[Event] Barberton XCM MTB Challenge - NOT As Delicate As A Daisy!

Barberton XCM MTB

I was one of the DNFs on the 120km :(

I last did Barberton in 2005 and 6 and must say the 75km was tougher than the last time I did it. I had some mechanical issues with a nasty cut on my back tyre that just wouldn't "heal" but in all fairness my pacing was always going to be tight for the 75km cut-off. In the end I missed the cut-off but such is life and mountainbiking. The poor guy that had to cut my number off and thus disqualify me looked so apologetic!

Although I told everyone at the office today that it was a travesty of justice that I was not allowed to continue I must admit that there was quite a bit of relief from the quads when I was denied that final 45km. I will be back to try to conquer the beast - hopefully next year.

I must also say that I enjoy the "small race" feel - not too many people, most of them willing to help with punctures etc., encouragement and cheering from all - I think Barberton still has that old school mtb feel. Good one guys!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a bit of an issue with my and my partners DNF's...let me start by saying its not the first time i do the ultra at barberton, so i knew what i was in for from the beginning!

the issue i have is that we got a DNF because there was no one left at the school by the time we got back!!!!!!

although we had to stop about eight times for fixing a huge cut in my partners tyre, we still managed to get through the first cutoff on 4:40 at the 120/75 (read130/80km) split...we then also got through the second cutoff at 15:00 at the entrance to the nature reserve. by the time we then got to the first watertable after going into the nature reserve for the second time, they also had packed up and left! we even had to whistle to them to get out of the road with the bakkies as we approached them on the dirt road in the "housing estate" we rode through.

we got to the end of the race at around 9:45 but there was no one left at the school. no timing people, no sweep vehicle, nothing!!!!!

our wifes even asked one vehicle bringing back cyclist that did not make the second cutoff at the natue reserve if they know where we were and he said to her that they know there are two guys still out on the route.

with this said, i really think that they should at least send a sweep on a motorbike after the last cyclist and not pack up the water tables before the sweep passes.

i will never do barberton again until such time that the race is again taken over by a sponsor who actually organises a proper setup. it is very sad as this year was my seveth and LAST barberton.

i think for 300randelas (50for late entry), they can and should offer somtehing better...or maybe just wait for evrybody to finish, seeing that we were still within the cutoff times!!!!!

so can the organisers please advise why did this happen?

Dear "Vintage Vespa"

Thank you for contacting us and for the feedback.

Well done for making the cut-off times, and sorry about the bad luck that your partner had with his wheel.

The sweep vehicles were on the route with the last sweeper arriving at the Barberton High School at 17h00 (which is after you guys came in :)), further, the Rotary team was at the school till around 18h00.

We will most definitely ensure that we re-look this for the future, including the water points "hours" and that SS Timing stays a bit later.

Just wrt your comment about the sponsors, the race was organised by the Barberton Rotary club for the past 18 years, the previous sponsors was just that, so that didn't change at all.

We really do appreciate your feedback and will most definitely do our very best to ensure that we do not have the same complaints in 2015.

Really hope that you will join us for it.

Regards

Yes a slip up there, but that's good feedback to the organisers for next time, they should get accolades for making it happen.

As for the big sponsors, I didn't miss them and all their ho-ha: its mostly for the top-dawgs and cameras anyway.

I was one of the DNFs on the 120km :(

I last did Barberton in 2005 and 6 and must say the 75km was tougher than the last time I did it. I had some mechanical issues with a nasty cut on my back tyre that just wouldn't "heal" but in all fairness my pacing was always going to be tight for the 75km cut-off. In the end I missed the cut-off but such is life and mountainbiking. The poor guy that had to cut my number off and thus disqualify me looked so apologetic!

Although I told everyone at the office today that it was a travesty of justice that I was not allowed to continue I must admit that there was quite a bit of relief from the quads when I was denied that final 45km. I will be back to try to conquer the beast - hopefully next year.

I must also say that I enjoy the "small race" feel - not too many people, most of them willing to help with punctures etc., encouragement and cheering from all - I think Barberton still has that old school mtb feel. Good one guys!

Thank you for the positive feedback.

We, as the organisers really try our utmost best to ensure that the race is enjoyable and challenging (perhaps a bit more challenging):)

Now you know what to expect for 2015 and we really hop to see you back and become a "Daisy Warrior"

P.S. That's why the slogan is "Not as delicate as a daisy"

Thanks for the support!

Just another quick note:

The Barberton race is also one of those rides where people still have fun! Despite the toughness of the course there was a lot of chatting in the groups. Furthermore, there was a lot of help offered (and accepted) with punctures etc.

Thanks to the guy on the SS in the 120km group who lent me his pump and thanks to the team of two (also in the 120km group) who helped out with plugs and a CO2 bomb. I hope we can all keep this spirit of

camaraderie going and carry it on into other rides.

Good one, guys!

Entries done, can't wait been many years since I've done this event! Also the first time in a long time that my son and I go away to a race together :)

What's the word from Big B on his family ride?

What's the word from Big B on his family ride?

Hey man, was an absolute blast!

Drove up on Friday at lunchtime, arrived about 5:30 and found our room in the hostel. Basic digs but worked for what we needed for just one night and cheap. Also so convenient as registration and the start/finish was at the school.

Nice atmosphere as quite a few riders were booked in and lots of chatting and laughing. As usual though quite a lot of noise but no hassle.

With my in family CycleLab contact our registration was already done in Jo'burg on Thursday :) so we had our free pasta meal and then just chilled. Off course there was activity in the dorm corridor from early morning so we were up and about long before start time.

I like the casual small race atmosphere at the start and loads of friendly people around. But MAN I had forgotten how big the mountains were and without a doubt it was a lot tougher than I recall whhen we last did quite a few years ago. The omission of that legendary 17k downhill on wide dirt road with some drainage ditches and the detour via the nature reserve made for a tough day out.

I for sure rode a lot better than all those years ago and being able to ride all the climbs did help. Suffered with cramps towards the end :(

The water points, route marking and marshalling were top notch in my mind and no complaints at all.

My laaitie had a blast and whipped my ass by nearly an hour, the smile on his face as I crossed the line was priceless. Thankfully it starting raining about an hour after I finished .......

Lots to talk about on the drive back made it relatively short and then on to prep for Sundays Fast One :)

Tough weekend all round but a big sense of enjoyment :)

Good to hear that Bib B, yes, that last re-route and climb in the nature reserve took me by surprise, there I was telling all its down hill from now just before that. I had to walk most of it, my legs were good but my back needed a rest.

But the views were spectacular and the downhill drop into the gorge great, though I did notice a few walking it. late into a race when the fatigue sets in, that's when you fall off and hurt yourself.

Did anyone see that trench of the adjacent side of the valley there? Looked like a crack in the earth from seismic activity, but I figured is was a surface mine following a seam, the horizontal access paths gave that away.

Good to hear that Bib B, yes, that last re-route and climb in the nature reserve took me by surprise, there I was telling all its down hill from now just before that. I had to walk most of it, my legs were good but my back needed a rest.

But the views were spectacular and the downhill drop into the gorge great, though I did notice a few walking it. late into a race when the fatigue sets in, that's when you fall off and hurt yourself.

Did anyone see that trench of the adjacent side of the valley there? Looked like a crack in the earth from seismic activity, but I figured is was a surface mine following a seam, the horizontal access paths gave that away.

My wife saw the trench. She had lots of time to kill on the climb as she was waiting for me. Unfortunately she was not wearing her glasses so could not make out too much detail.

Hey man, was an absolute blast!

Drove up on Friday at lunchtime, arrived about 5:30 and found our room in the hostel. Basic digs but worked for what we needed for just one night and cheap. Also so convenient as registration and the start/finish was at the school.

Nice atmosphere as quite a few riders were booked in and lots of chatting and laughing. As usual though quite a lot of noise but no hassle.

With my in family CycleLab contact our registration was already done in Jo'burg on Thursday :) so we had our free pasta meal and then just chilled. Off course there was activity in the dorm corridor from early morning so we were up and about long before start time.

I like the casual small race atmosphere at the start and loads of friendly people around. But MAN I had forgotten how big the mountains were and without a doubt it was a lot tougher than I recall whhen we last did quite a few years ago. The omission of that legendary 17k downhill on wide dirt road with some drainage ditches and the detour via the nature reserve made for a tough day out.

I for sure rode a lot better than all those years ago and being able to ride all the climbs did help. Suffered with cramps towards the end :(

The water points, route marking and marshalling were top notch in my mind and no complaints at all.

My laaitie had a blast and whipped my ass by nearly an hour, the smile on his face as I crossed the line was priceless. Thankfully it starting raining about an hour after I finished .......

Lots to talk about on the drive back made it relatively short and then on to prep for Sundays Fast One :)

Tough weekend all round but a big sense of enjoyment :)

So happy that you enjoyed it!

See you next year!

Big thumbs up to the all who made the event a HUGE success. The big Wigs left and the Local vibe Shone thru.

It was my wife's 1st 1/2 marathon and maybe my 7th in the last 9 years. Despite the Challenging route which brought a sense of accomplishment on her behalf she was amazed by the scenery, route, participants attitude ( Both race snakes and snails). Despite my "local Knowledge" of the route providing her running commentary of whats ahead, that hill ( great addition) in the reserve caught us all out. The new singletrack after the dam with them Camel Humps needs to be tweaked, but a welcome addition.

Congrats once again on a well run event.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi guysThe dates for the next Barberton XCM is confirmed! 31 January 2015 To stay update please follow us on Twitter @BarbertonXCM or like us on Facebook www.facebook.com/BarbertonXCM or www.barbertonXCM.co.za We also added some more pics of the event on our Facebook page. See you there!