1m space to pass cyclist now law in WC

carbon29er

The problem with this is now the whole, 'I'm going to give the cyclist 1m but swerve into oncoming traffic because I'm too impatient to wait till its safe' manouver...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. I remember some traffic oke being interviewed on Cape Talk a while back and I'm sure he said that there was no law forcing cyclists to use the cycle lane.

But it is law NOW

So no more riding along Somerset Road as it has a cycle lane its whole length = yes be it pavement on the Town side

You are wrong. What this law means is if you are hit by a motor vehicle, the driver is guilty of breaking the law as they did not observe the 1 metre rule.

I would say possibly with the exception of if the cyclist is passing the motorist on the right hand side of the road 3 (a).

Many car/bicycle accidents are not because of cars passing too close, but has other causes. For example the 1 meter law does not come into play in an accident like Burry`s. I found it strange that Burry`s death sparked the 1.5m campaign yet it would not have meant anything in his accident. My feeling is that the 1m law will not make a big difference but still worth it to implement it just might save a life, but it will also instill a false sense of security amongst roadies.

4.(3) A person may not ride a pedal cycle on a public road or pedal cycle lane unless—

(a) the pedal cycle is fitted on the front with a white retro-reflector in accordance with regulation 186(3) of the National Regulations; and

(b) the pedal cycle is fitted on the rear with a red retro-reflector in accordance with regulation 187(4) of the National Regulations.

So must we all go and plaster our bikes with reflectors as well? So much for attempting to be a weight weenie on a road bike.

So must we all go and plaster our bikes with reflectors as well? So much for attempting to be a weight weenie on a road bike.

S4(1) obviates S4(3). Makes no sense.

it's also a law not to speed, drink and drive, drive through a red traffic light, observe right of way amongst others.

in essence this is just another law that will not be enforced, because it does not generate huge amounts of revenue like speed trapping.

as for the reflectors - i completely fail to see how this will aid cyclists being visible in daylight, when reflectors of that kind is useless during the day.

The problem with this is now the whole, 'I'm going to give the cyclist 1m but swerve into oncoming traffic because I'm too impatient to wait till its safe' manouver...

Exactly. This garbage just gives motorists more reason to pass far too close to cyclists. They should stick to the original law and enforce that cars do proper lane changes when passing cyclists.

they're hardly heavy... And besides, it makes you more visible at night. Just retrofit them to hang below your lights, and all will be well.

Oh, wait - I forgot. People don't have common sense anymore. It's all been replaced with bravado and self importance

Exactly. This garbage just gives motorists more reason to pass far too close to cyclists. They should stick to the original law and enforce that cars do proper lane changes when passing cyclists.

Gah. The law allows cars to now go into the opposing lane when there is a solid white line or a double line, where previously this maneuvre was not allowed and they had to wait until there was enough space within the lane, or a segmented (dotted) white line before they could pass.

In short - your statement is BS.

Many car/bicycle accidents are not because of cars passing too close, but has other causes. For example the 1 meter law does not come into play in an accident like Burry`s. I found it strange that Burry`s death sparked the 1.5m campaign yet it would not have meant anything in his accident. My feeling is that the 1m law will not make a big difference but still worth it to implement it just might save a life, but it will also instill a false sense of security amongst roadies.

If you are saying it comes down to simple consideration for fellow road users, i cannot agree with you more. After all, the law is only for law-abiding citizens.

S4(1) obviates S4(3). Makes no sense.

Makes perfect sense.

In daylight - you need reflectors (as you are a vehicle using a public road - all vehicles are required to be fitted with reflectors)

After sunset - you are required to have reflectors AND working lights.

There's no obviation, and it makes perfect sense.

'far too close' sounds like a highly subjective, if not highly emotional expression of discomfort. What then, in your opinion, will make you comfortable? For clarity, i'm asking how long is a piece of string...

there is a minimum of course.. but i'm not referring to the obvious either.

Edited by Capricorn

agreed 100%. It is, however, one way of making people feel a bit safer, as well as instituting an additional level of legislation that protects us cyclists as the more "at risk" portion of road users.

As for what else to do to get rid of / reduce road deaths caused by other means - education and strict enforcement of the current regulations by increased visible policing, and more importantly effective policing.

they're hardly heavy... And besides, it makes you more visible at night. Just retrofit them to hang below your lights, and all will be well.

Oh, wait - I forgot. People don't have common sense anymore. It's all been replaced with bravado and self importance

Was merely a slight tongue in cheek comment - humour in it lost in interwebs translation.

Like you rightly point out, they make you more visible at night. The statement implies that no one is allowed to ride a bike on a public road or cycle lane at any time of day without retroreflectors fitted. The irony therein is as RocknRolla pointed out that those reflectors would be pretty much useless during the day.

(3) A person may not ride a pedal cycle on a public road—

(b) abreast of another cyclist proceeding in the same direction, except when passing that cyclist;

opening or hopefully finally closing another can of worms