Is Karkloof trails as good as they say?

Cycle88

Hi guys and girls,

I am making my way to KZN in the next couple months for business and as always am taking my MTB along with for the trip... I am wanting to find out if the Karkloof trails are as good as the media make them out to be???

I also want to find out if it is worth making a trip down on the weekend of the 10-11 May 2014 for the race as this has had a lot of positive hype too?

Shot

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hells Yes!

Love that place! Can't go wrong with the 30km loop, or the 15km falls loop.

Scenic, flowing, fun!

My personal favourite segments on those 2 loops:

• Boogaloo
  • Sappi Chappy
  • Freefall & Dragons Back
  • Buriser's Burn
  • Boomslang

Go ride them, you won't regret it!

In short: YES!

Only congested in races, hardly see anyone else out on trails on regular weekend rides...

Dude those trails are life changing ...

The Outback Trails (60km out towards Lebanon ... and the Enduro Stuff) is off limits at the moment due to road building or something in the forests that the trails are in .... will be open by May though so not to worry.

But as the others say - the 30km loop is NUTS! - you link this onto the 15km falls loop for a 45 and you have some of the BEST riding out ....

Its good to go and do the race to get an idea of where the trails go - but they are so well marked that you cant get lost even if you are on your own.

Personally I prefer it outside of the event as its less crowded and you get to SMASH the singletrack ...

Prepare for a tired face at the end of your ride from smiling so much!

Edited by nigelhicks

Karkloof rocks. FACT.

I rode there ages ago when I lived in KZN and last year a group of us made two long weekend trips to the area specifically to go ride.

My opinion is that Karkloof has the most awesome trails. They differ from most of the stuff we have here in Gauteng in that they are exceptionally flowy and that there is some serious gradient to work with (up :( and down :w00t:). +1 for the 30km and 15km loops.

Also go have a look at the Howick trails - they are also awesome!

Edited by Memnon

Also Hylton told me the other day that they are preparing to build a completely NEW 30/40km loop there that will also be wild! .... and that should be done for the Karkloof Classic this year ... so should be amazing

Karkloof rocks. FACT.

My opinion is that Karkloof has the most awesome trails.

That says it all.

Also Hylton told me the other day that they are preparing to build a completely NEW 30/40km loop there that will also be wild! .... and that should be done for the Karkloof Classic this year ... so should be amazing

Can not wait to go!!

I love going to Karkloof and will go any weekend!

if anyone says that those trails are crap they need their head read! .... or they must just go back to playing chess or tiddlywinks!

Agreed, still have not ridden anything better. This after riding there in December, as well as riding in Jozi, Eastern Cape & Western Cape during the holidays.

On a side note, I believe we have a mutual friend in Mark Hill :thumbup:

You guys are legends, thanks... I have heard there is a down hill course too, is that really gnarly or is it as insane as you make the Out rides to be?

Shot for all the help and advice!!!

There is a DH track - and its pretty gnarly!

Some MASSIVE road gaps with no real B-lines ... and friss mad rock gardens ...

Issue is you need permission to ride that track as you cant shuttle it in an open back van as Sappi wont allow it for safety reasons.

The top of the track AFAIK is overgrown, but the lower portion should be clear ... But again that is out towards the Outback Trails and that section is closed at the moment.