Babbas - Franco sports

Active Monkey

Know people say don't complain but really? 70 km turned out to be less than 60. Water point almost at the end and to top it off no coldrink at the end ... Well they had a half a bottle mountain dew that cost me 5 bucks for a plastic cup. This for 180?

Sorry guys you will never see me again.

Ja ek hoor jou. . Did the 30 (supposed 35). Came off the bike a few times . . Eina! Also wanted a cooldrink at the finish - did not expect to have it served in a cup.

My concern is the sand on the downhill sections - very dangerous. A guy came off at speed in front of me. Looked like a broken clavicle.

Also R130 is becoming bit too much for a 30km

I have done many - sort off like a time trial (close to home, repeatable, regular race etc.). Lately I have noticed many little things slipping. NB: I was not there today, so a more general comment.

I'm not sure if you got your facts right as the online price for the 70 was R150 and R170 on the day. As for the route distance it is normally about 64kms and fast. Today's route was somewhat different in that they added some nice single track in the first 10kms. The normal route was also very different in that the recent rains severely scoured the jeep track and created patches of really thick sand in virtually every depression. They also changed the route after the climb and I suspect because the normal route was also badly affected by the rain and was dangerous being the only steep downhill on the course. This shortened the course by about 4km per lap.

What is also interesting is that the winning time for what was 56kms was almost identical to that of the normal 64kms route and so was mine. So I guess if you measure the event in terms of Rands per minute it did not differ significantly from the previous events at Babbas. As for the drinks at the end this is not an issue for me as I generally bring my own, but I can understand the disappointment if your expectations were different to mine.

The reason that I felt compelled to respond to this thread is that I feel that we need to support the "privateer" organisers. These guys put on races with minimal sponsorship and without our support there would be no more Babbas Lodge races. However, criticism is also important if it is intended to improve the event but if it is intended to destroy the event we need to think carefully about this. To support my argument it would seem that we have already lost the Voriberg event, I suspect for different reasons, but it does show how fragile the viability of these events are.

I have always enjoyed babbas and will continue to do so .Has anybody else noticed how few events there are in Gauteng compared to the Western cape and other parts .There are hardly any proper gauteng events in the first 6months of the year

Hell we can complain about nothing Realy to say Babbas wont see you again is a bit much. Talk ti andre and sort out the problems.

We also try and do all the Babas events as a family and participate in all the different distances - great local race that is constant and gives good references for your fitness level. I agree we should rather vent our frustrations to the event organisers in a spirit to help improve vs destroy!!!

I personally do not think any mtb'er wants to see a race cancelled/"destroyed" - there already are only a few available.

Yesterday was my third Babba's - and by far the most difficult due to all the sand. You could never push yourself on the straights and downhills, the sand and "trenches" from all the rain made it just too dangerous.

My opinion - the organizers should remember such an event has a lot to do with 'consumerism'. The riders want to consume proper drinks and food afterwards. That includes the spectators also.

Anyway, my bit

I find it strange that you guys mention getting your drinks in a cup at the end of the race.

From where I was standing, I saw most riders get their medal handed to them, as well as 2 small bags, one with water, and the other with either guava, orange or litchi juice.

That has always been how it works at Babbas.

The independent food vendors may have run out of cold drinks later in the day.

At prize giving time (around 11am) they still had a few Coke Zero's and beers available.

I have never seen them sell drinks by the cup.

• 2 months later...

Legends, howzit.

Was planning on doing my first Babbas this Sunday, but hearing the talk of rain/track difficulty, should I reconsider?

Is it worth me going all that way (from 4ways) for an unenjoyable 30kms?

Legends, howzit.

Was planning on doing my first Babbas this Sunday, but hearing the talk of rain/track difficulty, should I reconsider?

Is it worth me going all that way (from 4ways) for an unenjoyable 30kms?

Hi there

I think this coming Babbas is going to be good. There has been a lot of rain, the sand should be compacted. Might be little muddy, but will be much better than in January. Also, they added an additional 4km of flowing singletrack at the end. It is a guaranteed 35km. There was 190 odd riders on the 35 last time. Thoroughly enjoyed the last one.

Edited by cjlieben

Hi there

I think this coming Babbas is going to be good. There has been a lot of rain, the sand should be compacted. Might be little muddy, but will be much better than in January. Also, they added an additional 4km of flowing singletrack at the end. It is a guaranteed 35km. There was 190 odd riders on the 35 last time. Thoroughly enjoyed the last one.

Thanks mate. Haven't been muddy for a while, think it may be time again.