Introducing myself *cough cough*

The_Real_Jacko

Hi there fellow pedal steppers. Apologies for only introducing myself after two or three posts, but here goes:

I live in Slaapstad, home of the Southeaster, rude cyclists (ja, I chuckled at THAT thread), expensive real estate, right-lane hogging and WP jou lekker ding.

I only recently started MTBing. In fact, I'm still only working on my cycling fitness (actually I'm working on developing a harder posterior) and intend to commute two to three days per week, courtesy of the lekker cycle lanes that run past Sunset Beach where I reside, all the way to the city centre. My poison of choice the last three years has been running, but I'd like to mix up my running with something less punishing on the joints.

I'm a total newbie ito of cycling. Well, during the last almost thirty years, as I used to race BMX quite seriously and was invited to part take in SA champs in 1983.

I actually took a break for adventure motorcycling since April and enjoyed riding my BMW HP2 Enduro all over the Western, Eastern and Northern Cape and Namibia. For the immediate future I'll have to stick to my white, 4x4 double cab. How's that for a unique choice of wheels?

I want to conclude by saying that this bicycle thing is very hard work compared to a 100hp dualsport bike. :wacko:

Edited by The_Real_Jacko

Hi Jaco

Welcome.

Just remember cycling never gets any easier. You just get faster.

Good luck and keep going, your fitness will improve.

Welcome. Being a runner, you will discover that cycling is for sissies in comparison, or so I have been told. I do not run, as I love my knees too much..

Hey there TRJ! You still have that HP2? For sale maybe...?

Nope, sold in April. It had almost R40K worth of bling on... HPN tank from Germany, handbuilt rear shock with remote piggyback reservoir, revalved forks, different springs (all Martin Paetzhold), some Touratech goodies like crash bars and bashplate, Hepco & Becker luggage rack, CAD designed instrument & nav cluster fairing.

In the end I sold it for as much as I bought it for four years earlier. But you always lose. :cursing:

Due to my work I travel a lot and I also test vehicles, so I was riding less and less. Eventually I had to replace another battery and decided to sell and wait for a few years before I get back into biking. I've done almost everything there is to do as an adventure biker. Did the Advanced course with Jan Staal, did numerous GS Challenges, was 4th member (media rider) of team SA in the 2010 International GS Trophy were we came 2nd.

I think I just reached a stage where I wanted new challenges. Right now (apart from wehk), my priorities are fitness and my shooting (rifle and pistol) and meat hunting.

Oh, and the wife too. :D

Edited by The_Real_Jacko

Welcome. Being a runner, you will discover that cycling is for sissies in comparison, or so I have been told.

I'm not going to be drawn into an ambush so soon. :D

I have an opinion, but I'm keeping it to myself. Let's just say that you cannot freewheel your takkies. :clap:

Almost on page 2 and nobody has attacked you yet? WELL DONE.

To help you get started, why did you pick MTB? :ph34r:

I think my BMX and dual-purpose motorbike background made it a no-brainer...