Fat Bike

Wayne Potgieter

Without the pedals and FUNN upgrades selling between 11500 & 13000

Depends where you buy and how hard you negotiate

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys, wondering if anyone can assist?

I work at a holiday resort in PE and we are looking at buying some Fat Bikes to do guided tours including some beach sections. I'm just a bit worried about how fit/strong you need to be to ride on the sand? We'd have to cater to all levels and ages and the terrain is not too technical or hilly - mostly flat. Would the average person with no mtb/cycling background cope with riding on the soft sand?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

I did the Imana Wild Ride route on my Spez Fatboy. 8 of us in total, 4 standard 29ers, my Spez with 4.6" tyres and 3 Titan Woppers with 4.0" tyres. As expected the fatbikes dominated on the sand. They were faster and more comfortable than the 29ers. On the harder sand all the fatbikes were pretty much the same, on the really soft stuff the 4.6" tyres were significantly better. So go proper fat, bigger is better on sand.

check out the RAPID BIKES range - www.rapidbikes.co.za - we have the FATCAT COMP available now and the new FATCAT PRO arrives Late Dec/Early January. 

I Have done Joberg2c on my Spez Fatti, what a awesome machine to ride.

Done 3500km in 11 months on mine, never missed a beat at all

Hi

I did about 40 km ( no cycling computer) @ the cradle on Sun

Was really great.. a little tougher on hills but no more than my Marin dual sys was .. but a jol in the dirt..

Once I'm fitter I'm gonna love the rides with the Fatty

It's already a blast .

Rode Modderfontein today

Flatted but luckily only a small thorn so tube held until I got home

What a jol

Rides no harder than my dual sys marin used to uphill but with soft set up on tyre air pressure the rest is a blast

post-2502-0-34660200-1446916451_thumb.jpg

I bought 19" motorbike tubes that I cutted on the outside seam and then used as for rimtape to make my fat rims tubeless, cut the extra bit off afterwards.

The only disadvantage of this method is that whenever you wanna change tires, you'll have to use another motorbike tube, cause you will never be able to get the tube in the perfect spot again.

Somewhere on this thread I explained and showed photos of how I did it.

Flip...Im not sure, best is, take youre rim with you and check that the tube will be more or less half of the rim width at least, so after been cutted it will be wider than the rim.

The 19" sits nice and tight around the rim, I first tried a 21" tube, but it was to loose on the rim.

Most motorbike tubes will be big/wide enough for our application.

Check my post at #741 on this thread, what I forgot, put two strips of high density foam both sides of the rim if youre tires fits very loose on the rim, that helps the tire to seat even with a hand floor pump, no compressor needed, then you put your motorbike tube over that with your motorbike valve going throuht the normal valve hole.

Hope it make sense, check on you tube, plenty of short videos showing how to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the tubeless conversion...

I used 19" x 100 motorbike tubes

Last weekend I did 45km riding from Greenstone to Rosebank (Jan smuts) to watch the front runners of the 94,7 .. I noticed the tyres bleeding out the side wall and by Wed I had lost 1/2 the tyre pressure. . I added 120ml more Stans and today did 3 hours at modderfontein with no bleeding and held my pressure ..so I believe it's sorted. .

Riding this bike is the most fun I have had since buying my 1st BMX 40 years ago. . Its not gonna win me any races but it's a total jol

I can ride anywhere and go anywhere no track needed ..

Only thing I would improve in time would be the wheelset and tyres going tubeless rims will make a huge difference .

There is no need for shock upfront ..

The beast will make me strong ..and I believe I will enjoy her even more once my replaced hip and leg have strengthened up ..

Can't wait to ride river banks , beaches , the bits of desert in Namibia ..etc..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

While I have some recuperation time from a fkn broken hip, I picked up a Rapid FatCat Comp for an absolute bargain (R3K brand new). New brake setups with 180mm rotors, wider bar, shorter stem and lighter tubes are on their way. Next, I would like to change to at least a 2x9 setup, from the current 1x7.

Does anyone know what crank (or only arms), BB if necessary, and cassette/RD/shifter combo would make this possible? I don't really want to experiment, so advice please?

Archived