Transbaviaans 2014

Garfield2010

Here's a summary of the briefing (if you do attend, you won't hear anything anyway as Wikus mumbles a lot):

Load boxes on trucks by 9

Be in chute by 9:30

Go to toilet at 9:35, 9:40 and 9:55

Listen to rendition of the National Anthem at 9:57

Hear Wikus mumble something

Start at 10am

Turn right

Turn left

Turn right

Turn left

Checkpoint 1,2 and 3 are quite obvious

Make sure to turn off left to checkpoint 4 (if you go downhill for a long time you've gone too far)

Checkpoint 5 on your right

Turn right

Take the left fork

Checkpoint 6

Checkpoint 7

Turn left

Turn right at railway line

Somehow get to Fountains on tar

Finish

Beer time

Where does all this cycling i have been told about happen? All i see is turning, eating, drinking and checking in. This ride is gonna be E A S Y.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where does all this cycling i have been told about happen? All i see is turning, eating, drinking and checking in. This ride is gonna be E A S Y.

Cycling? You do that in your own time. This is an adventure with mates!

Baviaans is easy - it's downhill all the way to the sea and you should be done 8pm.

Cycling? You do that in your own time. This is an adventure with mates!

Baviaans is easy - it's downhill all the way to the sea and you should be done 8pm.

Ja...

Not so sure about that anymore. Just did the Tracks for Africa download of the 2014 TB onto my Bryton.....

and

Its 738.10 km. Seems i have to go back to the start and re-ride the race 3 times or something.......

Might not make that 8pm Sat night beers appointment hey.... :thumbdown: :oops:

Edited by Too tall

You should be able to upload the GPX file direct to your Garmin. I'm assuming MapMyRide let's you download it as a GPX file, I've never tried that part. PM though if you can't, I'll send you the one I converted and uploaded.

I'll be using an eTrex on the day - also a Garmin, but more of a hiking unit. The principle and files are the same though, so you should be able to get it working

Edit: they do have instructions on the T4A site, but that'll need you to install MapSource (I had it already):

http://tracks4africa...ps/specialmaps/

have you checked the distance of the gpx file? I am getting probalimsss.....Have you been able to open the track on the Garmin PC software to see if its correct?

Ja...

Not so sure about that anymore. Just did the Tracks for Africa download of the 2014 TB onto my Bryton.....

and

Its 738.10 km. Seems i have to go back to the start and re-ride the race 3 times or something.......

Might not make that 8pm Sat night beers appointment hey.... :thumbdown: :oops:

The published T4A file is a bit of a mess to be honest - seems to have leftovers and hacked bits in it. I have a cleaned up MapSource GDB and GPX export if you need.

thanks but it show nearly 3000m climbing and 220km instead of 230km ..............NOU WORRY EK EERS !!! :eek:

Hehehehe, 3000m of climbing... more like 4000m did it last year and you can check all the uploads on strava from phones/brytons/garmins all showing 4000m

have you checked the distance of the gpx file? I am getting probalimsss.....Have you been able to open the track on the Garmin PC software to see if its correct?

There is one track that is correct, and a messy bunch of bits - plus at least one checkpoint off in the middle of nowhere.

I'll upload my cleaned up one to Drop Box and post a link

Edit: give these a try. GDB and GPX files:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kxy6zislmt0pt6w/AACpnn3mWDlrZqfTAX4K593na

Edited by walkerr

Turn right

Take the left fork

Keep going for a very looooong time

Then when you see the top, Remember that you still have to keep going and going and going, you might get there eventually but you just need to persevere for a little till you can actually see the top, but this time it will be a false peak and you just need to keep going. I got out of breath typing this, but try to keep going.

Checkpoint 6

EDITED

Here's a summary of the briefing (if you do attend, you won't hear anything anyway as Wikus mumbles a lot):

Load boxes on trucks by 9

Be in chute by 9:30

Go to toilet at 9:35, 9:40 and 9:55

Listen to rendition of the National Anthem at 9:57

Hear Wikus mumble something

Start at 10am

Turn right

Turn left

Turn right

Turn left

Checkpoint 1,2 and 3 are quite obvious

Make sure to turn off left to checkpoint 4 (if you go downhill for a long time you've gone too far) hehe, can just imagine someone doing that.

Turn right

Take the left fork

Checkpoint 6

Checkpoint 7

Turn left

Somehow get to Fountains on tar - Worst part of the whole Baviaans. :thumbdown:

Finish

Beer time

Hehehehe, 3000m of climbing... more like 4000m did it last year and you can check all the uploads on strava from phones/brytons/garmins all showing 4000m

And we all know that Strava is extremely accurate with total ascent :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

I measured 2820m in 2010 using my Polar, which I calibrated the morning before the ride.

Somehow get to Fountains on tar

Finish

Beer time

As far as I understand this has changed now. From the gpx file it looks like it will be a gravel road/jeep track that runs parallel to the tar road.

Anyway, I'll have a look at the route description on Friday evening with a cold beer..or six.

And we all know that Strava is extremely accurate with total ascent :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

I measured 2820m in 2010 using my Polar, which I calibrated the morning before the ride.

Ah sorry, didn't knew that Strava change the ascent when uploaded from your bryton/garmin gps

As far as I understand this has changed now. From the gpx file it looks like it will be a gravel road/jeep track that runs parallel to the tar road.

Anyway, I'll have a look at the route description on Friday evening with a cold beer..or six.

This was covered by:

It's a jeep track that runs next to the railway line. We used a section of it a few years ago when we did the detour.

It's the bit after the railway line to Fountains that I'm not sure about, but I reckon it should be simple from there.

This was covered by:

It's a jeep track that runs next to the railway line. We used a section of it a few years ago when we did the detour.

It's the bit after the railway line to Fountains that I'm not sure about, but I reckon it should be simple from there.

Oh yes I remember that. If memory serves they had a 'checkpoint' on that section as well that year. Year of the Langs. We finished in daylight...the next day...at 08.00 :w00t: