Fat Bike

Wayne Potgieter

Yes, for the type of riding I do, those will work. I was also looking at Maxis tires.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still nothing about Cannondales Fat bike....has anyone got any more info...I got this photo on FaceBook..??

post-42252-0-90626900-1437119869_thumb.jpg

post-42252-0-87976000-1437129072_thumb.jpg

post-42252-0-72692600-1437466513_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi guys, wondering if anyone can assist?

I work at a holiday resort in PE and we are looking at buying some Fat Bikes to do guided tours including some beach sections. I'm just a bit worried about how fit/strong you need to be to ride on the sand? We'd have to cater to all levels and ages and the terrain is not too technical or hilly - mostly flat. Would the average person with no mtb/cycling background cope with riding on the soft sand?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

I work at a holiday resort in PE and we are looking at buying some Fat Bikes to do guided tours including some beach sections. I'm just a bit worried about how fit/strong you need to be to ride on the sand? We'd have to cater to all levels and ages and the terrain is not too technical or hilly - mostly flat. Would the average person with no mtb/cycling background cope with riding on the soft sand?

If you're talking soft, dry beach sand then they're quite challenging - pretty hard work to maintain momentum and limited handling. For slightly harder (normally wet) sand they're very easy to ride. Best bet is to get one and try it out on your terrain. The tyres are only double the width of normal mtb tyres so they still sink into the sand.

Still a lot of fun and a unique experience for most even if some people need to get off a push for a few sections, or at worst they fall over at 10kph on to soft sand.

Gearing is probably what you need to look at. Small chainring up front with a wide spread at the back. 

Two main issues. Loose/dry sand as above. Loose sand you must be strong/ have cycling legs. Hard or low tide sand is easy.

Don't forget the wind. Those tyres really feel the wind especially on an exposed beach. Always start into the wind with newbies.

As I said on another thread. I am VERY excited. I entered Fatattack. Check it out.

Fatattack.co.za

New type of challenge.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just moved over to the Fat side..

I went to the cycle fair last week and tested a fatty..

It was a real eye opener, I enjoyed it so much on Monday I sold my road bike and got a Mongoose Argus ..as I don't race anymore I wanted a bike - A do it all bike .. I have found the do it all bike for me .. obviously 5 kg heavier than my 7kg road bike but I can skip across a tar mac and into a jeep track without any worries

And no suspension *** to maintain.. just big ass tyres

The Mongoose is obviously not a carbon racing machine but she has decent SLX derailers and Deore shifters with hyd disc brakes

I have fitted FUNN seat post with Sella Italia saddle , light weight FUNN stem and bars.. I know riding hills will be a little more challenging but WTF .. I ride cos I love cycling now days not to win any races

Just collected Saint Pedals .. need to fit them

But so far with Funn bits fitted

I must say I liked the look of the fatti bikes since they came on the market, eager to know what they are like riding wise etc.

If I may ask, what's the price on it?

Archived