Extreme Makeover - Morewood Edition

patches

So when you making a 'Team Morewood' sticker for the van?

:P

hahaha! First I need a Morewood team kit like the one that Mr Lightning-Pyjamas has. Have to admit that I'm rather envious of that Morewood kit.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha so what is in the stable now? Is the trials bike the only thing not from Morewood?

That blue is badass

Makulu

Sukuma (frame and fork only)

Ndiza

Izimu (frame only)

Cannondale Jekyll (until the end of the month)

Cotic Soul (hasn't been ridden in a while)

Zoo trials bike.

So still a few non M's

Edited by patches

Got the Preval kit (R130 for kit. R85 for refill) from Builders Warehouse. Plastidip was from there too (R230 for 673mm colourmix kit. I used 300ml of that and still have left over).

The thinning solvent was the tricky one to find. The kit suggests Naptha. After going to a few paint shops and getting told "We've never heard of Naptha", I decided to do some research.

Naptha is a hydrocarbon solvent in the same family as Tourene and Xylene. Naptha has the fastest evaporation rate of the 3, then Tourene, then Xylene.

However fast evaporation isn't always good, when it comes to a smooth finish. So the pro's recommend a solution of 35% Naptha to 65% Tourene, or 40% Naptha to 60% Xylene. I could only find Xylene (Ilex makes it. R110 for 750ml from Jack's Paint). I then spoke to a car spraying guru and he said that with SA temperatures, slow evaporating is better. So I didn't bother continuing the search for Naptha, and settled on a 1:1 Plastidip to Xylene mix.

It dries pretty quick. 5 min and a coat is dry to the touch. Finish is satin smooth.

Cool.

Thanks!

So here's my idea for the top of the top tube. The S will be closest to the head tube

post-10758-0-09123700-1389689673_thumb.jpg

It's a rough idea and I'm still working on the design as a whole.

Makulu

Sukuma (frame and fork only) soon to be built

Ndiza

Izimu (frame only) wall decoration

Cannondale Jekyll (until the end of the month) basically gone

Cotic Soul (hasn't been ridden in a while) To be thrown in the bin or donated to your little bro

Zoo trials bike Stick Morewood stickers on, that's what the pro's do

So still a few non M's All Sorted

MakuluSukuma (frame and fork only)NdizaIzimu (frame only)Cannondale Jekyll (until the end of the month)Cotic Soul (hasn't been ridden in a while)Zoo trials bike.So still a few non M's
Man you stable makes me jealous. What's up with the Izimu frame when you have the Makulu Peach explained..Production privee also do a similar colour schemehttp://www.production-privee.com/Files/42527/Img/02/917-GARAGE-34-980x500.jpg Edited by BikeBailing

I meant the whole frame as I the picture shown above in blue. .... it is clear that blue was the colour chosen.

Jeez. Relax a bit. You are allowed to be wrong from time to time.... Nobody's judging.

Man you stable makes me jealous. What's up with the Izimu frame when you have the Makulu.

Production privee also do a similar colour scheme

http://www.production-privee.com/Files/42527/Img/02/917-GARAGE-34-980x500.jpg

yeah, love the colours on that Shan.

As for the Izimu... it was the first bike I bought. I cracked it and replaced it. Over a year later I stumbled across it (it was supposed to go to the scrap yard), so I bought it for sentimental/wall mounting purposes

kool - where did you find the "amazing spray paint' kit?

Builder's Warehouse. They have the refills too. I've used approx 1.5 canisters of propellant for the frame.

kool - where did you find the "amazing spray paint' kit?

Let me answer this one....

Got the Preval kit (R130 for kit. R85 for refill) from Builders Warehouse. Plastidip was from there too (R230 for 673mm colourmix kit. I used 300ml of that and still have left over).

The thinning solvent was the tricky one to find. The kit suggests Naptha. After going to a few paint shops and getting told "We've never heard of Naptha", I decided to do some research.

Naptha is a hydrocarbon solvent in the same family as Tourene and Xylene. Naptha has the fastest evaporation rate of the 3, then Tourene, then Xylene.

However fast evaporation isn't always good, when it comes to a smooth finish. So the pro's recommend a solution of 35% Naptha to 65% Tourene, or 40% Naptha to 60% Xylene. I could only find Xylene (Ilex makes it. R110 for 750ml from Jack's Paint). I then spoke to a car spraying guru and he said that with SA temperatures, slow evaporating is better. So I didn't bother continuing the search for Naptha, and settled on a 1:1 Plastidip to Xylene mix.

It dries pretty quick. 5 min and a coat is dry to the touch. Finish is satin smooth.

Man you stable makes me jealous. What's up with the Izimu frame when you have the Makulu Peach explained..Production privee also do a similar colour schemehttp://www.production-privee.com/Files/42527/Img/02/917-GARAGE-34-980x500.jpg

That is such a sexy bike ... head on out to the Long Travel hardtail thread for more pics of this bike and other dead sexy LTHT's

So I collected the vinyl yesterday. I wasn't sure on what shade of orange, so I ordered 2. Now I'm even less sure :lol:

post-10758-1389762710,1885.jpg

The one on the left had that more retro appearance. The one on the right is probably closer to the orange on the Gulf cars.

I'm thinking that using both in a clever manner might actually give a pretty cool 70s look.

Hmmmmm...

Edited by patches