Spruit Spade work

Mileage

Well, unfortunately for the pedestrians and old ladies who hate other people having fun, they don't own Delta Park. The city does. And more specifically, City Parks manage public spaces. And even more specifically than that, a lady named Ursula Naidoo is the contact person, and her email address is unaidoo@jhbcityparks.com What? You also want her phone number? Telephone : 011 712 6616 And her cell phone? That's pushing it a bit. Not really. Mobile Number : 072 891 7635

Drop her a line and ask her if the City would object to a group of enthusiastic cyclists turning the Spruit into the premier MTB destination in the city. Tell her that they don't have to do anything except give us permission. Then, when the little old ladies come and complain, you show them a City Parks endorsed middle finger...

Sadly there is a lot more to this than just a phone call.

A while back a group of riders attempted to develop a little in the delta. The sweeping corners and the line up top by the school to be specific.

They had permission. it went very bad, very quickly and the organiser of the build day was almost arrested.

Delta is a big fat NO for now.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, unfortunately for the pedestrians and old ladies who hate other people having fun, they don't own Delta Park. The city does. And more specifically, City Parks manage public spaces. And even more specifically than that, a lady named Ursula Naidoo is the contact person, and her email address is unaidoo@jhbcityparks.com What? You also want her phone number? Telephone : 011 712 6616 And her cell phone? That's pushing it a bit. Not really. Mobile Number : 072 891 7635

Drop her a line and ask her if the City would object to a group of enthusiastic cyclists turning the Spruit into the premier MTB destination in the city. Tell her that they don't have to do anything except give us permission. Then, when the little old ladies come and complain, you show them a City Parks endorsed middle finger...

Fantastic.... Will look into it a little..... If we can get paperwork from her we should be safe.... If she is the right person to make the call.... But maybe the approach should be for the kids and safety with all this crime around.... We all might have to see them for a meeting....

Fantastic.... Will look into it a little..... If we can get paperwork from her we should be safe.... If she is the right person to make the call.... But maybe the approach should be for the kids and safety with all this crime around.... We all might have to see them for a meeting....

Good call. If it will help, the DA councilor for the area, David Potter, is a cyclist too and may be able to facilitate the meeting. Let me know if you want his details.

Sadly there is a lot more to this than just a phone call.

A while back a group of riders attempted to develop a little in the delta. The sweeping corners and the line up top by the school to be specific.

They had permission. it went very bad, very quickly and the organiser of the build day was almost arrested.

Delta is a big fat NO for now.

Any details on what happened? If we can get the right people involved, and learn from past mistakes, progress can be made.

Yeah, that sounds like the article I heard about 3rd hand.

Wonder if this trail will have any "features". if it's just a dustyroad around the edge of delta... then cyclists may as well just start riding that until one wears in.

But if it has some flowy bery sections, a few jumps etc... then I'll even help build!

Yeah, that sounds like the article I heard about 3rd hand.

Wonder if this trail will have any "features". if it's just a dustyroad around the edge of delta... then cyclists may as well just start riding that until one wears in.

But if it has some flowy bery sections, a few jumps etc... then I'll even help build!

Think paving...

Think paving...

now I'm thinking of skipping delta altogether.

But yeah, that will be cool for those who want to potter around with kds or something

Edited by patches

We have been trying for close to 10 years to get permission and stuff done on the Spruit. Every time we nearly got somewhere there would be a new city parks person to deal with and everything went back to square one.

The only thing we managed to do was kinda get permission through Delta school to build stuff on the school embankment. And they said we could make a path going down the treeline. We built ONE berm with a fallen tree in that section and they freaked. That's why Gav was threatened by Parks.

The only thing we managed to do was kinda get permission through Delta school to build stuff on the school embankment. And they said we could make a path going down the treeline. We built ONE berm with a fallen tree in that section and they freaked. That's why Gav was threatened by Parks.

What was the issue, the berm, or the use of the fallen tree?

What was the issue, the berm, or the use of the fallen tree?

Who knows. Whenever we tried speaking to them all we got back was environmental impact study...

Who knows. Whenever we tried speaking to them all we got back was environmental impact study...

Like the "compromised structural integrity" lecture that THE Spruit Fairy and I got while he was building the hip jump on the Emmerentia embankment :lol:

If you look at the link i posted earlier, maybe we should enlist the help of the African MTB Association - they seem to know what hoops to jump through.

Like the "compromised structural integrity" lecture that THE Spruit Fairy and I got while he was building the hip jump on the Emmerentia embankment :lol:

That's when all of you engineers who ramp ramps should've buried her in jargon...and spruit dirt...it's always easier to build a feature when you use something soild as a base :ph34r:

We have come to the conclusion that she grew up in Holland. :D

BTW, that hip jump is still cool. Just keep it small and give it some shaping.

We have come to the conclusion that she grew up in Holland. :D

BTW, that hip jump is still cool. Just keep it small and give it some shaping.

it would be a shame if someone were to spill some Roundup on the path leading to that jump :ph34r: