Tallboy 1 Carbon (2013) Sizing issue

Bosbrommer

Hi guys,

I need your expert help again.

I am 1.82cm in length.

I am considering getting a Tallboy 1 carbon 2013 (one just before the TB2) I am considering getting a L but i am uncertain if i need to go to the XL model. The sc bikes are generally smaller. My ergofit says i need a toptube length of 63cm. The L is shorter than that, but cant find the exact numbers on the sc website. Only the TB2's stats is on there. I dont want to ride with a huge long stem. Having said that, i am doubting the ergofit numbers because it also states that i need a seat height of 72cm from the BB but i am closer to 76cm. So confused! :)

Any SC owners out there that can please assist me? These frames are obviously not cheap and dont want to make a wrong decision!

Thanks guys.

Krynauw

I am 1.83m and ride a Large with a 60mm stem.

Seat height 78cm

No problem.

An XL felt a bit stretched for me

I am 194cm and ride a xl with a slightly angled seatpost .i prefer the slightly smaller frame .TheXxl is just too big .I think the Xl will be perfect for you .my xl eff is 635cm .The TB 1and2have the same geometry

I'm 1.83, ride a large with a 90mm stem, setback seatpost. Saddle nose to headset bolt = 485, bb to top of saddle = 785. Perfect for me. Depends if i do a xc or marathon I adjust the height of the handlebars by way of the spacers. Played around with a 70mm & 80mm stem but 90 seems good for me. Handle bat width 690. Wanting to go wider at some stage soon.

I am 194cm and ride a xl with a slightly angled seatpost .i prefer the slightly smaller frame .TheXxl is just too big .I think the Xl will be perfect for you .my xl eff is 635cm .The TB 1and2have the same geometry

Your 2+2 does not add up.

There is an 11cm difference between the two of you and an 11cm difference at 1.94m is the difference between sizes.

Go with the Large.

If you are in between bike sizes Kraynauw (which I dont think you are, you should be on a large) then go for the smaller frame. It will be more comfortable, handling will be better, more responsive and easier to manuver.

(Blitzer, this is where the XL was Your smaller choice over the XXL)

With the Ergofit, dont look at only the effective top tube, look at your reach also.

Do you want a smaller frame with a 130mm stem? NO

Do you want a bigger frame with a 60mm stem? NO

You need to find the middle ground and more often than not, when you look at reach you will see what frame will work best.

Your legs are not too long either.

At 72cm you will not have an issue with the seatpost going behind its max. (on a Large)

I have that problem myself. With a saddle height of 85cm I am sometimes forced to choose the XL frame because I can not get the saddle high enough on the Large and I am only 1.87m (410mm seatpost)

Even then, the numbers of the Ergofit is a guideline, you still have to sit on the bike and have it fitted to you. Your angles needs to be checked and sometimes those angles and the numbers dont agree and ajustments are made for the better.

Santa Cruz sizing chart based on Height, so a guideline only.

At 1.83m, you are 6ft ... smack bang in the middle of a large.

At 1.94m you are 6'3ft ... border line XL or XXL

(this is where the smaller choice was probably the better choice)

post-4352-0-06020000-1386529694_thumb.jpg

There is an 11cm difference between the two of you and an 11cm difference at 1.94m is the difference between sizes.

Go with the Large.

If you are in between bike sizes Kraynauw (which I dont think you are, you should be on a large) then go for the smaller frame. It will be more comfortable, handling will be better, more responsive and easier to manuver.

With the Ergofit, dont look at only the effective top tube, look at your reach also.

You need to find the middle ground and more often than not, when you look at reach you will see what frame will work best.

At 72cm you will not have an issue with the seatpost going behind its max. (on a Large)

I have that problem myself. With a saddle height of 85cm I am sometimes forced to choose the XL frame because I can not get the saddle high enough on the Large and I am only 1.87m (410mm seatpost)

Even then, the numbers of the Ergofit is a guideline, you still have to sit on the bike and have it fitted to you. Your angles needs to be checked and sometimes those angles and the numbers dont agree and ajustments are made for the better.

I am on the max of a XL .Was advised to go XXL but glad I did not .If it wasn,t for the setback post the frame would be to small .He is on max L and easy XL .Probably better to go with the smaller frame for better handling ,but an XL with everything standard will also work well

Krynauw .Get the large .Best bike R you will ever spend !.I have front lockout also on fox RLT {not the kashima bling }.Works like a charm with fox CTD rear shock

Edited by Blitzer

Go with the Large.

Something I've realised that Ergofit does not take into account

I am 1.88 and ride a XL... very comfortably. SC sizing is smallish. I suggest you get on one and see for yourself.

You know why I love thehub? This is exactly the reason why! Thanks for the replies guys, so I am going with the L. This is serious cash so had to make 100% sure. Going to put my 2013 lefty on it, hope it works as well as i think it will!

Thanks again!

Smaller frame is not always better, I'd rather go for the XL, with short 70mm stem. Anything over 90mm is too long for a MTB

I'm 1.78 and ride L with 70mm stem, which feels almost small for me. I'd consider a XL if could try one...

What you must keep in mind, especially on full suspension is weight distribution on the bike, with too long stem, you weight will be too much over the front end, and you will work the fork too hard, and vica versa....

ideally you should have tried to ride both a L and XL properly set-up for you before you buy... there is no black and white... and the nr's never tell the true story

I'm 1.78. Had two "Medium" Tallboys with long stems - 115mm.

Moved to a Large on my TB2 with a 90mm stem and much happier. (Could probably go even shorter - 80 or 70mm)

You're slap in the middle of the Large frame sizing as per the diagram posted - you should be fine with a large.

Get bike and enjoy every minute of it, you won't ever ride anything else!