Thaba trails hike-a-bike

l4y3rcake

So coming from mostly rietvlei and van gaalens experience I have some advice for the noobs. Rietvlei blue trails and Thaba blue trails are not the same thing. I dont think I've spent this much time off the bike before. The first 6 km took me just over an hour to complete. If you don't have the skills do the green route or go to rietvlei.

Now you know what you are in for next time you go there.

Thing witht haba is, it needs a good measure of skills and fitness in adition to having some preparedness for the trails.

It gets easier the more you go.

The Blue is PROPER technical riding. An absolute pleasure for those of us who love that type of thing. One of the very few, if any places in Gauteng that are exciting to ride for the skillful... Everything you walked is rideable with enough practice.

The Blue is PROPER technical riding. An absolute pleasure for those of us who love that type of thing. One of the very few, if any places in Gauteng that are exciting to ride for the skillful... Everything you walked is rideable with enough practice.

Saw you pulling in as we headed this morning.

More on the topic as been said before. Thaba is all rideable and an amazing test of skill. Love it.

The trails are beautiful. If we left out the split to the right of heartbreak hill we would have been fine. I'll deffinately be back. The downhill sections are awesome and flows perfectly.

Someone mentioned this place to me while we were road riding in the Cradle this morning - and now here it is being discussed :-)

Been there once myself, probably good if you are training for XC racing. I prefer more flowing trails, and the journey, not loops up and down the koptjie.

Someone mentioned this place to me while we were road riding in the Cradle this morning - and now here it is being discussed :-)

It's really worth while. And Hardley up and down the kopjie as someone mentioned. Lol.

• 4 weeks later...

I went there yesterday and found the blue trails rocky and eroded. I hadn't been there for quite a few months.There were sections that I've cleared before which look pretty impossible now. The fact that it was slippery didn't help. I only did the first blue loop because I was just walking too much.

Otherwise the green trail is lovely and the game there is thriving. It's a nice spot to ride.