a difference in pedalling difficulty on a given terrain. If it's the other way around, HD's on the existing and crossmarks on the new one, then the overall gearing (including the bigger wheel) will be more or less the same, as the resultant diameter will be pretty much the same as his old bike and the 650b will be no more difficult to pedal.

It's not just about the gear ratios - the wheel size is ultimately your "final drive ratio" and must be considered.

As I said - the tyres will be the decider. I know the gearing is the same ito clusters, teeth and chainrings, but you HAVE to consider the larger diameter wheel when telling someone that pedalling will be harder / easier than another bike. If he has crossmarks on his existing bike, and Hans Dampf 2.3's on the new one, there WILL be a difference in pedalling difficulty on a given terrain. If it's the other way around, HD's on the existing and crossmarks on the new one, then the overall gearing (including the bigger wheel) will be more or less the same, as the resultant diameter will be pretty much the same as his old bike and the 650b will be no more difficult to pedal.

It's not just about the gear ratios - the wheel size is ultimately your "final drive ratio" and must be considered.

My bad - I didn't register the different wheel size.

Ïf same model and size of tyre is used:

26" with the triple will be geared about 4% lower at the bottom end and about 6.5% higher at the top end

Archived