1m space to pass cyclist now law in WC

carbon29er

and you're surprised why?

Why did you have it off in the first place?

I'd have been surprised too. A cop enforcing a law? Not seen that happen in ages.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am aware of your aversion to the stretchy stuff. I was ineptly referring to the generic cyclist.

I agree it is the law and needs to be complied with. I appreciate that an effort is being made to deal with cyclist safety and I hope that these new measures will give all road users cause to reflect on their road behaviour.

ROFL. Fair enough dude. And yeah. Something needs to be done. Short of a MEGA re-skilling and education drive for all motorists, as well as increased policing, massive rollout of cycle lanes (already happening in the Cape, but slowly) and proper enforcement of traffic violations, this is the first step to that change. A small step, granted, but a step nonetheless.

I am aware of your aversion to the stretchy stuff. I was ineptly referring to the generic cyclist.

I agree it is the law and needs to be complied with. I appreciate that an effort is being made to deal with cyclist safety and I hope that these new measures will give all road users cause to reflect on their road behaviour.

Specifically cyclists. I see a lot of cyclists shouting for protection while on the bicycle, but when in the car they sheep along like everyone else.

The only way to make a difference is to lead by example. If you are in the car, as well as on the bicycle.

Start with the basic things like keep left, pass right. Stop at an ORANGE traffic light, even if it means stepping on the brakes rally hard after checking your rear view for cars behind.

Adhere to the speed limit. Leave a little earlier than normal to avoid being late.

Dont drive over a painted island. Dont cross a solid line. Check your blind spot BEFORE changing lanes.

These are some of the simple rules I make an effort to adhere to every day in the car.

(am I sounding like that sunblock song?)

The law is only as good as the enforcement, which, as is currently evident not only on the road but in many spheres, is not happening. I'm pretty sure the current laws would be more than adequate if they were enforced properly.

All this has done is make a bunch of lawyers a small pile of money to write a new document that will achieve exactly the same as the last one - sod-all.

Oh, and that bit about using a bike lane where one is available? Given the quality and routing of some of the cycle lanes in CT, you may as well walk. You'll also need an air horn (and possibly a cow catcher) to get the pedestrians off the routes - ever tried to ride down the bike lane in Adderley st?

No wonder I ride MTB. Far less admin.

What if I told you this was me 2 years back?

Plus I prefer testing myself against obstacles outside my comfort zone as opposed to the monotony of smashing a road session. Even though it can be strangely cathartic at times. The smell of soil and tree is far more to my liking. Plus you can *** off far easier on the mountain

This still does not cover 2 up riding in the yellow lane now does it? If we ride in the yellow lane we may as well ride 2 up as we are breaking the law in any event just by being there. So now what?

This still does not cover 2 up riding in the yellow lane now does it? If we ride in the yellow lane we may as well ride 2 up as we are breaking the law in any event just by being there. So now what?

Sigh. We are not breaking the law by riding in the yellow lane. Aarto allows for it.

What if I told you this was me 2 years back?

Naah, he still wears lycra, just hides it under the baggies......once you've worn lycra, you can never escape it completely ;)