Practice Dirt Jumps & Tracks for Beginners in Cape Town

Rock Rabbit

@ omega - behind the American international school? They're still there. But they've grown quite large. Not as big as the seen berg jumps, but still big. There is a small (very small) pump line there as well though.

Best bet would be the sun valley jumps. Just treat them with the respect they deserve and DO NOT ALTER THEM AT ALL.

Thanks for the posts.

I am just looking for a small place to practice getting some air, mainly to incorporate the skill into a technical single track ride. You can have such fun at places like Jonkershoek if you can incorporate all the little jumps into your run. I don't plan on hitting the big stuff anytime soon, if at all actually. Thanks, I might go check out the track in Sun Valley.

I think the one thing everyone can agree on is respect. Respecting the trails & builders etc. Does anyone know how I can get involved in helping to build the trails in Tokai? Who manages them? I would like to help out.

It's amazing to go out for a ride, and everyone that passes greets you or asks you if you need any help when you're stopped. Friendly. Now that's a cool sport to be a part of, let's keep it like that.

Guest Omega Man

@ omega - behind the American international school? They're still there. But they've grown quite large. Not as big as the seen berg jumps, but still big. There is a small (very small) pump line there as well though.

Best bet would be the sun valley jumps. Just treat them with the respect they deserve and DO NOT ALTER THEM AT ALL.

No that's soetvlei. Justin Novella is the trail boss there.

I'm talking about the line of jumps in the park in pinehurst road.

Edited by Omega Man

No that's soetvlei. Justin Novella is the trail boss there.

I'm talking about the line of jumps in the park in pinehurst road.

Oh, cool... Will have a look at them next time I'm in the area.

Rock Rabbit - First saturday of each month, 9am at the gate in Tokai arboretum.

@Omega Man - thanks, I went to go check the jumps in Pinehurst rd. It seems they haven't been used in a while and need a bit of attention, which is fine, I don't mind grabbing a spade and reworking them. The only question is whether there was a legal reason why they were abandoned? It would be nice to know if I am free to build there. Perhaps you know who the builder was?

@cpt armpies mayhem - Trail 'n Tar are having a day down at the jumps in Sun Valley, I will go check it out then. I will go lend a hand at Tokai asap.

Guest Omega Man

@Omega Man - thanks, I went to go check the jumps in Pinehurst rd. It seems they haven't been used in a while and need a bit of attention, which is fine, I don't mind grabbing a spade and reworking them. The only question is whether there was a legal reason why they were abandoned? It would be nice to know if I am free to build there. Perhaps you know who the builder was?

@cpt armpies mayhem - Trail 'n Tar are having a day down at the jumps in Sun Valley, I will go check it out then. I will go lend a hand at Tokai asap.

I don't know who the first builder of the jumps in Pinehurst road was but Dan Saunders and Dylan Godfey took them over a few years ago. They maintained them for a while but they have since discovered girls and the jumps are no longer riding. Well bikes anyway. The property owners seemed pretty ok with us digging and riding there. Just be respectful. Don't litter that sort of thing.

The jumps in Sun Valley were built primarily by Duran Van Eeden. You'll see him on Saturday. Dark hair, mullet, mustache, super talented and friendly, doesn't seem to own a t shirt.

Hey I am not disagreeing with you. I have been warned not to go there as I will be F'd up but by all means... let us know.

Edit: Lets not ruin this for the rookie. There are dozens of great spots to ride in CPT and jumpers are all pretty friendly and you might even meet some great new mates. A bit of trails etiquette goes a long way too. Southern Cross jumps are the only place I know about where the locals are protective but that's all on hearsay. Perhaps its not like that but I know that noone else rides there which is very weird if its not true.

I see those guys - or 1 or 2 of them there every now and then. A lot of standing around leaning on spades but no jumping is all I've seen... They chain off the start making it impossible for anyone to get a run in without the key. Not really a beginners place either..

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, I'm the guy building at Kirstenbosch, if your keen to help Build and ride, then pm me and we can figure something out! No dig no ride, only contact me if your willing to put in some hard work!

I live near those Pinehurst jumps, and was there 2 weeks ago, yip they been left for a while but a few hours and a few riders will resurrect them easily....you need a good run up from the top of the park, there's plenty of space to extend them too, they a bit short and out of sync...

• 3 months later...

Pine hurst road?

I'm keen to lend a hand or build when I get back from sani2c.

Also keen on somewhere close to Claremont.

• 4 years later...

I live near those Pinehurst jumps and visited them about 4 months ago. Unless anyone has fixed them I can agree they are not in good condition. I am really wanting to help fix them and am probably going to get a few friends together and make them nice. If anyone is also wanting to fix them please dm me. Thanks hope we can get them in a working order. And does anyone know of a place that needs help building jumps as I would love to help. If so again please dm me and tell me if there is an age requirement to help there thanks again.