650b Rocket Ron is rubbish

Natural Defender

everything eventually deflates, even fully tubeless compatible tyres. Context man!

The truth of the matter, is that Schwalbe tyres are not fully UST compatible, the requirements of which is that the bead be tubeless compatible, as well as the sidewalls. In Schwalbe's case, they clearly mark their product as TLR, or tubeless ready. This is in reference to the bead which is UST compliant. The sidewalls are not, hence the recommendation to use sealant.

Another truth is that snakeskin is just for sidewall protection. It will not help protect against punctures. If the product is marked DD for Double Defense, it has sidewall as well as puncture protection. The Schwalbe ZX DD road tyre is such an example, and what an excellent tyre it is!

I am pretty sure you get UST schwalbe's, check line for on this link as an example...but yes, tubeless ready <> UST / Tubeless

http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/off-road_tires/nobby_nic_hs411

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a misprint tbh, as I've personally never seen a fully UST compliant MTB tyre from Schwalbe, that includes XC or DH tyres. I think Schwalbe believes the weight savings outweighs anything else, aka sealant is sufficient. My long term use of Schwalbe products suggests they are right. Hell, i'd choose a schwalbe TLR tyre over a maxxis UST compliant DH tyre any day of the year.

Rocket Ron, Racing Ralph, Nobby Nic are all different models with different tread patterns. These all come in Evo and Snakeskin versions, which have differing sidewall thikness.

I enjoy the Rocket Ron. You are using the Evo version which although "tubeless ready" are extremely thin and light weight.

You can expect sidewall airloss and the cut you describe. This can be avoided to a degree by using the snakeskin version which is heavier, as it has heavier sidewalls protection. You can also concentrate on rideing a better line :)

Although you add to the weight of your machine, you have more peace of mind with the snakeskin version. This doesnt guarantee no punctures or cuts, but they are more robust.

Edited by Li Mu Bai

I think it's a misprint tbh, as I've personally never seen a fully UST compliant MTB tyre from Schwalbe, that includes XC or DH tyres. I think Schwalbe believes the weight savings outweighs anything else, aka sealant is sufficient. My long term use of Schwalbe products suggests they are right. Hell, i'd choose a schwalbe TLR tyre over a maxxis UST compliant DH tyre any day of the year.

I have seen nobby nic's in UST at the lab a while, but they are they not common I will admit. If you want them you probably have to go crc. I am with you on the weight saving thing...the tubeless ready, snakeskin have never dropped me and they don't particularly shine in something but is pretty good at everything

Tough enough

Light enough

Available enough

Seals easy enough

Rolls good enough

Grips enough

Those are non-snakeskin - schoolboy error. Get snakeskins.

i agree, been on Racing Ralph Snakeskins for a year.. rode plenty various terrain, unforgiving rocky to sharp twigs and fellings ..

Mounted and sealed first time on American Classic 29er rims [ Hardtail ,68kg rider! ]

(been on Snakeskin version on previous bike too )

Edited by shade

I blew 2 in one ride in the Karoo this holiday back on contis and maxxis!!

Snakeskin's? haaaibo...I can't believe

Currently have 2 maxxis ikons on my fongkong....very prone to puncturing, so any weight saving is null do having to put in double the amount of stan's....call them my plug and play tires..

Snakeskin's? haaaibo...I can't believe

Currently have 2 maxxis ikons on my fongkong....very prone to puncturing, so any weight saving is null do having to put in double the amount of stan's....call them my plug and play tires..

Nah they weren't snakeskins but I have had bad experiences with Schwalbes before. Not a fan although the ride is awesome.

On the other hand I have not had a puncture on my Maxxis for a good two years just the occasional sealant check and topup.

I suppose it's really a personal thing :)

Nah they weren't snakeskins but I have had bad experiences with Schwalbes before. Not a fan although the ride is awesome.

On the other hand I have not had a puncture on my Maxxis for a good two years just the occasional sealant check and topup.

I suppose it's really a personal thing :)

Dude seriously the snakeskin's and normal evo's are worlds apart, I won't even fit the standard evo's if they were given to me for free....the snakeskin's I will buy at a premium.

Try the snakeskin's next time, awesome awesome tyres.

Dude seriously the snakeskin's and normal evo's are worlds apart, I won't even fit the standard evo's if they were given to me for free....the snakeskin's I will buy at a premium.

Try the snakeskin's next time, awesome awesome tyres.

Like I said they ride lekker but yeah I hear ya and will definitely give them a go then.

Where is the best place to buy? I need 650B x 2.1 or 2.25 (probably 2.1 for more XC)

Like I said they ride lekker but yeah I hear ya and will definitely give them a go then.

Where is the best place to buy? I need 650B x 2.1 or 2.25 (probably 2.1 for more XC)

Easybike...the 2.25 has lekker volume.

Remember has to be snakeskin

Meant to say the normal ones roll well but will give the snakeskins a go!! :)

Meant to say the normal ones roll well but will give the snakeskins a go!! :)

The snakeskin's roll just as lekker...same tread pattern, they just a bit tougher.

Rolling with 2.25 Racing Ralph at the back and 2.25 Rocket Ron upfront. Both slangvel and I would not use another combo if I had any other choice.

As pointed out earlier one should not underestimate the role that the rim plays in the application of your rubbers

everything eventually deflates, even fully tubeless compatible tyres. Context man!

The truth of the matter, is that Schwalbe tyres are not fully UST compatible, the requirements of which is that the bead be tubeless compatible, as well as the sidewalls. In Schwalbe's case, they clearly mark their product as TLR, or tubeless ready. This is in reference to the bead which is UST compliant. The sidewalls are not, hence the recommendation to use sealant.

Another truth is that snakeskin is just for sidewall protection. It will not help protect against punctures. If the product is marked DD for Double Defense, it has sidewall as well as puncture protection. The Schwalbe ZX DD road tyre is such an example, and what an excellent tyre it is!

The Nobby Nics (snakeskin) & Conti Race Kings I have on my old Trance only lost a minimal amount of air after not being ridden for almost a year. I will only buy three brands of tyres. Conti, Scwalbe or WTB for me nothing else comes close.

The Nobby Nics (snakeskin) & Conti Race Kings I have on my old Trance only lost a minimal amount of air after not being ridden for almost a year. I will only buy three brands of tyres. Conti, Scwalbe or WTB for me nothing else comes close.