Are these differences worth the R2k price difference?

Uni

Looking the women specific silverback bikes,

for a approx R2k price difference

• Rims - what's the difference to PVC Rimtape vs Polyurethene Rimtape - the latter has eyelets? is that important?

• Hubs - shimano FH-RM66 vs HB-RM35
  • Brakes - Shimano BRm446 vs BR-M360
  • Rear Derailleur - Deore Shadow vs Acera
  • Front Derailleur - Acera vs Altus

specifics here

http://www.silverback.co.za/upload/2011_website_SILVERBACK/splash1_14.htm

http://www.silverback.co.za/upload/2011_website_SILVERBACK/splash2_14.htm

for someone like me (that's ridden the Slade 4 and fell in love) - but I don't do anything hard core but I do want a bike that will last me a while - is it worth spending the extra on the higher spec'd bike.

I must add i simply detest the colour of the Splash 2 - sorry i'm a girl, colours matter.

Thoughts/opinions?

In short - yes.

The fork on the Splash 1 is an Air fork - far better than the elastomer POS on the Splash 2. It will give you a better ride, is lighter and more efficient.

The Deore RD on the 1 will also be far more durable than the Altus on the 2 (as in, leagues better - will shift better, hold it's adjustments better and will just be plan BETTER over time - its tolerances are far lower than the Altus level derailleur)

Wheels on Spash 1 will also be stronger as a result of the eyelets (reinforces the nipple recesses in the rim)

better brakes (at this level any improvement is a good thing)

better shifters

FAR better crank. The one on the 2 is a bottom of the range stamped steel crank. If you need to replace a chainring, or if one of the teeth snap off, you ave to replace the whole crank. It's a single piece design which is not built for longevity. The one on the Splash 1 is an Octalink design, which, as well as allowing you to change out individual chainrings when they are worn, is far stronger than the one on the 2.

so - yes!

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Rimtape shouldn't have eyelets? Should it? I mean rims can or not, depending on their tublesness readiness, but the tape is not.

i'd look for a ws bike in the classifieds here or gumtree,

i've seen a few in the last month...

i'm sure youd get more bang for your buck.

unless you really want a brand new one under the xmas tree,

then i say go for the splash 1 and haggle to get it at the splash 2 price..

hows that?

Edited by exsanguinator

i'd look for a ws bike in the classifieds here or gumtree,

i've seen a few in the last month...

i'm sure youd get more bang for your buck.

unless you really want a brand new one under the xmas tree,

then i say go for the splash 1 and haggle to get it at the splash 2 price..

hows that?

in a way I guess I want every scratch and ding on the bike to be mine - bit anal I know - and also not knowing much about bikes I don't feel confident buying second hand. Being my first proper MTB i do want her shiny and new - Chicks. Go figure!

just pisses me off that we have to pay more for Female specific geometry and the components aren't that great.

Rimtape shouldn't have eyelets? Should it? I mean rims can or not, depending on their tublesness readiness, but the tape is not.

I might have transcribed that wrong

My wifes first bike was a mens bike. We simply changed the stem to a shorter one and fitted a Ladies saddle and it was basically the same as a womans specific geometry.

You don't need to buy a womans specific bike. You can buy a mens bike and make a few tweaks and you will have just as much fun...

ja,i'd go for a dual suspension s/h,mens or womens...

if in doubt.get a hubber to meet you there and give it a going over,or even a link to the ad at the very least...its not all criminals out there selling things...

As lapa said, you don't need to take a women's specific bike. Try looking at "men's" bikes as well, the spec on them are generally higher and not as expensive.

Uni, wait for me to get life back in my top lip and I will give you a call.

We are here to get you on the right track and also vow to help you with a good price.

Your old bike had no top tube, it could be daunting when you get bike that has one.

I am fully committed to get you on the right bike and also a smile on your face.

if youre looking at between 5 and 7K for the splashes new

use that as an offer on s/h bikes between 7 and 9K and youre geting a bike between 16 and 35K in in original value

Way better deal...

And now that theres even more 29" getting sold off s/h,the 26" prices are falling even further and next year theyre a year older etc etc

But it could mean the xmas tree will be without a mtb under it

Uni, wait for me to get life back in my top lip and I will give you a call.

We are here to get you on the right track and also vow to help you with a good price.

Your old bike had no top tube, it could be daunting when you get bike that has one.

I am fully committed to get you on the right bike and also a smile on your face.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

considering what you and Carpet did for fun this weekend - get your feet up and chill you guys deserve it.

Re. that top tube - seems i have my folks to blame for the short legs - haahaa