Fat Bike

Wayne Potgieter

I came off my fatbike HARD yesterday. It was a straight but rocky and bouncy downhill jeep track. I was completely overconfident and went balls to the walls. I literally started bouncing progressively towards the side and ended up in the rocks at high speed. Many lessons learnt.

Fat wheel "shock absorption" cannot handle a rapid sequence of hits at speed.

Big weight and speed needs lots of space to slow down.

Fatty rims are not tubeless specific - the tyres comes off under big stress.

Fatty tires have big sidewalls. They can get huge cuts.

ALWAYS carry a tube. Even if they weigh a lot (luckily I did).

I REALLY DON'T LIKE THAT FEELING OF BEING TENDERISED STEAK ANYMORE.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://singletrackworld.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2015/05/P1000600-640x480.jpg

Maybe I should post this in the Chines Carbon thread as well. I saw that these guys are now selling complete bikes from China. I contacted Peter for a price and received the following response:

2300 USD/ unit for the CS-010 complete bike with Shimano XT groupset

Shipping by EMS will cost 265 USD total, and 4% commission to PayPal will be charged

Best Regards,

Peter

It does look quite decent and works out about R31,000.

Some pics here:

http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,473.0.html 

Maybe I should post this in the Chines Carbon thread as well. I saw that these guys are now selling complete bikes from China. I contacted Peter for a price and received the following response:

Shipping by EMS will cost 265 USD total, and 4% commission to PayPal will be charged

Best Regards,

Peter

Some pics here:

Any idea until what size tire will fit in that frame and fork.

What guarantee do they have on the frames, are there a weight limit on those frames?

Very neatly done!!

Best Regards,

Peter

Some pics here:

Plus 15% duties. Plus VAT.

Best Regards,

Peter

Some pics here:

Living in Groot brak rivier with all the sandy beaches we have around us, I would really like one of them. Even one of the Silverback fatties will be a nice to have.

I am very happy my fatty isn't 1x. Those wheels need a bit of grunt at times. They are also good to go fast at times - spinning out. I am a 1x fan but I think Joe Average will use all his gears on typical fatty terrain.

Plus 15% duties. Plus VAT.

Yep agreed, but these guys normally "help us" by putting a lower value on the customs slip...

Any idea until what size tire will fit in that frame and fork.

What guarantee do they have on the frames, are there a weight limit on those frames?

Very neatly done!!

No sorry no idea, maybe send Peter a mail at petercycles@foxmail.com he is normally quick to respond.

No sorry no idea, maybe send Peter a mail at petercycles@foxmail.com he is normally quick to respond.

For CS-018 and CS-010, it max fit 4.8" tire, But CS-N019 can fit 5.0" tire max and it with full inner cable routing.

• 2 weeks later...

Where can I get less aggressive tires for my fatty? I've got the Spez ground control 4.6" at this stage. I'll be commuting on relatively flat gravel roads. What are my other options - I want to go tubeless as well.

Where can I get less aggressive tires for my fatty? I've got the Spez ground control 4.6" at this stage. I'll be commuting on relatively flat gravel roads. What are my other options - I want to go tubeless as well

Are you wanting to run a wheelset with regular rims and mtb tyres or fat tyres with less grip?

Where can I get less aggressive tires for my fatty? I've got the Spez ground control 4.6" at this stage. I'll be commuting on relatively flat gravel roads. What are my other options - I want to go tubeless as well.

Ground control is not aggressive at all, considered close to a semi-slick. Granted the spacing of knobs is further apart on the 4.6's but it's still not an aggressive tread

Ryanpmb - I basically want less grip and knobs that are closer together in the centre for less rolling resistance. As I said, I won't be doing any scary stuff, just a daily commute and the odd play session.

Maybe I should go for a 4" tire?

I did Joberg2C on my Fatty this year ( had the Epic as a decent training ground)

Must say, I dished many a hard clap out with the bike, the sandy roads, the single track, all they heard was the rumble of those tyres and my JUMA bell

Day four was a mess, bouncing from one side to the next on the single tracks, many blisters and sore hands but man was it a day to remember.

I was the only one to finish the 900 odd km's and will do it again soon.

Ryanpmb - I basically want less grip and knobs that are closer together in the centre for less rolling resistance. As I said, I won't be doing any scary stuff, just a daily commute and the odd play session.

Maybe I should go for a 4" tire?

Will these do?

post-12909-0-27611400-1432556784_thumb.jpg

post-12909-0-42316800-1432556788_thumb.jpg

Archived