2013 DC

Ysterkas

During the 2013 DC in Swellendam one of our team mates Barend van Staden of the Randmark SOS team lost control of his bike on the decent in Tradouws pass resulting him in colliding with a wall .He was seriously injured and was taken to the hospital in Worchester .After a few days he was diagnosed with Lock in Syndrome caused by a burst vein in his brain and was a quadriplegic (spelling) .It is with great sadness to inform you that he passed away this morning The Randmark club lost one of his young members in this festive season.RIP Barend we will miss you.

Randmark cycling.

Ysterkas,

We passed the scene.

That was a real high speed corner.

So sorry to hear.

Tenderness to his loved ones.

Ride In Peace, Barend.

Wow. Horribly sad news. Hate these reminders that what we do is actually dangerous... It always reminds me of the line "you play other sports, you don't play cycling".

Rest in peace brother, and my condolences to the family.

Ride safe guys.

This is dreadful news and very unnerving , we passed him a few minutes after it happened and we were saying how he didn't look good at all.

Sincerest condolences to his family, so very sorry to hear this.

Quite intense! I remember going past there when they had either a bakkie or ambulance standing there (don't remember as was flying down there after a puncture).

Condolences and strength to friends and family. RIP Barend :(