Best full suspension for around 25k?

StevieL

There is a new merida 2013 nintey nine carbon xt at linden cycles fir R25000. Is this equivalent to the anthem?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a new merida 2013 nintey nine carbon xt at linden cycles fir R25000. Is this equivalent to the anthem?

what components,rims,hub etc

I saw a Scott Spark 950 at Westdene for R22k. Looks helluva nice too.

Is this in the Giants league, or not really?

Fox suspension front and back, XT rear mech, Deore brakes.

post-6252-0-82738500-1389247852_thumb.jpg

post-6252-0-50498800-1389247883_thumb.jpg

post-6252-0-54887100-1389247902_thumb.jpg

Edited by StevieL

OK, so I have no more than 25 000 to spend. Looking for a 29er for around this price...

What is the best value for money?

The Giant Anthem X looks like a good buy. A friend has one and swears by it...

What else should I be looking at?

I have a Santa Cruz Tall Boy 29 aluminium for you almost new view on the web under dual suspension for R15000 frame alone now is R25000

On the Merida and the Scott - can't really place them in the same bracket as the Giant, as they were designed to act "like hardtails" even though they're FS bikes. I'd say they're more along the lines of the extreme race bikes, and not as durable and flexible (from a terrain perspective) as the Giant.

Any FS bike that is designed to act like a hardtail in certain conditions shouldn't be called an FS bike, imo

Last year this time I was looking at the anthem, epic comp, merida and scott. Anthem seems more versatile in that it is "an xc bike with trail manners" (I think thats from pinkbike) whereas the others are more race oriented.

For value on the components.... merida > giant > scott > spez. I went with the giant and upgraded the shifters and crank to xt, added geax tnt tyres and walked out at 25k on the nose.

Am I happy? Hells bells yes, but last years paint wasn't the best.

Would I change anything? Yes. Would have left the slx crank on and upgraded the brakes as well.... last years was avid 5s, this years is slx.

If I had 25k now for a bike..... anthem for sure... xt shifters upgrade only. Plus this years paint looks amazeballs.

How are the wheels? I'm clocking 110kgs, and haven't had any issues.

Last year this time I was looking at the anthem, epic comp, merida and scott. Anthem seems more versatile in that it is "an xc bike with trail manners" (I think thats from pinkbike) whereas the others are more race oriented.

For value on the components.... merida > giant > scott > spez. I went with the giant and upgraded the shifters and crank to xt, added geax tnt tyres and walked out at 25k on the nose.

Am I happy? Hells bells yes, but last years paint wasn't the best.

Would I change anything? Yes. Would have left the slx crank on and upgraded the brakes as well.... last years was avid 5s, this years is slx.

If I had 25k now for a bike..... anthem for sure... xt shifters upgrade only. Plus this years paint looks amazeballs.

How are the wheels? I'm clocking 110kgs, and haven't had any issues.

I had the same thing last year, luckily my budget was little higher around 35k, but could not find anything close to the Anthem Advanced.

If I had 25k to spend, no question, the Anthem X1 without a doubt. Best suspension in the business. This bike is happy with the smooth gravel as well as the gnarly stuff. It was the only 29er 100mm travel bike in the Trail Bike of the Year 2013 finalists. That says a lot.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-giant-anthem-x1-11-40872/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNENJFxwpfE

Edited by dee_biker

Personally I would avoid Giant as their 29ers are known for having quite long chainstays which can give the bike a sluggish response, so I would compare those on whatever bikes I was looking at, along with components. Depends what you are wanting to use your bike for too, I guess. I have a Scott Spark 920 which I love.

Personally I would avoid Giant as their 29ers are known for having quite long chainstays which can give the bike a sluggish response, so I would compare those on whatever bikes I was looking at, along with components. Depends what you are wanting to use your bike for too, I guess. I have a Scott Spark 920 which I love.

I wouldn't take it as far as avoid, but yes you do have a point, they don't feel as nippy / zippy / response in the tight stuff.

Merida CF XT spec

Fork Fox 32 Float 29 CTD Remote-Ready O/C **(1.5T) - Evo 120

Shock Fox Float CTD Remote BV SV - Factory

Derailleur Front Shimano Deore XT HD Triple

Derailleur Rear Shimano Deore XT Shadow+

Shifter Front Shimano Deore XT ispec

Shifter Rear Shimano Deore XT ispec

Brake Front Shimano M596 180 mm Cen

Brake Rear Shimano M596 180 mm Cen

Chainwheel Shimano Deore XT 40-30-22

Chain KMC X10 10s

Hub Front Shimano Deore Cen

Hub Rear Shimano Deore-12 Cen

Rim Merida Big.Nine Pro D

Freewheel Shimano CS-HG-10 11-36

Tires Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29 Perf. 2.25 fold / Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29 Perf. 2.25 fold

Spokes black stainless

Handlebar Stem Merida Pro Carbon -5°

Handlebar Merida Pro OS 680 Flat

Headset Big Conoid A-Bearing

Seat Post Merida Carbon H SB0 31.6 mm

Saddle Selle Italia X1

Pedal XC Alloy

Weight 13.20 kg

Is it worth R25K?

Edited by flashfozzy

On the Merida and the Scott - can't really place them in the same bracket as the Giant, as they were designed to act "like hardtails" even though they're FS bikes. I'd say they're more along the lines of the extreme race bikes, and not as durable and flexible (from a terrain perspective) as the Giant.

Any FS bike that is designed to act like a hardtail in certain conditions shouldn't be called an FS bike, imo

In my opinion these bikes are in the same bracket as in 29er 100mm dually. The Giant seems more versatile because the suspension works so well. It is my opinion that the Giant is probably just a better bike.