Bike Jacking at gun point

Wolverene

This seriously Sucks!! And if nothing is done about this situation, it will only get worst.

My two pennies comment here: should we not decide to gather all together with our bikes in one point of the City, spot to be decided, and have newspapers and Medias involved so to have this dramatic and tragic issues brought to the attention of everybody? certainly with the Cape Argus around the corner, this kind of negative publicity could have negative impact to the City's Major and Police and we may gain some well deserve attention with regards of these acts of violence. If we keep on talking only among ourselves I do not believe we are not going to have much success in having this trend stopped. I am getting seriously concern of the many incidents happening to fellow riders and I believe we should try and do something all together against these bastards...

My two pennies comment here: should we not decide to gather all together with our bikes in one point of the City, spot to be decided, and have newspapers and Medias involved so to have this dramatic and tragic issues brought to the attention of everybody? certainly with the Cape Argus around the corner, this kind of negative publicity could have negative impact to the City's Major and Police and we may gain some well deserve attention with regards of these acts of violence. If we keep on talking only among ourselves I do not believe we are not going to have much success in having this trend stopped. I am getting seriously concern of the many incidents happening to fellow riders and I believe we should try and do something all together against these bastards...

+1 Maybe try and get some high ranking politicians involved as well

We had the same problem in PTA East with guys that was shot at and actually shot for bikes in October or Nov last year. We involved the media, police and even the DA ward councillor to put pressure on the not so assisting SAPS. The guy who took a bullet through his helmet actually got a small radio spot as well on Jacaranda if I recall. Search the hub for bike jacking in PTA East. Lots of info on what we all did. So yes, use every possible avenue to stop these cowardly bastards.

Hope you all that was affected by these guys are ok.

Hi

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend, it's really scary as I recall the many times I've been alone on that stretch of rd, it could Easily have been me.

It seems these guys are not random bike thieves they seem to be Very selective and specific about the bikes they target.

I agree this needs to be highlighted at the highest level; as we go into argus training period this popular rd could be the scene frm my worst nightmares- wife waiting for me at home to be greeted by police informing her I was killed in a bike robbery. Sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it.

I'm in support of any initiative to highlight the safety plight of cape town cyclists.

Cana

I don't live in CPT but if I did I'd be looking for an old cheap and cheerful steel frame training bike right now.

This sucks big time. Been on holiday at my folks in SImonstown for the past three weeks and have been riding the route on a regular basis. It's sad that we need to ride in groups to ensure our safety.

Ride that route a lot, and one of the attractions is the feeling if being in a remote area.

Suppose it goes without saying that a lone cyclist on a bling bike is a high prized soft target, the guys clearly know etat to shop for. very happy to stay on my sora equipped 24 speed machine(which does the job fine).

Been on vacation in CT for 2 weeks and rode this route with my brother at least 4 times. I did ride on a loaner Orbea and must say that there are more than one time when strange cars are stopping and making weird turns while out in the nature reserve, Ocean View and Scarborough area. These crooks are targetting specific bikes and know the value of this easy score. The cops and politicians need to get involved before we have a tragedy. In the meantime ride your older bikes while training, have scheduled check-ins with family and try ride in groups.

Edited by NeoOne