BB External bearings - The cheap rebuild

dirtrider

Awesome post.

Did mine but have one question and a bit of advise:

Replacement bearings are marginally wider than the ones that camoe out of my Deore BB.

Has anyone found this as well or do I have wrong bearings (6805)

The plastic inserts lifted out, has a small lip which needs to be filed/smoothed off otherwise they squeese closed and you have hard time pushing the cranck through. This means that the other side could move out a bit when cranck is pushed in but can be easily tapped back into position.

With the bearings being slightly wider, I now cannot get that litle locking gate thingy to go down before tightening bolts. Take it the hole does not line up now. Not sure its a big deal as with bolts torqued it should be fine.

What to do ????

BB had doule spacer rings on drive side and I could remove one of them.

Any suggestions ???

Also found that bearings can range in price from R 14.00 to up to R 90.00. The latter is supose to be stainless steel or what ever but will try cheapies and replace more regularly

Help and comments will be appreciated.

Thx

Eric

Your observation is spot on. A genuine 6805 bearing is 7mm wide and a fake one 6mm wide. What do I mean by fake? The stuff in Shimano and Shimano style BB cups. Even though they say 6805 on the seal, if you look up 6805s in the SKF or FAG bearing handbooks, you'll see that they are 7mm wide.

The bearings used in those cups are proprietary and cannot be purchased.

What you need to do is firstly find a pair of old cups with the narrow ridge around the bearing - it's been posted here somewhere, maybe even in this thread and then replace it with the Enduro bearing made for that purpose. This bearing does away with the plastic cap and allows the axle to press directly intot he bearing.

They're not great either - suffer from the same water intrusion problems as the real thing, but at least they cost less than R200-00 a set.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's an excellent price for a BB. However, I don't see any fundemental differences between that and the similar prodcuts from Shimano, SRAM, FSA etc. The bearing would be the same and the seal (ha ha) is that same plastic cap that goes on the outside of the bearing. Could it be that you've just been lucky for the last 7 months?

I think the external BB is the worst thing Shimano has perpetrated in a long time. And that includes some very evil stuff they've done - their crappy brake pads, the new XT/XTR hubs and Biopace.

Quite right - I may have been lucky - plus we have just come through the "dry" months in Gautent so perhaps less water ingress.

Perhaps the tolerances are tighter or the grease is thicker? I haven't checked - purely non scientific speculation.

Agreed on the external bb - they're terrible - once or twice through some water and it's throw away time...

Quick question - 90% of my Shimano BBs fail in the left side - does everyone else have the same? Right side lasts 3-4 times as long as left.

Quick question - 90% of my Shimano BBs fail in the left side - does everyone else have the same? Right side lasts 3-4 times as long as left.

I remember this poser before. One theory that i liked is that water find's it's way into the 'sealed' system like it always does. since you normally place your bike on the ground on the non-drive side down to protect your drivetrain, gravity always soaks the water down into the bb that side.

dunno if that makes sense, or is likely but i think it's plausible for the left/right discrepancy

• 2 months later...

Ordered late on Friday afternoon and just received two sets of replacement Enduro bearings from Rush Sports...excellent service from the guys there...thanks Andre!

Ordered late on Friday afternoon and just received two sets of replacement Enduro bearings from Rush Sports...excellent service from the guys there...thanks Andre!

Hi XTC1

I have to comment here as well,

Recently I have done quite a bit of business with Andre and RushSports, and ONLY good things to say!!!

Responses are accurate and quick.

Reply's and assistance even better.

One UP for RushSports and Andre, OH Yes, not to forget the reliable assistant, Kerrigan :clap:

GREAT service

• 5 months later...

I have taken all apart cleaned fitted new bearings but now cannot screw in the plastic end cap. The cause is due to the bearings being wider by 1mm.How would I get around this? Is it just a case of removing one of the cup spacers as tese are mm thick, but this may cause problems with the inner plastic case.

Any suggesttions?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Silly question

Can you also replace the bearing on the other cup (the one with the plastic bit)? I have just taken my BB off and the cap side is fine (bearing moves ok - bit of friction but workable) but the other side only moves with force (alot of force).

Its either try fix it or buy a new BB (I think I may buy a new one and put that on and experiment with my old one

Ignore the above, didn't realise the plastic bit was dettachable from both cups :( Feel like such a took haha

• 5 weeks later...

Does any body have bearing size for the Shimano (hollowtech II) SM-BB51.

Would like to get a spare pair for when they need replacing.

There is a company on voortrekker road, Cape Town, just past the bearing man going towards Goodwood, on the left. Use there bearings at work, and they out last other makes 10-1.

Does any body have bearing size for the Shimano (hollowtech II) SM-BB51. Would like to get a spare pair for when they need replacing. There is a company on voortrekker road, Cape Town, just past the bearing man going towards Goodwood, on the left. Use there bearings at work, and they out last other makes 10-1.

Ive got the same question but would also like to know what tool you used to take the BB out if you do not have a BB Cup tool?

Does any body have bearing size for the Shimano (hollowtech II) SM-BB51.

Would like to get a spare pair for when they need replacing.

There is a company on voortrekker road, Cape Town, just past the bearing man going towards Goodwood, on the left. Use there bearings at work, and they out last other makes 10-1.

Not sure of the size but give Andre at Rush Sports a call on 033 346 2300 and he'll sort you out with a set. They are about R138 per kit.

• 4 weeks later...

How did you remove this BB Cup?

You need an external BB tool, something like this. There are a few variations around but all do the same job.

post-24642-0-09067600-1345535020.jpg

• 1 month later...

Quick question for the bb experts here. I want to know of it is possible to use a set of powercranks that come with the standard bb on my pressfit bb that i currently have on my Giant road bike? Or how this can be done?

• 7 months later...

LX , XT , XTR crank ? It should be a tight fit but you should be able to get it in and out with a light tap from a mullet . I assume you using the same plastic inserts that came out when you removed the caps ?

Last time I looked, a mullet was a fish. But I suppose a good tap with a mullet should get it in!

Archived