Traffic circle

Malut

Hi Hubbers

Can anyone tell me what the law states regarding cycling around a traffic circle. Keep to the left as always or use the lanes the same as a motor vehicle? Had a close call with a car.

Edited by Malut

Despite what the gutter law says, I find keeping left very unsafe in some circumstances. Circles, with cars coming in and out, and drivers generally being confused, cyclists need to be seen and respected, and therefore (I believe) in the middle of the road.

If you want the law on your side, the new regulations are extremely vague and need to be properly interpreted before they can cited with certainty. The regulation states

keeping as close as practicable to the left edge of the roadway.

Now, does "practicable" include the riders safety concerns (in places like a circle) or is it only concerned with physical road conditions? Sadly, this may require a few more deaths/ injuries before it is clarified.

Edited by Nick.

Thinking same as a car.

A bicycle has the same right to be on the road as a car, whether the road is straight or a traffic circle.

SA drivers don't know or don't care about the rules of the road and even less about cyclists, so always be careful.

Edited by schweinehund

Thinking same as a car.

A bicycle has the same right to be on the road as a car, whether the road is straight or a traffic circle.

SA drivers don't know or don't care about the rules of the road and even less about cyclists, so always be careful.

I like what you are saying here. Us cyclists have as much right to use roads as vehicles.

Thanx. I used the left lane, but had my arm out while approaching each exit. Car came past at speed and exited in front of me. Had to brake hard, locking rear brakes, but kept it uprite. It was like I wasn't there to him.

Anticipate the actions of motorists. Whether you are entering or exiting, staying left or right, chances are most will not see you. Determine your own fate as much as possible.

Edited by Cippo

Gotta own the lane. Use big hand signals and try your best to make eye contact.

So many morons have no idea how to use a traffic circle, even if the lanes are clearly marked.

If you are in the outside lane of a circle, the accepted rule is that you are taking the first exit to the left. Any other exit and you MUST (as a road user and vehicle) use the inside lane and use it as you would while in the car. You cannot blame another road user for your inappropriate use of the circle.

As was said before - own the road. If you were in the outside lane, road users would reasonably assume that you are taking the first exit. If another road user carried on straight when I was observing the proper use of a circle, I would vloek him solid for being a Douche and not observing law of the road. As the driver should have done to you.

Simple really.

Edit: spelling

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Armpies, I've been taught differently. Left lane, left or straight. BUT DON'T CUT THE F'EN INSIDE LANE! Right lane, Straight (beware of left-lane cutting eedjits) or Right.

..and then you get Paarl drivers' interpretation - oh my hat, a red robot is a christmas trimming and they can't even figure a 4-way stop, let alone a circle. (For which reason I try like crazy to avoid them on a bike, but when I do, EYE CONTACT and indication is key in my mind.)

Anyways, here's what arrive alive has to say :

To Turn Left (taking the first exit)

• signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
  • keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signaling left to leave.

To go straight on (taking the second exit)

• select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout. If no marking on the road it is usually safest to keep to the left lane
  • stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
  • signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

To Turn Right (taking the last exit or third exit )

• signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
  • keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
  • signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

correct. The proper procedure is left lane equals first or second exit. Right lane equals second or third exit (or fourth if you are going back from whence you came).

Me......my regular ride to get to the trees involves a third exit...and I own the right lane when doing this and use hand signals

Edited by Stretch

Hey Stretch, that's very different to the European standards then. If you think about it, anyone coming from the preceding entrance, trying to get to the second exit, would potentially have someone cutting him off If they were following those directions...

Hey Stretch, that's very different to the European standards then. If you think about it, anyone coming from the preceding entrance, trying to get to the second exit, would potentially have someone cutting him off If they were following those directions...

not if they time their entry into the circle correctly.

The problem with this method is that if not everyone knows this it can easily lead to an accident