Top Posters In This Topic

The Greipel vs Kittel Show

Greipel to take the sprints, I reckon.

He loves this event.

But, let's see...

Greipel to take the sprints, I reckon.

He loves this event.

But, let's see...

He was playing down his chances the other day. Mind games?

He was playing down his chances the other day. Mind games?

Oh yeah

He's won the overall jersey a few times, the Gorilla.

Loves to perform and claim some early season wins.

GO KITTEL

Heat waves in Oz...

4 days to go to start...

From Tweetiebird

50C (122F) on a SRM display-Twitter (Trek Factory team) @laurent_didier

Heat waves in Oz...

4 days to go to start...

From Tweetiebird

50C (122F) on a SRM display-Twitter (Trek Factory team) @laurent_didier

And then the fires might prevent stage one from taking place.

Decision to be made on Monday afternoon

Having experienced the hottest weather in the world this week, Adelaide is now bracing itself for bushfires which are threatening the go ahead of the Tour Down Under’s Stage 1. Race director Mike Turtur explained at the pre-race press conference that the organisers are listening closely to experts and taking updates on the situation in the Barossa Valley. On Saturday afternoon, an emergency fire warning was announced for the Eden Valley fire in the Barossa which was travelling North.

"If it's a no-go zone for the Barossa, it's a no-go zone, it's as simple as that. It's possible that there will be a cancellation of the stage depending on the advice of the correct people," Turtur said.

Edited by Cellar

Kittel is starting off strong in the opening event. Gonna be a fun year for the fast men.

------------------------------------------------------

Marcel Kittel (Giant-Shimano) took a narrow win over Andre Greipel (Lotto-Belisol) to record his first People's Choice Classic win and first victory for the new Giant-Shimano team. Despite taking control of the race, Lotto had only one rider left for Greipel who has forced to start his sprint early and couldn't quite match the speed of Kittel.

Greipel's team had come to the front in the final laps after Team Sky had tried to set the win up for CJ Sutton but ran out of gas letting Lotto and Giant-Shimano take over on the front and set up their German powerhouse sprinters.

The race was 10m too long by Greipel's estimation as Kittel proved the faster finisher with Caleb Ewan was a length back after being boxed in against the inside right rail 150m from the line.

post-15825-0-47419300-1390133095_thumb.png

Kittel is starting off strong in the opening event. Gonna be a fun year for the fast men.

------------------------------------------------------

Marcel Kittel (Giant-Shimano) took a narrow win over Andre Greipel (Lotto-Belisol) to record his first People's Choice Classic win and first victory for the new Giant-Shimano team. Despite taking control of the race, Lotto had only one rider left for Greipel who has forced to start his sprint early and couldn't quite match the speed of Kittel.

Greipel's team had come to the front in the final laps after Team Sky had tried to set the win up for CJ Sutton but ran out of gas letting Lotto and Giant-Shimano take over on the front and set up their German powerhouse sprinters.

The race was 10m too long by Greipel's estimation as Kittel proved the faster finisher with Caleb Ewan was a length back after being boxed in against the inside right rail 150m from the line.

post-15825-0-47419300-1390133095_thumb.png

Ze two Germans going head-to-head.

Cav' will be watching with interest.

Did Gossie feature at all? He's riding for his job this year after very poor showing the last few seasons.

I think Gossie is riding in a support role - it's all about Simon Gerrans.

Yeah, makes sense...

Apparently Giovanni Visconti (Movistar) is out with a compound leg fracture after a crash in the early stages. Nice to see Renshaw in the top 10 but I thought he'd be over with Cav' in Argentina perfecting the train.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8786167 Finish video

Results:

1 Marcel Kittel (Ger) Giant-Shimano, 1:04:34

2 Andre Greipel (Ger) Lotto-Belisol, same time

3 Caleb Ewan (Aus) Uni-SA, st

4 Christ Sutton (Aus) Team Sky, st

5 Jose Joaquin Rojas (Spa) Movistar, st

6 Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step, st

7 Mark Renshaw (Aus) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step, st

8 Jonathan Cantwell (Aus) Drapac, st

9 Elia Viviani (Ita) Cannondale, st

10 Jurgen Roelandts (Bel) Lotto-Belisol, st

The Barrossa is coping it big time with the bush fires. Thoughts go back to the Firey's and the volunteer bush firemen who do such an incredible job each and every year. Legends.