Need to move from flats to cleats, what do I need?

breaker

My first 8 months of mtb I rode flats! Eventually got the bug to swithch to cleats! Had a few falls on the trail at low speed forgetting to unclip and even infront of all the other riders at the coffee shop!...however within a few rides that discipated and now a few years on I unconciously unclip even during high speed crashes,except for those few knarley exceptions!...had some bad ones! But never considerd going back to flats!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got some five tens and flat pedals and finally got around to putting them on this last weekend. I've heard much about cleats allowing you get away with suspect technique which will limit you in the long run ("cleating" is "cheating").

So I put them on and first time I try to bunny hop I go up and the bike stays rolling on the ground. I got a bit more used to them after a couple of rides, but I'm open to suggestions as to how to get the feet to stay planted especially when hopping or popping. On or two small jumps or drops I tried it was quite disconcerting when the feed left the pedals mid air. Maybe it just takes a bit of getting used to to get the feet and the bike moving together. So too early to tell for me whether flats are the way forward, but I'm going to stick with it for a while at least and try to get a proper bunny hop and some other skills going. I'm much happier to try things like wheelies and manuals in flats.

As for riding with cleats I never had problems getting out in a hurry, but have had the odd issue with unintentionally unclipping. The embarrassing noob phase of forgetting how to unclip and wiping out in the parking lot doesn't last very long and is nothing to be afraid of.

Ultimately I don't think it's a bad thing to learn to do both, obviously depending on the type of riding you do.

Yo beanz, it does take time to adjust, that's for sure. You essentially have to relearn the whole technique, from scratch, the proper way. Cleats allow you to pull up with your legs when attempting a hop, Whereas proper hopping requires a pre load and then a proper jump. Think of it like a step up (in gym terms) you don't just lift your legs and hope for the best. You compress and then spring with all your might.

Same as a hop. Compress (as if you were pumping the back side of a jump to gain more speed) then lift the front as if to manual and release.

The foot contact thing comes with keeping your heels down and relaxing your legs. Give it time. It took about 10 rides for me to get okay with the idea, and on certain stuff the pedals still get away from me. But if I ever go back to cleats (I may, who knows) I now know the proper technique.

Sauser,kulharvey and many other inspiring mountain bikers use those same flats don't they? :wacko:

Oh no they use CLEATS! Silly me !

Just saying-stir stir :whistling:

After 8 years of riding cleated for more than 100 000km on road bikes and mountain bikes, I have decided to try flats late last year. I got myself 510 freerider VXi and shimano Saint pedals.

My main reason was to improve skill, which I am constantly working at.

I did over 1000km of riding on flats the last 6 weeks, and switched back to cleats

After the first long ride, my hip flexors felt quite fatigued and my core muscles worked a lot harder. It forces you to draw stability from your core, and not from the fact that you are attached to the bike. In my opinion flat pedals will also expose muscle imbalances very quickly, you will struggle to pedal effectively if one leg is stronger than the other.

On the skills front, I have become a much smoother rider. My body and bike flows with the trail instead of your bike just going where your body goes when you are cleated.

Is say try both, and cycle between both platforms... Haha... It has made me a better rider.

I will be riding with cleats at Attakwas. But flats all the way for technical rides with jumps and big drops.

Sauser,kulharvey and many other inspiring mountain bikers use those same flats don't they? :wacko:

Oh no they use CLEATS! Silly me !

Just saying-stir stir :whistling:

Ofcourse! How could I forget that xc is the only mtb discipline!

Yo beanz, it does take time to adjust, that's for sure. You essentially have to relearn the whole technique, from scratch, the proper way. Cleats allow you to pull up with your legs when attempting a hop, Whereas proper hopping requires a pre load and then a proper jump. Think of it like a step up (in gym terms) you don't just lift your legs and hope for the best. You compress and then spring with all your might.

Same as a hop. Compress (as if you were pumping the back side of a jump to gain more speed) then lift the front as if to manual and release.

The foot contact thing comes with keeping your heels down and relaxing your legs. Give it time. It took about 10 rides for me to get okay with the idea, and on certain stuff the pedals still get away from me. But if I ever go back to cleats (I may, who knows) I now know the proper technique.

Thanks Mayhem

Thanx for the info and experiences people, much appreciated. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

And yes this topic is now grossly misnamed due to my lack of knowledge which is slowly increasing.

I am in fact riding in my asics running shoes on bear traps and not flats.

I must say though, that after reading these threads I'm keener to try out proper flats before cleats.

Not that I wouldn't try cleats, but I think I'll get some flats first.

As to the to the type of riding I do, mostly tokai trails and also throw on slicks for the odd road race like die burger and the argus.

I'll have to wait till next month anyway so hopefully the Rond will be doing better, got delivery of my XT SPD's this morning. Thanks for the info, much appreciated. :thumbup:

Keep in mind that the ones from Superstar are basically the same thing (kinda identical) and they come in fancy colours ^_^

post-24697-0-61802500-1389681316_thumb.jpg

Whats the story with the shoes for these flat? I assume that the sole just has a pattern that sort of hooks into the little studs on the peddles?

You don't want a sole pattern with big knobs but a more even small patterned sole.

I think this thread should be renamed to "Need to move from cleats to flats, what do I need"

or "How to enjoy flats"

Edited by porqui