Triathlon ......

JGR

I'm in a similar situation i.e. no Tri bike and don't want to lash out more $ for yet another bike...or frame

Thinking of just modifying my road bike (TT bars, fwd seat post, deep section wheels)

What's the big deal (general question to all) with a IM Tri bike type frame other than the different geometry?

Surely you can achieve an efficient / comfortable TT position on a road bike with a few mods to the bars and seat set up?

I also tried that conversion of my road bike to a TT bike with a different seat, seatpost and clip on bars. I tried it for 4 years. I though it worked. Then I got a real TT bike and suddenly I went 3km faster and ran better and felt better etc.

There is a reason why these bikes differ.

The 2nd hand TT market sucks. I suggest you buy a secondhand TT bike. Be patient and keep checking the classifieds. Find an oke who is desperate, offer him less than he wants and wait... I know this sounds evil but just do it...

Lastly if you do decide to get one.. size matters. Make sure its a perfect fit.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not only about comfort. The TT setup makes you utilise different muscles. This is important for the run more than anything. Do 180km on a road bike and try and run after that. Not so easy......... hammies will kill you!

I also tried that conversion of my road bike to a TT bike with a different seat, seatpost and clip on bars. I tried it for 4 years. I though it worked. Then I got a real TT bike and suddenly I went 3km faster and ran better and felt better etc.

There is a reason why these bikes differ.

The 2nd hand TT market sucks. I suggest you buy a secondhand TT bike. Be patient and keep checking the classifieds. Find an oke who is desperate, offer him less than he wants and wait... I know this sounds evil but just do it...

Lastly if you do decide to get one.. size matters. Make sure its a perfect fit.

But why, maybe it's something like a placebo effect?

Many moons ago (+/-98) I had a Aero tubed Triathlon bike hand made for me...made to measure for my size.

Yes it felt quick (compared to my Columbus steel framed road bike) but I'm not convinced it was really quicker or more comfortable at the end of the day.

Comfort / efficiency in the aero position to me is priority for IM next year

Been watching Paki vs SA at Centurion....lekker sunny skies, braaivleis....Time to go check the local bike shops for "cheap winter special" Tri bike...

Going for a swim later at my local pool, luckily its got an indoor pool as well

webcam from this morning showing the outdoor pool

post-182-0-64094400-1385807223_thumb.jpg

Excellent goodie bag for Jailbreak - long sleeve shirt, branded coffee mug, zip lock bags, lipbalm, bike cleaner, race belt, quality swim cap, 2 gu's, bag of gu chomps and of course ... futurelife!

Went to the local BMC shop on Saturday and saw these

They are sure nice especially with the fancy wheels and Durace DI2

Took some pics and unfortunately had to save the worst one for last, damn sad sad sad.....

post-182-0-32061100-1385990249_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-39794200-1385990363_thumb.jpg

Dura ace finish is nice.....

post-182-0-88730200-1385991042_thumb.png

Plus the Lightweight wheels

post-182-0-94071100-1385991170_thumb.jpg

AND at R145'000.00 THE BAD SAD NEWS, dream on sakkie

post-182-0-85986900-1385991056_thumb.png

Edited by SwissVan

CHF 6000?

I dunno I only had eyes for this one...sob

Sfr 12999.00

post-182-0-37866300-1385991935_thumb.png

Edited by SwissVan

hahah at that price ill take two!

not some much with the extra 9

At that price I'll buy you one....

In reality I'll just have to wait at least another year before I go back there again...

At that price I'll buy you one....

In reality I'll just have to wait at least another year before I go back there again...

yeah well all the CHF 1299 get you is a return train ride to Basel

Question:

Cadence (pedal rpm) while in the TT position on ultra distance events, does anyone keep track of their cadence?

Why:

Wondering if anyone has noticed a change in their cadence while in the aero position with TT bars compared to normal road or mtb?

I like to follow the he who spins wins principal but not sure if this works for long distance TRI's...in theory it should but lately I've been noticing that in the TT position (on the IDT) that my "comfortable" cadence is slightly lower than normal (normal being mountain bike).

Question:

Cadence (pedal rpm) while in the TT position on ultra distance events, does anyone keep track of their cadence?

Why:

Wondering if anyone has noticed a change in their cadence while in the aero position with TT bars compared to normal road or mtb?

I like to follow the he who spins wins principal but not sure if this works for long distance TRI's...in theory it should but lately I've been noticing that in the TT position (on the IDT) that my "comfortable" cadence is slightly lower than normal (normal being mountain bike).

My cadence definitely drops on the TT bike in a tucked position, I try to spin faster but just find that a smoother slower cadence seems to be more comfortable.