Ganglion Cyst - Anyone else got this from cycling?

Caerus

Hi all,

Just to add to my already mounting issues :wacko: . I've got knee injury currently even after going for a proper bike setup since buying the road bike which I'm going back to today to get sorted out.

To get to the issue at hand, or should I say finger, I've now noticed that at the joint on my baby finger(in between the knuckle and palm) I have developed a ganglion cyst or bible bump as it's also commonly known, this has only happened in the past few weeks.

It gives no hassles, is not painful unless pressed on and is about 3/4mm in diameter.

Just trying to find out from the Hub doctors if anyone else has had this happen from MTBing and what they did about it?

Many Thanks

I developed the same thing as of April after I changed bikes. Mine is in the same palm area but along the ring finger. Hurts on really long off road rides (4 hours +). Doc says my setup caused the problem. I have rotated my bars in an effort to release pressure on the palm. Keen to see the response's to this thread.

I've also been getting pains in my fingers when hitting the downhills, not sure if I'm clinging on for dear life too hard. I could imagine that this would what someone with arthritis might feel like, it's only after the downhills though.

I developed the same thing as of April after I changed bikes. Mine is in the same palm area but along the ring finger. Hurts on really long off road rides (4 hours +). Doc says my setup caused the problem. I have rotated my bars in an effort to release pressure on the palm. Keen to see the response's to this thread.

I tried waking the thing, with a small hammer, don't have a bible and would be too big. I know that you can have them removed or drained.

The ex wife also developed one on her wrist after quad biking. She asked me to wack it, but I hit her over the head instead :w00t:

Google Dupuytrens, I developed mine from a fall.Just had it fixed along with the torn tendons in my wrist.

Google Dupuytrens, I developed mine from a fall.Just had it fixed along with the torn tendons in my wrist.

To be fair, I used DuckDuckGo, but that seems vastly different to what the OP is talking about.

My son has one, and had it since he was 3 years old. It constantly change in size, from being almost gone to being quite big. Operations on it is known to have mixed results. It is not a cycle-specific injury, but from my research it has something to do in how the tissue under the skin was formed, and that moisture then gets trapped in a cavity. Hitting it hard may rapture the tissue forming the cavity, causing the fluids trapped to drain. However, chances are good for the cavity to form again.

Edit: His is on the back of his hand, about 1cm from his wrist, so he sometimes stuggles with putting on gloves.

Edited by Moridin

Hitting it hard may rapture the tissue

:eek:

I saw someone here talking about Jedi Christ, but I dunno about the rapture of the tissue.

(I know traditionally you use a Bible, but I think it was just the heaviest book around, not used for it's Holy qualities...)

Edited by Cellar

I came across this on Youtube, there are others as well,

I remember my mom had one when I was a kid. The doc hit her with some big-assed medical book.

Guest Latent Blue

Not from biking... just a random thing happening... "popping" then or aspirating the contents doesnt make a difference. O e can have one removed quite quickly by an orthopod under local anasthesia

Guest Latent Blue

I have one as well. Doesnt bother me too much... sometimes painfull as hell thougg

That hitting thing is an old wives tale. My wife had one from her jewellery manufacture..she had it surgically removed

Edited by Stretch

Hitting it hard enough with a heavy book MIGHT work to reduce it - but its not the best way to go - and not good for your health if you do this to someone else - especially if you do it by surprise... Its a minor procedure to dissect it, and has better long term, rests than rupturing it - you do want to be 100 percent sure it is what you think it is before removing it surgically and I dont advise rupturing it with a book or similar and they always seem to come back if you aspirate it with a syringe.

Can you not have it removed and the reason why its there determined, perhaps by MRI?

I Had one (Ganglion cyst) on the lateral side of my right knee outside the knee capsule for many years (+/-15), right where you get ITB pain. It got worse over time and as a result had it surgicaly removed in January this year, best thing i ever did no more lump and more importantly no more ITB like pain.

It formed as a result of fluid leaking from the knee through a tear in my meniscus which was also fixed (stitched).