Taken out by a car door ...

JohnnyReggae

Firstly JohnnyReggae , I'm glad you're OK.

I'm going to go against the flow here, also being a cyclist, but you are in the wrong!

Thank your lucky stars that you just probably got a "dumb blonde" that day, who is clueless to traffic laws,

and was just very friendly and a good Samaritan.

You are overtaking down the left hand side of a vehicle, - illegal,

and overtaking close to a pedestrian crossing, - also illegal

The lady could have expected you to pay any scratch dent etc, on her car door.

Stay safe :thumbup:

Thanks man :)

Regarding the rest of your post, you're probably right and I do have to accept some responsibility for the accident. You may have noticed my lack of ranting in my original post ;) I believe there are multiple parties at fault, myself amongst them. In a strange bit of irony I was actually thinking, 10 minutes before it happened, about what I could do if someone opened a door on me as I had another narrow miss a few weeks back, this time a parked car with the driver just throwing the door open. Then thinking about something else ... booom ... Accidents happen, I know this fact. I've had many... many bails on my Uni in the forest, some were nothing, a couple others I had to walk out the forest very slowly and get taken to hospital for some patching up.

I'm grateful that although I'm in some pain, especially when I walk ... reckon my pelvis is fairly bruised, that I'm still in 1 piece, no broken bones and I can sit on the interwebs and chat about it.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks man :)

Regarding the rest of your post, you're probably right and I do have to accept some responsibility for the accident. You may have noticed my lack of ranting in my original post ;) I believe there are multiple parties at fault, myself amongst them. In a strange bit of irony I was actually thinking, 10 minutes before it happened, about what I could do if someone opened a door on me as I had another narrow miss a few weeks back, this time a parked car with the driver just throwing the door open. Then thinking about something else ... booom ... Accidents happen, I know this fact. I've had many... many bails on my Uni in the forest, some were nothing, a couple others I had to walk out the forest very slowly and get taken to hospital for some patching up.

I'm grateful that although I'm in some pain, especially when I walk ... reckon my pelvis is fairly bruised, that I'm still in 1 piece, no broken bones and I can sit on the interwebs and chat about it.

Right attitude to have...good man,

if i don't have space to ride a meter away from parked cars, i go very slooooooooowly (less then 18km/h), especially Albert Rd in the afternoons, Woodstock and Salt River. Doors open up all the time.

my fear is not much the crash from being hit by a flinging door, I fear more being thrown in the path of traffic and then get run over.

Hi JohnnyReggae.

Great attitude, I hope you did not feel upset by my post.

Unfortunately, we are the "softer" party always.

A good accessory would be to invent eyes in the back of our heads as well. :eek:

We have to contend with all sorts of road hazards, potholes, taxis, motorists, and ........ sunday drivers.

Unfortunately, this happened in your case.

You have bruises, but have learnt something. :thumbup:

Edited by fabs

hi johnnyreggae

hope u have a speedy recovery.

this reminds me of about 3 years ago going down main rd close to durham avenue. a truck driver just opened his door. he would of taken just my head off. my bike would of probably continued lol. i just missed it by a few cm's.

another occasion about 3 weeks ago. early morning ride coming thru camps bay strip. there a lots of people parking there in the am and going for a ride. this guy in a suv with a bike on the back just kicks open his door. evasive action was required. one would of thought being a cyclist he would know better. best is to rather give yourself a wider berth from parked cars.

Only been doored once, at about 35km/h by a parked london taxi - quite a robust door if you haven't had occasion to inspect one at close quarters as I did.

This was on the Regents Park inner circle and this cab and one other behind it were the only vehicles in sight. The door greeted me like a perfectly-timed cricket bat addressing a full toss. The bike stopped dead as I went over the top and landed about 3m on the other side of this slab of metal. I still remember my whole body went numb when I hit the deck, and I had to wait a few seconds to confirm everything was still attached and in working order.

The door I managed to seriously damage - only consolation I suppose - as well as bend my mtb fork back on itself. No apologies or offers of assistance from the cabbie - he was more interested in the damage to his door.

I adjusted my riding style accordingly thereafter and have not been clotheslined since.

To the best of my knowledge its illegal for passengers to disembark from a vehicle that is in traffic even if not moving, the car needs to stop in a safe and legal stopping zone and allow the passenger to disembark only once safe to do so, ie not obstruct traffic. Cyclists are allowed to ride between cars or between a car and the road margin even if the cars are stopped at a traffic light or pedestrian crossing, obviously the cyclist needs to obey/yield at the pedestrian crossing or traffic lights once they get there.

I'd say the lady and her passenger were firmly in the wrong, they should be liable to cover all your medical bills and expenses.

Johnny, I'm glad to hear you're OK, but you have to be careful posting such calm and rational stuff here on the Hub. Remember this is the land of fire-breathing dragons and mayhem. ;)

Hi JohnnyReggae.

Great attitude, I hope you did not feel upset by my post.

Unfortunately, we are the "softer" party always.

A good accessory would be to invent eyes in the back of our heads as well. :eek:

We have to contend with all sorts of road hazards, potholes, taxis, motorists, and ........ sunday drivers.

Unfortunately, this happened in your case.

You have bruises, but have learnt something. :thumbup:

Fabs, not upset about your post at all. It was rational and put in a polite manner. When you approach people like that they are always more willing to listen to what you have to say than if you're shouting at them :clap:

Johnny, I'm glad to hear you're OK, but you have to be careful posting such calm and rational stuff here on the Hub. Remember this is the land of fire-breathing dragons and mayhem. ;)

To be honest I was expecting to be flamed by someone. Pleasantly surprised that everyone has been so civil :thumbup:

To the best of my knowledge its illegal for passengers to disembark from a vehicle that is in traffic even if not moving, the car needs to stop in a safe and legal stopping zone and allow the passenger to disembark only once safe to do so, ie not obstruct traffic. Cyclists are allowed to ride between cars or between a car and the road margin even if the cars are stopped at a traffic light or pedestrian crossing, obviously the cyclist needs to obey/yield at the pedestrian crossing or traffic lights once they get there.

I'd say the lady and her passenger were firmly in the wrong, they should be liable to cover all your medical bills and expenses.

Skylark , please read the rules of the road carefully concerning overtaking - otherwise try MTB where you can do what you like in the bush.

"

Passing of vehicle

1) The driver of a vehicle intending to pass any other vehicle proceeding in the same direction on a public road shall pass to the right thereof at a safe distance and shall not again drive on the left side of the roadway until safely clear of the vehicle so passed: Provided that, in the circumstances as aforesaid, passing on the left of such vehicle shall be permissible if the person driving the passing vehicle can do so with safety to himself or herself and other traffic or property which is or may be on such road and –

(a) the vehicle being passed is turning to its right or the driver thereof has signalled his or her intention of turning to his or her right;

(b) such road is a public road in an urban area and –

(i) is restricted to vehicles moving in one direction; and

(ii) the roadway is of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles;

© such road is a public road in an urban area and the roadway is of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles moving in each direction;

(d) the roadway of such road is restricted to vehicles moving in one direction and is divided into traffic lanes by appropriate road traffic signs; or

(e) he or she is driving in compliance with the directions of a traffic officer or is driving in traffic which is under the general direction of such officer, and in accordance with such direction:

Provided further that in no event shall any passing referred to in paragraph (a), (b), © or (d) be done by driving on the shoulders of the roadway or on the verge of the public road concerned.

- See more at: http://www.arriveali...ational#part1_3 "

Edited by fabs

Skylark , please read the rules of the road carefully concerning overtaking - otherwise try MTB where you can do what you like in the bush.

"

Passing of vehicle

1) The driver of a vehicle intending to pass any other vehicle proceeding in the same direction on a public road shall pass to the right thereof at a safe distance and shall not again drive on the left side of the roadway until safely clear of the vehicle so passed: Provided that, in the circumstances as aforesaid, passing on the left of such vehicle shall be permissible if the person driving the passing vehicle can do so with safety to himself or herself and other traffic or property which is or may be on such road and –

(a) the vehicle being passed is turning to its right or the driver thereof has signalled his or her intention of turning to his or her right;

(ii) the roadway is of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles;

© such road is a public road in an urban area and the roadway is of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles moving in each direction;

(d) the roadway of such road is restricted to vehicles moving in one direction and is divided into traffic lanes by appropriate road traffic signs; or

(e) he or she is driving in compliance with the directions of a traffic officer or is driving in traffic which is under the general direction of such officer, and in accordance with such direction:

Provided further that in no event shall any passing referred to in paragraph (a), (b), © or (d) be done by driving on the shoulders of the roadway or on the verge of the public road concerned.

Yes well 2 wheeled vehicles incl bicycles are legally allowed to pass slow moving or stationery vehicles on either side of a vehicle, its called lane splitting . You read about that? You probably also didn't notice I said road margin not road verge or shoulder - there is a difference...

"Contrary to popular belief, the practice of motorcycles traveling between two lanes of traffic (better known as lane-splitting) is actually legal in South Africa.

Article 298 of the National Road Traffic Regulations, 1999, allows a motorcycle to pass another vehicle in the same lane (either to the right or the left of the other vehicle, subject to certain provisions). Article 309 reiterates this, with the proviso that more than one motorcycle may not pass another vehicle at the same time.

What is a contentious issue is the speed at which motorcycles lane-split. Some motorcyclists do this at high differential speeds (the speed difference between the motorcycle and the surrounding traffic), which is unsafe.

The Think Bike Motorcycle Safety and Awareness campaign (which I am a member of), while upholding the right of motorcycles to lane-split, recommends a differential speed of no more that 20-25 km/h during lane-splitting (for example, if the surrounding traffic traveling at 20 km/h, the motorcycle should not be traveling faster than 40-45 km/h).

At these speeds lane-splitting is reasonably safe, and it has the benefit of easing traffic congestion on the road. Think of it this way: every lane-splitting motorcycle is one less vehicle between you and your destination. "

Edited by Skylark

"

Passing of vehicle

Errr. surely this only applies to motor vehicles. If you are on your bicycle on the left side of the road (where all cycles are suppose to be) and a car is stopping or driving slower than you in the lane to your right, what exactly is a cyclist suppose to do? Stop ? Drive around the car passing on the right? No way.

Edited by silvertemplar

By definition on the traffic laws, unless a human pedal powered cycle is mentioned for specific reasons, a bicycle occupying a road is a vehicle.

By definition on the traffic laws, unless a human pedal powered cycle is mentioned for specific reasons, a bicycle occupying a road is a vehicle.

Different rules for different classes of vehicle, or is that not very easy to understand?